Failsafe needed on a 5thscale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is the one i use it is by dimension engineering and retails for $38.56 cad

Modified Pico Failsafe (tt554)

Modified Pico Failsafe

Modified Pico Kill Switch. This is a stock Dimension Engineering Pico Switch that has been modified for large scale R/C use. This amazing little gadget will do everything you want in a failsafe. The engine will kill if:

Transmitter is turned off
Transmitter is out of range
Servo wire is cut
Battery gets disconnected

You will need to connect a wire between the pico switch and the kill switch connections on your motor and set the third channel on your radio system to be used as a 2 position switch.

Requires a 3 channel programmable radio system.

i tried to copy the photo also but it won't let me for some reason.

Evo, i'm not 100% but i've heard the Killer Bee doesn't work with the standard HPI TX, might be wrong but just be extra carefull with your first outting.
You'll need the "S" version if your going to get a Specky in the future.
I use the Annsman W3 2.4 tx and the V1 suites it nicely, its a good budget set up for £57.

There is no kill switch at all that works with the 2 channel HPI 2.4ghz radio, and there never will be because of the how the radio is designed. But the Killer Bee will work with the HPI 3 channel FM radio.

A v1 Killer Bee works with 3 channel Spekys. You only need a v2-S if you have a 2 channel Speky, or if you are already using up the 3rd channel on your Speky, like if you have a light controller.

Killer Bees start at $38usd. All Killer Bees have the buzzer and LED outputs built-in.

Join the Killer RC forum to get extra deals and discount coupons.

Last edited:
Evo, i'm not 100% but i've heard the Killer Bee doesn't work with the standard HPI TX, might be wrong but just be extra carefull with your first outting.
You'll need the "S" version if your going to get a Specky in the future.
I use the Annsman W3 2.4 tx and the V1 suites it nicely, its a good budget set up for £57.

Ive asked kent (killer), he was saying it should work plus ive checked on there chart on the website and it shows my transmitter in the v1 supporting group,well my first run im going to test then ill go crazy once i know its working lol... ill let you know how i get on should be arriving tommrow some time

There is no kill switch at all that works with the 2 channel HPI 2.4ghz radio, and there never will be because of the how the radio is designed. But the Killer Bee will work with the HPI 3 channel FM radio.

A v1 Killer Bee works with 3 channel Spekys. You only need a v2-S if you have a 2 channel Speky, or if you are already using up the 3rd channel on your Speky, like if you have a light controller.

Killer Bees start at $38usd. All Killer Bees have the buzzer and LED outputs built-in.

I know it won't work im 2 channel, mines is a 3 channel so i should be fine.

Join the Killer RC forum to get extra deals and discount coupons.

Glad you cleared that up for me Kent, i knew there was something on the HPI, wasn't sure what it was, now i know ;).
I run your V1 on my set up and works well..

i use only modified pico switches on all my rides ........and yes James they do work :rolleyes:

£27 with led and recorded delivery from jack rc

K....

killerbee has led indecators and sirens to alert you before shut down or when there is no conection. thats what i call all the bells and wistles. they are a better set up as they do more. but if you only want a regular one then you get a modified pico witch does the same but doesn't have the warning devices, it'll just shut down on ya.

As the only place I run the car is at a race meeting on the track, I don't use a kill switch or a failsafe - they do cause issues when racing and lets face it, if something gives up down the back straight it'll be toast before you can flick the switch - thats just something we have to live with.
From what I can gather the kill switch will cut the engine in case of a runaway due to servo failier ect. Will it work if for example you take a jump and make the perfect landing but the battery pack takes a jolt and disconnects itself? I'm guessing not, so you would have to have the failsafe AND the kill switch to be sure.

I do think if you're running your car in public you must have some sort of get out of jail card if only to protect others - at the end of the day, a couple of hundred quid for a damaged car Vs a broken leg or worse.

What issues? Lots of racers run our Killer Bees. Unless you have a Radio problem the kill switch won't interfere with your engine. On some tracks now remote kill switches are mandatory.

Yes the Killer Bee will kill your engine even if you loose battery power.

The Killer Bee is only $38 (£23) with cheap shipping worldwide. (UK 5-10 day shipping time)
There are also discount codes on the Killer RC forum.

Last edited:
went back and reread what i wrote. yep , maybe i needed to spell it out better for those who can't read. now please read this slowly.........." i was going to order a killerbee killswitch but since i don't run lights i don't need the extra's so i will save some money get the SAME THING but minus the extra's it still remotely shuts off motor, or loss of signal, low volts. don't need to spend the extra money for all the bell's and wistles when all i need is the safty part of it." do you understand now or do you want to keep attacking me for something i NEVER said! and voo2doo you of all people i thought would have understood what i said and ment. go back to the start of this thread and see what i wrote there. mine is the 3rd post down.
Kreb, I now see what you meant. However, while you can criticise me for my reaction, clearly I wasn't the only one who misunderstood what you wrote. I do apologise for my misunderstanding. The goods thing is that a whole lot of other people had the killswitch message reinforced through this thread, which can't be a bad thing.

PS I use a Pico switch as well
Tony

Kreb,where in my post did I slate you??? I was simply agreeing with Tony about the safety issues of a killswitch and was not condemning any of your posts,your name or post was not brought into what I said. I think you have misunderstood me as to what I have said.
I have read all the post's here and have also took on board everyones's opinion.
J.

i use only modified pico switches on all my rides ........and yes James they do work :rolleyes:

£27 with led and recorded delivery from jack rc

K....

Keith,I'm not saying the switches don't work,I'm saying they don't work on your cars because your cars DON'T WORK!:lol::lol::lol:
Tut,tu,tut.
J;)

quite alot off damage there mate, all sorted know i guess i see all you guys take it serioursly running your 5th's with killswitches i didn't realize how important they where before well i won't be running my mt untill i get the kill bee i ordered well i can't wait for tommrow my samba,killer bee and hub should be coming show my car should be on the road tommrow yaaay.

Voo you got any videos off your 5b looks awesome in orange all alloy is that the km or hpi 5b.

Later, evo.

Its a KM Evo.Cracking car,had no issues with it.I wanted to be a bit different because there were a few running orange alloy so I de-anodized mine.
Heres a vid.

J.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kreb,where in my post did I slate you??? I was simply agreeing with Tony about the safety issues of a killswitch and was not condemning any of your posts,your name or post was not brought into what I said. I think you have misunderstood me as to what I have said.
I have read all the post's here and have also took on board everyones's opinion.
J.

i'm sorry voo2doo i thought you were agreeing with tony's attack on me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks