FG diff. removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Bill

What is required to remove the rear diff. on an FG 4WD car? It almost looks like the entire car needs to be stripped to get it out, any info is appreciated . Some thing is not quite right in mine, with the wheels off the ground if I hold the rear wheels and give it some throttle the front wheels spin but the rears will spin but if you hold them tightly they don't seems to have any drive. I am thinking its the planetary gears in the rear diff.....maybe. Thanks

Last edited:
In an FG drives a gear on the rear diff
Also on the diff is the belt gear. The two gears bolt to the diff?? so either the gears have separate from the diff ( don't see this happening) or a drive cup has come out? the drive cups have splines cut into them and the just slide in. There is no grub screw holding them in. If one side is out the diff will not work.??
20191022_201153.jpg
This is my fg diff???
This is what the drive cup splines look
Like??
Screenshot_20191022-204107_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20191022-204206_Samsung Internet.jpg
And other than one pin there is nothing holding the gears in place? so the drive cup splines holding gears in place as well??

Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for the reply's I did get the rear diff. out. I bought this car used and the PO was running a one-way diff in the rear???? weird. Anyways I ordered the parts to build a conventional diff. from DDM should get me back on track.Thanks

Yes strange, there is a one-way in the front also. The car was OK but did weird things on track when least expecting it. Almost $200 for the stock parts to build a rear, I will replace the front this winter when I tear the car down for a complete rebuild. Thanks the the info guys.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks