FG MB 4WD conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t2boats

just ordered FG's 4x4 conversion kit for my MB, got it from Hobbytek (superb service from those folks!) so 2moro when it arrives i guess i'm gonna be very busy!! will post up some video footage when it's finished :w00t:

anyone ever done this conversion before and got any useful pointers?

excellent stuff, u will love it, it is by far the best 4WD conversion kit on the market, so complete and comes with everything.

looking foward to the build.

its dead easy, like everything with FG it just all makes sense :D

i'm really looking forward to it yeah, been after one for quite a while now, and the car itself has so much power available it's crying out for the extra traction. i like the look of ya MB (i take it that's yours in the avatar anyway?) my MB's yellow too, called it the yellow peril after my old VW i had years ago. goes like stink which is great fun! easy to spot on the track anyway :)

it is good value for money, for all the gear that comes with the kit, it's superb!

IT'S ARRIVED!! i can't believe how much gear comes with this kit :w00t: it's practically a whole new car :eek: and hobbythek, as usual they've provided a fast great service :cup-1:

i'd best get crackin' n build it up ;)

awesome work, post pics if you can of the build, im sure there's a few people here that have doubts of the belt system but seing it from scratch will set their mind at ease.

yep, will post up a few pix. so far both ends are made up and on the chassis with the belt drive snug in its tunnel. it's quite a nifty design really, the only difference on the chassis is the tunnel itself, which must only stand around 6mm.. which is good :)

LOL, avatar, i know... ha ha - it did used to show the combustion process but doesn't work anymore?? become still for some reason, the piston would go up n down n allsorts! got loads of pix of my MB but not sure how to shrink em down to make an avatar out of em.

anyway, i'm off to crack on with this conversion n take some pix - will stick some on later!

atom - just noticed where ya from - im working up in liverpool docks now for the winter on the ships every other week, do you go to any tracks/clubs up there? can bring mine up n go for a blast somewhere if ya get the time??

it's all finished now :)

here's a few pix:

1st - shows the chassis, front n rear diffs etc and the belt drive housed in its tunnel, all snug.

2nd - front diff and belt exposed

3rd - rear diff assembly, you can just about see the large steel gear in the housing, this is what the layshaft pinion mates to, and you can't tell how well it's meshing either :mad:

4th - engine n exhaust now fitted

5th - a closer view of the engine over the tunnel

i can only fit 5 pix on, see below post for more info!! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 94
atom - just noticed where ya from - im working up in liverpool docks now for the winter on the ships every other week, do you go to any tracks/clubs up there? can bring mine up n go for a blast somewhere if ya get the time??

Check out the Lounge - there's a group setting up a club at Deeside, which is 'a stone's throw' from the Docks - well perhaps 20-30 minutes' drive depending on traffic.
Al.

more pix cont':

1st - fuel tank and front diff cover n body mounts added
2nd - radio gear, steering, almost ready for action!
3rd - servo saver, note it doesn't mate to the chassis, hence the thick plate above, and there's a substantial bolt which holds it all together
4th - just a side view of the car
5th - all complete and ready for ripping the track up :w00t:

I thought I'd do a little write-up on what this conversion entails, not sure how many people are looking into doing this – but I can tell you now, it's well worth it for a few reasons

1.you get to know your model inside out, so when something goes wrong you can have a rough idea where n what it could be

2.having that extra driving axle is bliss when the cars' pushing out so much power. My MB's been crying out for the extra traction for a long time and is a perfect complement for it

3.it looks good, you can't really tell it's got the extra driving axle until you either get up close or see it running!

One thing I can recommend – do follow the instructions and do what they say!!! I read through them first before I touched anything and did wonder about a few issues, which when it came to that part of the modification I decided to “cut the corner” so to speak and found out the hard way – which meant going back a step, taking things apart again and doing it correctly, so don't wonder about things and just do what it says. Remember, FG is German, and we all know how well renowned they are for doing these kind of things efficiently! Just look at their automotive industry.

The conversion itself..

Here's an issue I had to go back on:
Hacksawing part of the engine casing off!! WHAT THE FU*#..??!! :eek:mg: There's a small lug which protrudes out from the fan casing on the fr'd side of the engine. When fitting the fuel tank mount plate, it has to sit higher due to the belt channel underneath. Initially when I read the instructions, I wasn't keen on chopping away chunks of the engine....I had to in the end or else the fuel tank will not fit, simple as that.

Another issue – clutch spring – a blue spring comes with the kit, and seems a lot harder than the standard spring. I haven't fitted this yet, my line of thinking with the need for it is to introduce a higher clutch release rpm – I'm guessing the 4WD drive train needs the extra oomph to get it going efficiently. I'll experiment first n see, they're easy enough to change anyway.

Gearing – it comes with a new pinion and layshaft gear. I fitted the layshaft gear as you don't really get a choice. (This next part contains my first of two gripes – as they provide a new, slightly different large engine mount, I've had to remove my alloy large engine mount :( ) When fixing the engine to the chassis, there is a 32mm horizontal screw which runs from the rear left side of the diff housing, and screws into the top part of the larger engine mount, helping the engine stay put along with the four main mount screws, underneath. So the position of the engine is kind of fixed, not much scope for installing a larger (or smaller) gear for different levels of performance. Besides, the layshaft gear lives in a small arched cover which completes the casing of the rear diff (when offered up to it) stopping any crap from getting in there, as the size of this can't really be adjusted. So it's fair to say the layshaft gearing can't be adjusted either.. (unless you fancy taking a Stanley to it!!) :w00t:
One thing I don't like involves offering the engine up to the rear diff housing - due to the layshaft gear cover, you can't clearly see if it's meshing properly with the diffs large steel gear, and I don't want to remove the cover as it stops any crap getting in there when blasting around the track/beach. I think this is an area I'm going to have to play with n come up with my own modification, why they couldn't have made it transparent instead is beyond me.. In all honesty, that's the second of the two gripes I've got with this conversion.
The pinion and spur gears – as my MB has a lot of power kicking out from it, using the standard size gears was just a nightmare. It would wheelie, spin out, and that was feathering the throttle aswell?! When the throttle was sharply opened, it would flip over... So, a while back I gave the car longer legs by fitting larger gears.. the model can still wheelie when you get it in its power band, but is not so unpredictable anymore, it's become more user friendly and I was then able to compete around the track :) and due to the power developed it can afford to have longer gearing as it still has the torque to accelerate swiftly. I also stuck with the alloy gear carrier and single large rear brake disc, it fits fine and doesn't interfere with the new diff casing in any way. So it's staying!

Exhaust – they provide a new standard muffler. On initial inspection it is slightly different at the top of the box, not quite so square, looks like someone's taken a hammer to it in the factory to flatten a few areas out?? I'm sticking with the JetPro, as it's the main reason for the MB going so flippin' quick, I don't want it to lose that at all. And I would rather modify something else than lose the exhaust.

The kit itself from FG is fantastic. Opening the large box (because there's a chassis in there), you are faced with a well packaged selection of alphabetically labelled bags. These all contain, from A to K, parts needed for the conversion, replacing many original 2WD components. You'll be amazed how much comes with it – it's practically a whole new car!!! :) you'll also utilise a few parts from the 2WD car too, like the innards of the rear diff that becomes the new front diff, shocks, driveshafts, etc... I'll draw up a list (which'll be in the order of conversion according to the instruction manual) a little later. The price too, I got mine (depending on the exchange rate) – delivered – incl tax – all for £260. I think it's a snip for what you get in parts and for the potential performance and difference of the car when it's finished. And also, I've got quite a lot of spares anyway which I've accumulated over the years, so with what's been taken off from this conversion, I reckon I'll have enough to make up another FG Beetle :)

The chassis – it is basically the same, slightly wider at the front due to the diff housing, a billion more drilled countersunk holes in it too. Being 4WD the car will develop more forces acting upon different areas of the chassis compared to a 2WD– so things need to be a little more secure and screwed down.

The instruction manual is good too. Usual FG style black n white photo's, most are very clear on what to do, the odd other may require a good hard look to decipher something. The grammer is also good, though remember – they just go down the route of “do it” and don't wonder why??! There's no explanation for fitting that particular part, or chopping off pieces of ya engine – just do it!

So, what components does the kit require from the original 2WD? During the conversion I drew up a list of what the 2WD had to donate:
1.Rear hubs (complete)
2.Rear driveshafts
3.Rear shocks
4.Rear lower wishbones
5.Rear diff internals
6.Front ball joints (4 of)
7.2x front wheel bearings
8.Front shocks
9.Body shell supports
10.Front body mount pillars
11.Complete engine
12.Small engine mount (they provide a slightly different shaped larger mount)
13.Layshaft bearing
14.Gear carrier and spur gear
15.Clutch
16.Fuel tank and clamp
17.Radio Gear
18.Steering arms (from servo)
19.Trackrod arms
20.Steering balljoints
21.Wheels/Tyres
22.Rear part of roll cage
23.Beetle body shell

It's an extremely snug conversion, and I'm sure you'll agree from the photo's it does look very neat and with no exposed moving parts, which are likely to trap the odd wire, finger! When I compare it to other 4WD models available, I'd have to say I'd go FG. Again, I can recommend doing this conversion to anyone who owns a 2WD FG. It's easy to convert, you can learn a lot about your car, and it's good value for money! Once I've ran the car in (things seem very tight at the moment, but that's only to be expected with it being new), I'll come back with another little review on what it's like and what's broken (though I hope nothing does), and some video too. :cool:

Attachments

• IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 67
great write up mate, very details, I knew you would be impressed with the kit and the end result.

+1 to the crankcase mod, feels weird but 100% requried, here's some pics for those who don't know what were talking about.

Attachments

• ModifiedCrankcase1.jpg
    ModifiedCrankcase1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 66
  • ModifiedCrankcase2.jpg
    ModifiedCrankcase2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 64
thanks sperera, i've enjoyed doing the conversion, and it doesn't take long either really, surprised. yeah there's a little lug which sticks out near the fan/pullstart housing which needs to be removed, as you look at the pullstart housing (the whole aluminium black cover which you bolt to the engine and the plastic pullstart bolts to that), look around the "3 o'clock" position and there's a large M5 screw which sits just behind the piece of ally to be removed. will post up a pic later.

well, the rain has stopped (not for long though eh knowing the UK), so i'm going to give the MB a trial today, poodle it around for a while running the drivetrain in, check it over afterwards, when it's OK it'll be taken somewhere a little more taxing :)

Great review t2boats!!! Just curious, how much drag does the belt get when you turn it by hand? Being new I suspect it would be substantial because the stronger spring is included in the conversion kit. :D

Great review t2boats!!! Just curious, how much drag does the belt get when you turn it by hand? Being new I suspect it would be substantial because the stronger spring is included in the conversion kit. :D

Hiya, yeah turning by hand at the moment is quite stiff, but not so excessive, you can do it. Fit the wheels and turn them, it's really easy :) When it's run in, it'll be much better. Will let you know later after I give it a blast. Like I said earlier, I'll see how things fair first n take it from there.

Cool! That's good to hear. From what I've seen in the pix you posted so far, they're using a very wide and strong toothed belt similar to what is being used in timing belts for real cars. I believe it will LAST a loooong time...LOL!!! It will be a lot quieter too. Granted that gear-type 4WD systems are stronger but they are NOISY!!! Off throttle..klang..klang...klang... arrrggghhhh! Well enough of that. :D

We all look forward to your maiden run on your conversion. I hope it'll put a bigger grin on your face than it was 2WD t2boats.. ENJOY!!!

Cool! That's good to hear. From what I've seen in the pix you posted so far, they're using a very wide and strong toothed belt similar to what is being used in timing belts for real cars. I believe it will LAST a loooong time...LOL!!! It will be a lot quieter too. Granted that gear-type 4WD systems are stronger but they are NOISY!!! Off throttle..klang..klang...klang... arrrggghhhh! Well enough of that. :D

We all look forward to your maiden run on your conversion. I hope it'll put a bigger grin on your face than it was 2WD t2boats.. ENJOY!!!

yeah it's a hefty belt, beauty of the design - excluding the diffs, there's only 1 part which could break unlike other 4WD models which have shafts and/or gears, even more to go wrong!!

i was looking to test it yesterday but the heavens opened and the rain came, it's dry today so i'll give it a run this morning now n make sure everythings tickety-boo :)

excellent review dude :)

like others have said the FG 4WD kit defo seems the best on market to what ive read about it, im still in 2WD land with my MB Pro! Just don't wanna let go of the 2WD thing lol :)

let us know how it holds up dude after a few outings :D

Superb news folks! It held up with no probs what so ever. No nasty sounding meshing of teeth or whine from the belt. The only thing that came loose was the exhaust, which it always seems to... but afterall that's nothing to do with the conversion.

The traction is brill, there's no spin at all, just instant traction and it's off :) i went over all the screws/bolts n so on, nothing's come loose so far on that front anyway, will give it a few more outings and see from there. And also, it still drifts around the bends too..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks