fg sportline

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Sportline owner here, these cars are sweet waited a long time to get one of these baby's so i will have some questions to ask. It has a new 29cc head kit front and rear cable brakes and 2 speed FG tuned pipe Bmw body and upgraded servo's. looks like a long chassie version.

fg002.jpg
fg001.jpg
fgb001.jpg

Last edited:
nice car. generally the larger engines arent put in 2wd touring cars as they produce a lot of torque and can move the powerband down. these cars tend to need very little low end (they break traction quite easy) and more top end, something provided by a smaller engine.

I hope to break the motor in this weekend. My first upgrade will be a new body something more streamlined and less bulky. What body do you guys recommend that fits much closer to the chassie with less dead space beneath the shell. A new shell will remove any reminder that i'm the second owner

Last edited:
nice car. generally the larger engines arent put in 2wd touring cars as they produce a lot of torque and can move the powerband down. these cars tend to need very little low end (they break traction quite easy) and more top end, something provided by a smaller engine.

A few years ago I took my truck to a car show and a guy pulled his Dodge Viper up next to my truck. I was interested in why he pulled his Viper into the customized section as it appeared to only have a custom paint/interior. When he lifted the hood I was shocked. A 1200+HP Nitros injected engine.(I packed my truck up and went home).

That was a 2WD vehicle....I asked him why he wanted so much power in a street car... his answer was - because he can:)

I would think an adjustable clutch could be used to overcome the traction issue and still take advantage of the larger engine. I am guessing a 2spd would be awesome!

my question is, did the viper road race? sure you can have huge torque and horsepower, but what use is it if you cant put it down? we arent talking about drag racing here. i work on top alcohol dragsters, we put down 3500hp and run the 1/4 mile in 5.3 seconds at 270mph, and thats 2wd. is it the same? well, we don't go around a corner and hit the throttle.

with an onroad car when you come out of the corner you have to be very precise with your throttle, too much and the car breaks loose and you spin around. with a larger motor you can gear taller to take away some of the low end hit, however it doesn't help as much as you think. with an adjustable clutch you can engauge the clutch sooner, however you get it too low and it can bog the engine. i run a 26 in my touring car. i find that with taller gearing i find im about even out of a corner but the cars with the smaller 23cc motors pull on me about 1/2 hay down the straight. i know i can pull a lot harder out of the corner if i had the traction, but thats the issue, i don't. the 26 just doesn't have the horsepower to pull the taller gearing up top, i actually get about the same top speed on the track as i do with the standard gearing, as with shorter gearing the motor can pull right up to the top of the powerband.

imo a 23cc motor is better for onroad. i can see situations where a 26cc would work well, like a very grippy tight track, or in an f1 or race truck (they have larger rear tires). i honestly cant see a 29cc being ideal, i think it will provide too much bottom end (making the car hard to drive) and will lack top end speed. they might work good in a 4wd, and they are well proven in offroad stuff.

blackrain: you have nothing to loose running a 29cc if your not racing. a 29cc wont be legal for racing. if your bashing the 29 will work, just be easy on the throttle. the only thing that will happen is you will burn up tires. as for the body, take your pick. keep in mind that there are different length side body posts, bumpers, and rear body mounts for different bodies. depending on what you go with you may need to change them.

took her out for the second tank today started tuning the motor man is she fast. Half way threw the tank the car started going forward on its own so i checked the idle and low speed it was fine . When i shut it down and tried to roll it backwards the wheels would lock up so i think it might be the clutch is engaged. I haven't had a chance to tear it down yet just wanted to see what you guys think.

must be engaging

well, paint/show stuff aside, yes it could race in club events in the open classes. that said, my point was you don't use raw power to get you around a road coarse, it takes a lot of fine throttle control and precise driving.

good to hear its running good. i had issues like your describing with my car when i first put it together. what kept happening was the clutch shoe bolts kept backing out and hitting the clutch bell. the only thing that solved the issue was a healthy dose of red loktite.

ok thanks and your right about the torque i have to be very gentle on throttle at take off or it will spin out. I was on another forum rc-tech and i saw a Aston martin body but checked all over the net but couldn't find it anywhere.

I was looking at getting the hpi baja clutch shoes with the red spring. i just wondering that they might hit to hard causing me to loose to much traction. What clutch shoes are you guys running. My original clutch shoes were the regular spring color

i run the stock cy shoes with the stock 6000rpm spring. ive played around lightening the shoes up a little bit to get the engagement rpm up a touch, but thats something you wont have to do with the 29cc. higher engagement will be something desired with a high reving motor or a very sticky track.

I was looking at getting the hpi baja clutch shoes with the red spring. i just wondering that they might hit to hard causing me to loose to much traction. What clutch shoes are you guys running. My original clutch shoes were the regular spring color

I went to a race one day with the intent of installing my new clutch shoes in my WCM 1/4 scale w/230 Zenoah Engine. After I could not get the car to move I realized in my haste I had installed my new red clutch shoes from my baja into the stock zenoah engine, instead of the new stock shoes.. DOH!. It would not even budge the car. Could very well be perfect for your engine/car combination, in fact I am considering buying a 29cc kit and doing a test comparison on performance on the track. Just to see if you can take a car without changing anything else other than the engine and see if you can improve times..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks