Foam or no foam?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin.
Community Leader
I've noticed the FG Monster Truck ships with no foam and un-glued and the rims have no holes in them like most nitro rims do.

Do I need foam in these monsters?
Do I need to drill a few holes in the rims?

-Michael

Do I need foam in these monsters?
I would say yes. I run them and without they would have flat spots and sag.

Do I need to drill a few holes in the rims?
I did not, there seems to be enough air that escapes from the areas that did not get 100% covered in glue. If I where you I would insert the foams glue it up and try it out. If you don't like it you can drill them later. Just remember if water gets in it will not get out and there is a greater chance with holes that you will get water in.

What about water getting in the tires and the foams soaking it up?

Searching google seems it's about a 50-50 split on people who run with or without the foams.

-Michael

What about water getting in the tires and the foams soaking it up?

Searching google seems it's about a 50-50 split on people who run with or without the foams.

-Michael

On my off-road nitro cars, I put a few small holes in the tire tread and plug any vent holes in the wheel. If any water does get in, centrifugal force spins it out.

Bruce

slawsonb,

How large are you holes? I've drilled two holes in the tires (3/32) and it looks like the tire just sealed right back up.

-Michael

WoodiE,
Did you notice after installing the foams and glueing the tires did they not fill with air after you compress them. I tried my best but there was no way I glued the tires 100% which left enough air back in so I never needed the holes.

from my own personal experience, I like NO foams much better, I find it very much less "bouncy" and and easier to handle. Some like it better with foams so I did try it with foams and went back to no faoms no questions asked. A downside though with no foams is upon landing on big jumps it makes it harder on the rims as they absorb harder shocks then if you had foams. Ive decided no foams and if needed, ill get new rims when needed.
hope this helps you answer your question.

I've seen some guys put small holes in the rim.What is the advantage/disadvantage of doing this?:)

Air hole in the rim makes it less likely that you'll wick in water. Air hole in the tire allows more water to get out. Net, if you're unlikely to wet, put hole wherever. If you're more likely to get wet, put hole in tire to get water out. My .02

I don't run foams, they didn't have them when I got my MT, or at least I didn't see them available.

I have two small holes in each rim, I notice no issues with sag unless the truck sits for a day or so, but then if you plan on storing the truck you should store it on the chassis anyway.

Either way, foams or without I think you'll be fine. I have been for a long time now without.

In reality, it's all personal choice.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks