Front and Rear differential help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcmadman1020

Hey guys!
I am currently working on my Losi MTXL... More specifically I am doing the front and rear differential. All went very well except for the end... I am using FID Dif housings and its extremely tight, I have used plenty of grease and made it happen. The differential cup and all in it is great, nothing wrong. When it comes to joining the diff housings is the problem, the front diff gear that connects to the chassis shaft I extremely tight and when you put the screws in the housing the tightens it completely, to the point you can't turn it. I am wondering what it could be, please any suggestions would be great?

First off post some pics?? but sounds like the bearings are not located properly ?
Hey yeah no worries. Pics are below, I did check the bearings and just did a check over and yeah confusing

Attachments

• thumbnail-9.jpeg
    thumbnail-9.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbnail-10.jpeg
    thumbnail-10.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail-11.jpeg
    thumbnail-11.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 20
Can you take the shaft out, put the housing together and see if the axle turns by itself? Then try the opposite, just the shaft, no diff gears. Try to identify what is binding. Did you open the diff and reassemble the bevel gears correctly - shims? Sorry, I am not familiar with truck or housing.

So are the bearings seated in correctly?
Yeah I went over everything last night and even pulled out and checked but couldn't figure it out. The diff cup itself is perfect! just that small shaft that comes out from the diff cup to the dog bone. I did notice that without screws it turns alright but when you put the screws in or even push them tight together it goes tight to turn, the more you press. It does feel like the bearing isn't seated in properly but I am using the same size bearings as the old ones
Can you take the shaft out, put the housing together and see if the axle turns by itself? Then try the opposite, just the shaft, no diff gears. Try to identify what is binding. Did you open the diff and reassemble the bevel gears correctly - shims? Sorry, I am not familiar with truck or housing.
Yeah the axle turns fine, its just the outer shaft of the diff housing. Yes they are the exact same size size bearings as the old ones, which is what confuses me. Thanks for the advice, ill go over it again and check things out

Last edited:
1/10thou of an inch is all it takes. Get some thin gasket material and an exacto knife. Trace out a gasket for between the two diff housing halves. Bet if you test the theory with a sheet of 28lb paper you'll be good. Sounds like your problem is the housing itself.

Send it back and get a replacement, they should go together with no issues. I like fid stuff, but they do have issues from time to time.
Yeah thanks for the advice! I have just gotten sick of it now. It isn't my first time with diffs, I and built many in my Baja 5b ss and had zero issues... maybe a few operator errors but nothing at fault on there end. I have contacted the company

Send it back and get a replacement, they should go together with no issues. I like fid stuff, but they do have issues from time to time.

Agree with this. Most of my stuff is FID and the quality is good. However, on more than a few occasions I had to lightly file off excess material to get things to fit or to prevent binding. Annoying if you're not used to doing things like that.

I complained to "FIDStore" more than once, and they gladly offered to send me a replacement. However, I told them it was fine, I would just make it fit. I didn't want to wait for the slow boat from china.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks