gear ratio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajsbaja

whats the best gear ratio on a baja fg 4wd for gud to end and for wheelies. both and what all would i need to order for the same??????

Depends what engine & pipe you are running. What are you running now? I don't understand whether you want wheelies or not?? If you do, you may as well make it 2wd!!

Im running stock 18/46 gearing, a CY with 26.9 ddm ported head kit and FG tuned pipe and it spins all 4 wheels on grass even with the marder spiked tyres so need to change up to 20/44.

+1, as always,need more power to push taller gears without sacrafising too much take off but ive never had a 4wd fg( sounds good tho) tried the mcd rr and ftx punisher.
if you have the stock g260 2 bolt zen and stock can,id leave the gearing. if you have a pipe then
just go up 1 size on the outside gears. so if its 18/46 go to 20/44, one step up like this gives me 7mph but with 2wd it still spins the wheels so no bogging once it hooks up further up the rpm,with im not so sure with 4wd .

the mcd i used was abit boring with stock set up, but as soon as it got a pipe it was some of the best rc fun ive had, i think if the fg4wd kit wasnt so expensive id try it but ive seen the kit in my lhs,you gotta change alot.
dwarthy is stock fg 4wd gearing 18/46 like marder or 16/48 like the mt? i know its a 14 lay which is tiny but needed.

i thought your bug had a stock pipe and engine by the way you go on!!! i think your just too modest sometimes mate. a headkit from ddm and a tuned fg pipe is well enough,especially to spin a 4 wheels mate.gotta catch up with you guys over the summer ,did you see how my ht2 looked after smashing into a 3 ton concrete block at 30mph lol,in hormann section.

back on topic, let us know what power upgrades and wheels you use,then we (or dwarthy lol) can help.

Last edited:
+1, as always,need more power to push taller gears without sacrafising too much take off but ive never had a 4wd fg( sounds good tho) tried the mcd rr and ftx punisher.
if you have the stock g260 2 bolt zen and stock can,id leave the gearing. if you have a pipe then
just go up 1 size on the outside gears. so if its 18/46 go to 20/44, one step up like this gives me 7mph but with 2wd it still spins the wheels so no bogging once it hooks up further up the rpm,with im not so sure with 4wd .

the mcd i used was abit boring with stock set up, but as soon as it got a pipe it was some of the best rc fun ive had, i think if the fg4wd kit wasnt so expensive id try it but ive seen the kit in my lhs,you gotta change alot.
dwarthy is stock fg 4wd gearing 18/46 like marder or 16/48 like the mt? i know its a 14 lay which is tiny but needed.

i thought your bug had a stock pipe and engine by the way you go on!!! i think your just too modest sometimes mate. a headkit from ddm and a tuned fg pipe is well enough,especially to spin a 4 wheels mate.gotta catch up with you guys over the summer ,did you see how my ht2 looked after smashing into a 3 ton concrete block at 30mph lol,in hormann section.

back on topic, let us know what power upgrades and wheels you use,then we (or dwarthy lol) can help.

Gearing is 18/46 same as 2wd its the 14t layshaft gear that is different. My bug goes well enough with the stock gearing just needs more top end. Will have to get an order in at Freeprawn or fleabay.

Not seen your hormann. Will have a look.

i agree mate, 20/44 best for top and bottom.

op, you know how easy your baja can pull the stock gears , The dom pipe is a beast for sure. it should give you an extra 6 or 7mph using 20/44, but if you want 50mph+ then 22/42 but id only say use these gears on tarmac,they might lag abit on grass.
ive seen what a stock engine and a dom pipe can do on a fg(2wd) and i think its one of the best bashing pipes there is,, its not a smooth track pipe with linear power but a thick wall of power that can unsettle the car its explosive from when the clutch engages until it revvs out, i still want one for my baja but the jetpro will do for now,but its not as good a the fg dom pipe .

basicallly a friend of mine has the same sort of set up but 2wd, he put some crazy gears on like 24/40 with heavy stadium truck wheels, it pulled through the gears easy,no lag and hit 68mph...a stock engine and a dominator pipe...
but it wasnt 4wd remember.

these fg's with stock engines and a good pipe can pull taller gears then what people think, but the taller the gears,the slower the pull off. with fg baja wheels 22/42 ig good for a big stretch of tarmac, but 20/44 for grass.

if you like playing around with set ups and gears etc, buy a few different ratios. i brought 18-46 all the way through to 26/38.
then you can find the setup you like for different senarios

Last edited:
with it being 4wd and using the 14t on the diff side will changing to 20/44 be around the same ratio as the 2wd's run,im running stock gears on the bug 18/46-16/48 and thats plenty quick enough but in my on road fg im running 20/44-16/48 and thats rapid fast and still plenty of top end and like a rocket off the line

The 14T on the layshaft slows it down slightly top end but gives it more zip as the 4wd can get the power down better (supposedly!!). I am trying 20/44 soon but when I get my new engine I might have to change up again to 22/42 to make the most of it.

22/42 your going to have to give it a push start mate just to get it moving mate

Looking at the gear calcs table......
4wd ratio is 18/46 14/48 and gives a top speed of 33mph
2wd ratio is 18/46 16/48 and gives a top speed of 38mph

quite a difference especially when the 4wd can use that power off the line.

Changing the main gear.......
4wd at 20/44 top speed = 38mph
2wd at 20/44 top speed = 44mph

4wd at 22/42top speed = 45mph
2wd at 22/42top speed = 51mph

The 14T layshaft gear pretty much puts the 4wd 1 gearing behind the 2wd so 22/42 will be fine. Could even go 24/38 at a push :w00t:

do i need to change anything else if i buy the spur and pinion gear from ddm. like the layshaft or the spur gear carrier or any thing else or will the 20/44 gear directly fit the stock parts. thank for the replays guys.

Looking at the gear calcs table......
4wd ratio is 18/46 14/48 and gives a top speed of 33mph
2wd ratio is 18/46 16/48 and gives a top speed of 38mph

quite a difference especially when the 4wd can use that power off the line.

Changing the main gear.......
4wd at 20/44 top speed = 38mph
2wd at 20/44 top speed = 44mph

4wd at 22/42top speed = 45mph
2wd at 22/42top speed = 51mph

The 14T layshaft gear pretty much puts the 4wd 1 gearing behind the 2wd so 22/42 will be fine. Could even go 24/38 at a push :w00t:

nice find dwarfy good info there i think mines a little bit quicker though due to running the larger hpi wheels which is probaly the same difference as going up a gear i think

youd pi55 20/44 for 38mph easy and 22/42 for 45mph. id probably use 22/42 on tarmac tho for your 4wd fg, my cars pull much taller gears on the smooth stuff compared to grass.
i used 22/42 with big monster slicks for 70mph, then ran 26/38 with small wheels and got about the same but it accelerated alot better with tall gears/small wheels.
the charts are good, but after a certain speed they aint as accurate due to tyre inflation and also if using a tuned engine or pipe withe improved rpms , will get more top speed.

With 22/42 i get around 56- mph mph with smaller marder size wheels and 64mph with the fg baja wheels , 71mph with monster tyes.

using really tall gears when generally bashing with your mates isnt that good unless you your on a huge field or open area , you will loose some kick at the bottom, but once it comes on pipe it crazy, seeing your car fly by at 70mph with engine and pipe screaming still makes me laUGH..
If your going to get an oddie then youll have no problem with them gears mate especailly if its producing the same sort of powert as rens . when i come down ill put 26/38 and 17 layshaft gear on and show that it still wheelspins on tarmac with fg marder size wheels but its all just fun and games lads, were just messing with these things and just want to make them faster,even if it does mean undrivable sometimes lol.

Last edited:
yeah i know what you mean hyper but for the first time ever since owning the bug im happy with it i don't want it any quicker or need any more power ive got more than enough to power 2 marders lol and with the red race and ecu its instant and like its running on nos its all good making them go quicker but it just means you crash that bit harder 40 mph is plenty for a car thats 12kg and all alloy,and most times where i run im out of space before its flatout and you have got to stop at some point

the charts are good, but after a certain speed they aint as accurate due to tyre inflation and also if using a tuned engine or pipe withe improved rpms , will get more top speed.

Absolutely mate, the chart is probably based on a stock set up but as a guide it gives you some idea of comparison between the ratios.

yes , i agree mate, i used it when i first got my marder and still use it now when trying to figure out the additional speeds when changing the layshaft and diff gears.very helpful.
what ive found is, going down 2 teeth on the spur and up 2 on pinion gives around 7mph a time, but the higher the ratio the higher the increase so by time you get to 70mph 2 teeth on a spur can mean 8 or 9mph.
1 tooth on a layshaft can give around 3mph.
also using monster truck wheels on a marder/baja increase the top speed almost the same as going up to the next gears on the spur and pinion again. so 18/46 gives 38mph on marder wheels ,swap them to monster wheels and get around 44mph which is the top speed of 20/44 on marder wheels.
ive geeked about with these bloody gears over the last year trying to find the perfect gears for accelaration,top speed and limits of what the engines can push. i got most gears id use now except 28/36 ( you can go to 32/32 which is crazy,everytime the driver gear rotates once it only turns the driven gear once,alot of strain.
i think if we left the outside gears stock and changed the lay and diff for more top speed it would be better because by time we get through the first 2 gears(driver/driven) it will be less resistance and load by time it gets to the inside gears, but would mean taking the diff off and engine out everytime you wanted to change the ratio, not possible lol.

the thing is i want to top the best speed ive done in the fg which is possible because at the time i was using the stock engine, i used big wheels but wanted to use the fg onroad touring wheels for lower weight,mass rotation, unsprung weight, but didnt have the gears.
even with something like 26/38 id only get 60mph odd if that!!! thats why i got the 45 diff and 17/18 layshaft. ive dremmeled out the obr casing to accept bigger lay gears

Hyper you may be able to answer this having tried loads of different gear ratios. For example take the 18/46 16/48 ratio and the 20/44 14/48 ratio which equate to virtually the same top speed going off 'the table', would there be any difference in how these different ratios achieved the top speed ie would 1 accelerate quicker than the other or would they be the same?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks