gear ratio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with you being 4wd and me running stock gears in a 2wd i think youve got the edge but once mines hooked up then your in trouble till ive got to turn then its back to you lol

ive just been messing this sort of stuff, getting the the same top speeds with different gears and wheelsizes.
this is just my opinion , i personally think that one would be slightly better , i think its best to change the last two gears and leave the (driver gear) pinion and driven gear (spur) at a lower ratio as they come straight from the motor, i think if you change the inside two it gives it a chance to for the ratio to change from the first two outside gears making it easier on the layshaft and diff gear to turn ( like when you put a mountain bike in a low gear)
at the moment ive got 22/42 and 18/48 because we were messing about doing some long wheeelis but with these gears the clutch gear has to rotate 4 and half times to turn the rear wheels once. saying all thois its a pain in the ass to keep changing the insides.

i m interested in all this stuff that can bore some people lol, it comes from being into the tuning and upgrading part s on 1/1 cars before i got into rc. all ths engine and pipe physics and gears etc.
this is old but a great video,there are a few parts,insight into how gears work. i have loads of stuff like this on my youtube account.

ive got to a point now where i didnt want to go higher on the two outside gears so have got taller lay and diff gears, i want 80mph+, so ive gone up to 26/38 on the outside and stopping there , coupled with the stock inside gears i can get 70mph with small marder wheels but was told by some one in the states who has been doing the same thing for years that when he got to this stage and tried going higher on the outside,it lost performance and top speed so raised the gears on the inside and it was able to pull a higher top speed. so if he used something like 26/38 pinion spur and 21 /44 ( lay and diff) then he pulled a higher speed and the engine power could cope,but if he used 30 / 34 and smaller inside gears to make exactly the same final ratio as the first setup, it wouldnt pull through and give the same top speed. so on paper the same FINAL RATIO,but in practice it was different.
sorry to go on but another thing is , you know how you can use differnt size wheels to achieve a higher overall speed and ratio. so put monster size wheels on a marder is the same as going up one ratio on the spur and pinion 18/46 with marder wheels is about the same as 16/48 with monster wheels but it will accelerate faster with the smaller wheels because the rotational force of turing slightly bigger spur gear is a lot easier then bigger heavier wheels and tyres that weigh alot more ( yes i was sad enough to weigh all my wheels lol, the stepstuds are about 17 ounce,fg baja 19 ounce andhornann wheels with nobblies around 14 ounce the same as lcon wheels with nobblies, elcon astros about 13 ounce,fg tourer is 9 or 10 ounce ,i think the monsters are around 25 ounce, thats why all the fgs doing over 80/90mph all use the fg touring wheels as its very easy for the engine to turn them, its hard to recognise with low ratios but once you start going taller its quite obvious to see

if the link don't come up, type gear and Wheels Part 1, a very good watch mate.if your interest in gears and ratios,watch this.

like i said ,this is my take on it but its best to read up and do a bit of testing yourself .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks