help...servo info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
failsafe

the thing is tho it has a fail safe stuck to the top off the battery box thats why i cant understand why it did that...clearly the fail safe is not working...good job i got duracell 2650s in my controller ...

failsafes are ok while you have rx power, as soon as you don't it doesn't work. the pico switch in on mode is powered up so if you lose battery power it automatically switches off and kills the motor. For $35 it's the cheapest insurance you can buy for your rc

the thing is tho it has a fail safe stuck to the top off the battery box thats why i cant understand why it did that...clearly the fail safe is not working...good job i got duracell 2650s in my controller ...

You can test your onboard fail safe by turning on your controller and receiver, then shut off your controller. If it is going to full brake, you are probably good to go. If not start checking Everything to find the problem. If your failsafe is outside of the radio box (something I never do) it can get wet and will fail w/o you even knowing. I check mine everytime I turn on my radio gear.

The Pico switch is a great idea, but a little pricey. You could wrap a rubberband around the throttle servo so it would apply the brakes in the event of a dead receiver...

Trip..

well also pall

i don't think you need a pico at all,waste of money,dam thing prob would never work when you want it anyway,needs very carefull setting up and can let you down too,its what i have read on other forums anyway and it makes sense, if you ask me now,i would use what all the cars come out the shops with(good fail safe) and as long as you have every thing right you should never have any problems at all,if you need a pico fail safe you are going to be running your car at a very dogey level already in order for it to have to shut off the engine.and to me it would be a major pain in the a##e everytime the car goes out of range for example(running car far away from you in a football field)if it got out of range it would shut off engine,and u then need to be running to car to start it again,at least when a fail safe shuts the brake you can walk the little distance untill your car gets signal,and up and running again.

imagine when your battery is low,the bloddy thing would drive you insane,you would think something else is gone faulty on your car.

r/c cars go out of signal all the time even we may not notice because by the time we would it would have clear signal again,i think a pico would be the most usless device unless you run in your back yard lol

or first ask somebody that has run one(for a long time) and get advice from them.

sorry guys don't agree with this one.

good fail safe will never let you down.

sometimes failsafes don't apply the brake for no reason and thats just life and im sure too that sometimes picos wont shut off engines when they are supposed to.

check out this micro fail safe from futuba ,its all you need and keep dry.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futm0992.html

Last edited:
I will argue the point with you my friend, if you have both you will never get a runaway...before I had a kill switch I had a battery wire come undone and my fg went wot into a log pile my failsafe with no power was useless a kill switch would have stopped it...if the log pile had been a small kid something very bad would have happened.
Failsafes also do not work if you have a throttle lingage jam. They are a cinch to set up just plug them in one end and solder the wires into the coil wires.
Only time a kill switch doesn't work is when your tx goes dead then the failsafe kicks in...see now you have double insurance against any situation.
The car shutting down out of range can be changed in the tx set up if you have a built in failsafe, you can have your 3rd channel in the failsafe loop to operate if you want and switch off or change the handset setting and have it maintain the on position so the car remains running.
It will kill your motor when rx voltage gets too low which is a good thing.

i agree with what your saying mooman but think about this.

realisticly for a pico one would need a very good battery with good holding power,now as you say when voltage goes below certain level it will kill engine ok.

my point is,i have spent loads of money on batterys because i was sick of usual rubbish so modelsport uk made me up a 4500mah pack and i must say it is good but batterys are unpredicable sometimes i think my battery has charged and then when i run car it can drop pretty quick,sometimes if my battery leads are damp it stops charging with bad connections. im just saying that to rely on a battery and a pico which is going to be shutting off engine at any given time is not too appealing to me.

what happens as i said if you go out of range which does happen like in big fields and beaches,engine dies!

perfect chance for a thief to grab it and put it in there car while i am at the other side of the beach,happened to a friend of mine,i would nearly rather a run away to a quiter spot lol:clown:

ps i have had loads of runaways due to me not checking wires that were cut,KEEP A CHECK ON EM..

also,the throttle linkage,i always drill the throttle rod holder on the servo bigger so can never get stuck..

Last edited:
the pico will switch at 3.5 volts less than a failsafe, going out of range will kill engine but thieving bastards who run off with stuff that stops in a field aren't a problem where I live.
best answer is don't go out of range or buy a handset with more range:clown:
to be honest I've never had a glitch with mine or a shut down due to range since i got my nomadio.

well i would agree with it if the engine could be switched off manually from the transmittor (or can it,have i been sleeping lol) otherwise not a hope would i put up with something switching off engine at any given moment and no need to explain this either,we all no how finneky battries are and transmittors..

ya dc. it seems like you have been napping for a while. the pico is super easy to set-up. it wires straight into your motor switch and runs off the third channel. you can kill the motor from the radio. a failsafe works fine when your battteries die or you go out of range. with the new radio system, going out of range could be kinda hard. even on a standard 75mhz. so you really have no protection when running a failsafe. most runaways are coused by throttle servo blow outs. (they don't fail when your not using them). big problem in the 5b's or any open shell buggy is sand binding throttle linkage at the carb. and ice or snow freazing around the throttle linkage at the carb. it also makes for easy and precise tuning as when you are doing high speed passes you don't want the revs to die down. it could give you an instant false plu reading and allow for a lean tune.. the pico will also not allow you to start the motor with out inital power from the transmitter. but a pico wont work if you lose signal. wich as you know is hard to do. a failsafe wont work if someone else turn on there radio with the same freqhency and when your battery dies it will slowly go back to nutaral. so with a pico, a failsafe is not so important. JUST MY 3CENTS

well i would agree with it if the engine could be switched off manually from the transmittor (or can it,have i been sleeping lol) otherwise not a hope would i put up with something switching off engine at any given moment and no need to explain this either,we all no how finneky battries are and transmittors..
batteries and transmitters arent finicky. the problem is mostly between the trigger and the finger. and a pico doesn't just turn your motor off whenever it wants to.

of course they are,battries don't always charge correct,im in large scale long enough to know that,what happens when your car goes out of range? your pico kills engine,well thats no good to me when i need to run long range like football field or something.

have you got a pico like?
otherwise how can you know

of course they are,battries don't always charge correct,im in large scale long enough to know that,what happens when your car goes out of range? your pico kills engine,well thats no good to me when i need to run long range like football field or something.

have you got a pico like?
otherwise how can you know
you obviously don't know much about this subject. the pico doesn't turn off the mill when you go out of range. thats what a faislafe is for. and also setiing your failsafe to full brake is not so smart. by the time you get to it your servo may be fried. and going to pic up your rig is safer then salvaging the peices once it hit a small child. and so you know ive been rcing since 1990. and i have 3 pico's. have you seen my runnaway vid? that could have been really bad and a failsafe does nothing in that aplication..

...There is another option... Don't run your truck a 1/4 mile away!!! What would you do if it were that far and it flipped over?
i second that, but if you go to the dunes you have a wide site range so running that far is easy. andfunny you mention that. i got stuck yesterday at th gulf coarse in the snow. had to tretch down to retriev my beast in a vally and couldnt get out. my rig made it out fine. was sitting at the top of the hill wauting for me. it ran out of gas before i made it to the top.. was kinda funny once i got to the out

Ok dc2 here's the skinny, I run pico's in my fg and rampage.

Engine will not run until you turn on tx and switch pico on
Pico can be turned off from handset until out of range
pico will not kill engine out of range if you set the tx failsafe ch3 to hold
failsafe kicks in out of range
failsafe kicks in when batt is low, pico goes down to 3.5 volts so failsafe will act first
Pico and failsafe kick in when tx turned off
pico kicks in when onboard batt is disconnected failsafe won't
failsafe kicks in when tx volts low pico won't if set to hold on ch3 failsafe
in event of a servo fault failsafe won't work pico will from handset switch
can do proper plug chop with pico
any other reason to kill engine instantly=pico

for $35 or 25euro thingies, they are very cheap insurance for a few thousand dollar rc
and they're a breeze to instal.

I really can't see an arguement for not having one

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks