Holes in Hardened Steel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icecreamslick

I drive a TRAXXAS Monster Buggy and even though it is not as popular as most others, I love it. :cool: The only thing that I am having problems with is the conversion from the stock, wagon-wheel wheels and tires. I replaced them with aluminum adapters (tapped holes and added grub/set screws) and installed wheels and tires from a Cen Genesis. The problem is that the set screws will not keep the adapters on for more than a tank of fuel. There's nothing like being the laughing stock when a rear wheel spins off in the grass. :crying:

Is there a good way to drill holes through the steel axles, so I can use a set screw/axle pin? I tried a hand drill (ha ha) and even a drill press, but they barely scratched the surface! I don't know anyone who has a metal working shop, but I will seek one out if there is something that can put holes in the four shafts.

Could a welder burn a decent hole through without screwing them up?

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
I tried both blue and then red Loctite, but the wheel always spins off after a short time.

I'm sure you already have a good idea of what an axle looks like :)blush:) but here is a picture.

Attachments

• 14921294551.jpg
    14921294551.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 1492129349.jpg
    1492129349.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 14921293427.jpg
    14921293427.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 31
i couldnt see on the pic if the axle has a flatspot which the grubscrew makes contact with,if it doesn't,just grind a small flat area on the axle and line it up with the grub screw.....should hold for longer at least......

Thanks very much for the replies! I think I will try to find a carbide drill bit (to make an indention, at least) for the flat spot on the axle. If I can just get the grub screw down into the axle a little bit, it should help.....even if I can't make a hole all the way through. :batman:

Jason

Is it due to the grub screw backing out all the time that is allowing the adapters to fly off? Did you try to file the grub flat on the end (Remove the grub grip thing on the end). just a thought.:blush:

Attachments

• DSC01608.jpg
    DSC01608.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 22
Well, I assumed it was the grub screw backing out, but after reading your question I examined the adapter a little more closely to be sure. As it turns out, the aluminum adapter has warped a bit at the point where the grub screw goes through to the axle, probably because it is slightly thinner due to the hole. :( It looks as though it is bent just enough to allow the adapter to spin off of the axle.

Unfortunately, I still think that I will need to drill a hole through each axle, so a pin can keep the two parts together, moving as one under the stress of the torque.

Last edited:
If you have the oportunity or access, maybe try a machine shop, a machine shop hand (person) may be able to better analyze the area of concern or machine you custom adapters so you can run worry free.

Good luck

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks