How to: carb swap, step by step instructions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trip

A carb swap is a very simple procedure, but there may be a few new forum members that are afraid to tackle this. Us old timers will find this as old hat, but hey who knows, maybe this might show you something. So for anyone that wants a walk through, here you go...

List of things you will need.
  1. A large scale vehicle with a carburetor.
  2. Make sure the vehicle is extremely clean around the carb.
  3. A good Phillips screwdriver, don't cheap out. Use quality tools. I am using a Snap On ratcheting screwdriver.
  4. A set of needle nose pliers.
  5. Sandpaper, I like to use 230 or finer.
  6. A bright light, I bought mine from Harbor Freight for 5 bucks.
  7. A new set of gaskets in case you rip one.
  8. About 10 minutes of your time.
Let's begin.

Make sure everything is clean, I cannot emphasize this enough, you are dealing with the most direct inlet to your motor, so make sure it's clean!

The first thing I like to do is to remove the throttle linkage from the carb, just remove this screw and the linkage will come off and ease reassembly. Hold the throttle arm with your fingers, don't allow the arm to swing, this can hurt the throttle shaft.
Mutilatorcarbswap0055.jpg

Remove the throttle arm.
Mutilatorcarbswap006.jpg

Next remove the rear air filter by removing the center screw.
Mutilatorcarbswap007.jpg

You should have something that looks like this.
Mutilatorcarbswap008.jpg

Next remove the fuel lines and take note of their positions. I am doing this on a clone (Mutilator, Smartech, Firehammer, Carson all clones) so if you have an FG your fuel lines will be different colors, it doesn't matter it's the same, the bottom line is the feed and the upper line is the return.
Mutilatorcarbswap030.jpg

Next, remove these two screws to remove the air filter assembly. This will also allow for removal of the carburetor. This is where that quality screwdriver is needed, make sure you don't strip the head off the screws. Take your time doing this and take care not to rip the gasket.
Mutilatorcarbswap008.jpg

Like this.
Mutilatorcarbswap010.jpg

Set the carb assy off to the side for now.
Mutilatorcarbswap011.jpg

You could continue on and remove the intake manifold by removing these 2 bolts, but I didn't I am just doing a carb swap. So wipe the mounting surface with a rag in an outward movement to minimize the chance of debris falling into the intake.
Mutilatorcarbswap012.jpg

This is a good time to remove any debris that you can't reach with the carb attached. DO NOT use compressed air, your motor is open. Use your needle nose.
Mutilatorcarbswap013.jpg

As you can see my gasket survived the removal process so I am going to reuse it.
Mutilatorcarbswap015.jpg

If doing a swap be sure to remove the aluminum spacer.
Mutilatorcarbswap016.jpg

You can remove it like this. Again being careful not to damage the gaskets.
Mutilatorcarbswap017.jpg

Time to sand off the old gasket material.
Mutilatorcarbswap018.jpg

This is good enough, as long as it's smooth to the touch it should be fine.
Mutilatorcarbswap019.jpg

Time for reassembly:

Install a new or cleaned used gasket on the inlet side of the carb.
Mutilatorcarbswap023.jpg

Reinstall the aluminum spacer
Mutilatorcarbswap024.jpg

Clean the airfilter assembly and stick the two long screws back through the carb body.Mutilatorcarbswap025.jpg

Spin the carb around so the outlet is facing you and put on a new or cleaned intake gasket, use the screws to align the gasket.
Mutilatorcarbswap026.jpg
Mutilatorcarbswap027.jpg

Reattach the carb and airfilter assy back onto the intake manifold (carb isolator) This is another place where a quality screwdriver is mandatory, you need to crank those screws in there very tightly!
Mutilatorcarbswap028.jpg

Reattach your upper and lower fuel lines, you remember which one is which right? If not, remember the lower fuel line is the feed, so it will have the fuel filter on the end inside the fuel tank.
Mutilatorcarbswap030.jpg

I use needle nose pliers to attach the lower fuel line, because it's difficult to reach otherwise.
Mutilatorcarbswap031.jpg

Make sure it is seated fully. A keen eye will notice there is no choke lever, that's because I am swapping over to a 813 carb, it is chokeless.
Mutilatorcarbswap032.jpg

Reattach your throttle arm, but before you crank down the screw, stick your finger in between the arm and the head, that way when you tighten the screw your not grinding against the throttle stop and potentially damaging something.
Mutilatorcarbswap033.jpg
Mutilatorcarbswap034.jpg

Check your throttle action/movement with your control to be sure everything is golden.

That's it, your done! It took all of about 10 minutes didn't it. It took me only about 8 minutes and that was taking pictures. Although this write-up took well over an hour to upload pics and edit everything.

I hope you learned something and had fun along the way, these motors are super simple to work on, so don't be afraid, get in there and get dirty!

Trip..

Last edited:
Thanks BTB. I had some big footprints to follow.

I know it's pretty basic stuff, but I remember when I had never removed a carb and was a bit nervous.

thanks for the great info... any chance of sharing how to rebuild a carb? :)

I have seen repair kits but im hesitant to do it :eek: My crab right now if full of dirt and grime maybe because of a leak...

Toss it in the junk and buy a new one.

The rebuild kits cost half what a new carb costs, plus as the throttle lever is rotated, it has a tendency to oblong the throttle-shaft bore in the carb and allowing air leaks and dirt to enter the motor... A stock Walbro 668 carb is about 35 bucks... http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4409/.f Add LSF in the coupon window to get 5% knocked off the price.

Trip..

Last edited:
Alright, potentially a stupid question here so please forgive me. I pulled my engine the other day and when I removed the fuel line gas poured out everywhere. I'm thinking I did two things wrong but want to avoid the issue in the future so I figured I'd confirm...

To depressurize and avoid this should I remove the gas cap first and then remove the bottom line before the top? Any other tips? The only other time so far that I had removed the engine/fuel lines they had never seen gas yet and were dry. Given that I usually work on it in the basement I definitely want to avoid the spillage in the future.

Other then popping the cap off, your going to get a bit of fuel loss when you pop the lines off. There are some inline quick connectors you can buy. They help. I don't bother with them.

That's totally fine, in the future I'll be more prepared for it. The two things I did wrong before (I'm theorizing) is left the cap on and pulled the top return line first. I hadn't really put any thought into which line sent fuel where. That led to the carb just pouring fuel out the fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks