Hpi and KM clutch holder different - help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The issue you have is not the holder. The issue is the crank.
I have no idea what crank that is. I have not seen a crank without the threads on the outside. Without the threads on the inside of the crank no other holder is going to work. You need that weird KM one that goes all the way on and is set with a bolt on the outside???

Well the Zenoah holder doesn't fit either, the problem this time is the diameter of the part which rests against the back of the clutch housing, its slightly too big to pop through the hole and sit in snug.

So as I cant find the KM part anywhere, I might as well chuck in my spare 26cc CY engine

My clutch shoe holder broke, so I ordered an HPI one as their metal parts are usually stronger than KMs.

Its not the same though, Im suprised. Firstly you can see the inner bore is a different size, theres a lip on the hpi one ( the shiny new unbroken one )

Secondly, the KM one has a higher set screw on point for the clutch shoes. Whether this is important for the fit in the clutch bell, I don't know. Has anybody come across this?

P13604871.jpg
P1360489.jpg

To confuse me more, looking up rcmodelz.co.uk ( supplier of KM cars and parts here in the UK ) their pic of the clutch holder looks the same as the HPI one! This is it :

KMsclutchshoeholder.jpg

Totally confused ! Why is mine different?
I would be interested if you ever get this problem sorted out,
seems a waste of an engine, for such a miserely part.

i have a question for you... i cant for the life of me get my clutch holder off.... i snapped a clutch bolt and decided to just replace the clutch holder also so i would not have to get bolt out... but after many attempts i could not get the darn thing off... tried heat, tapping wit a hammer, clutch puller, etc... but never got it off. so i just removed the snapped bolt wit a screw extractor and reused old clutch holder... any info on how you got it off would be appreciated...oh, and yes, i took the cener bolt holding it on off... lol

i got it off... lol when i was using the clutch puller, and the 2 outside puller bolts would bottom out, i would stop... i was scared it would maybe crack the clutch housing case... but after finally finding some info i seen that the screws are supposed to bottom out. thank god... lol enjoy your day guys... peace

I am going through the same problem. My KM clutch carrier is different than the HPI I ordered online.
Once I got it, I had to use my drimmel tool to make the middle hole bigger for the screw shaft to come through so i can put the nut. NOTE: HPI shaft has a screw a the end to hold the clutch carrier. KM has a nut to hold it in place.
Once I installed the carrier, I noticed that my clutch spring was touching the nut in the middle. as the base for the two screws that hold the clutch was higher on the KM, I am working on getting a set of washers on each side to make the clutch off set to clear the middle nut.

i will take pics of my customization. :)

Here are the pics after installed.. did not feel like taking it apart as i forgot to take pics before.. I put 5 washes in the inner part between the clutch carrier and the clutch.

Hope it helps.

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks