Hydro brake - crossover or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkiiina

I've been looking at some 1/5 cars recently and noticed that some people have tied the 2 brake cylinders together with the bleed nipples and some left them as 2 separate systems.

Are there pros and cons of this? How do you bleed the brakes in this kind of configuration?

Thanks!

Some answers not in order:
Crossover hydro gear brake system: less unsprung weight(no brakes required on rear axles and the weight is centrally located for better balance)
They are more effective because the braking is done on the gear shaft itself.
Removing brake issues like sticking, no lines to run, uneven wear - (warped discs),fluid loss and loss of stopping power from debris,less maintanace, etc
The new FG cars come with hydro cross gear brakes.
You can get a mechatech kit that retrofits the hydro cross gear brake to most FG vehicles + other makes also.
One reason for single systems usually - by racers, convience ie: faster filling/topping off during a race and some use it to control f/r balance with a proportioning valve.
But... If the servo or brake fails,you have 0 brakes.
With dual brakes if one fails,you still have the the other braking system.
Front and cross hydro gear in the rear are the way to go.
In the end ,It's a matter of personal choice, which system you choose.
I'm running front and rear now but thinking of next build using hydro gear brake setup.

Thanks for the input. I probably wasn't clear on my original post (and since then, the car showed up!)

If you look in front of the gas tank, there is a blue line going across from the front master to the rear master. I was more referring to that setup.

Thanks again!

IMG_20200801_133752.jpg

Wait a min, been studying that pic. Somethings a bit off. Can we get a shot looking down on the whole model? I see that line your referring to now, and it don't look right. I was looking at the tubes going out to the front wheels.
Just a guess but I think that tube crossing from one master to the other is used as some sort of make shift reservoir.
@Striikar you see what I'm talking about? Hard to see in that pic

Yep, just didn't have time to further investigate. Thought something weird,it's why I said "interesting".
I need a better pictures.
Mkiiina are those rear brakes "cross- hydro"?.
Where's the front brake to pump line?.
Is that a tee - line to pump & rear brake. Somethings funky...
Do the brakes work correctly?.

More pics! Yes the brakes work well actually. The fronts are driven off the cylinder on the battery side, the rears are driven off the cylinder on the exhaust side. The line in the top (what I'm calling a cross over) is just tying the 2 bleed nipples together it appears.

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_083215.jpg
    IMG_20200807_083215.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200807_083241.jpg
    IMG_20200807_083241.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200807_083250.jpg
    IMG_20200807_083250.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 11
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks