If you had just bought your first gas RC what advice would you give yourself?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Everything fair game here:

What hard lessons did I just learn in the last 2 weeks? Install a kill switch. No they did not put loctite at the factory. Failsafe rx.

I am looking for those other bone simple things I don't know. Like: clean your air filter which I am just getting informed about by the internet.

What are those indispensable but entirely obvious things one might take for granted they are so SOP that no one talks about because everyone *should* know this but very very new people like myself are too stupid to even ask about because we're completely lost.

No answer will be considered condescending or too obvious.
Don't let the wife know how much it cost and 'sell it immediately' would also be considered valid advice.

as you said above mate, clean the air filter regular, more regular if you run in dusty conditions,
never assume theres oil/fluid in the shocks/diff, always check, especially if its new and RTR,
always go round with an allen key to make sure stuffs tight, and check regular after a bash or two,
always keep the car or cars clean, or cleanish, you'd be surprised how many people never clean there cars then get upset when something wears out really quickly,
check for breakages and wear regular, and repair as needed,
always carry a few basic spares/ bolts n screws with you and some tools when you go for a bash, the amount of times you go for a bash, lose a screw thats important which was loose or vibrates out and you don't have something suitable to replace it with, ruins a bash session,
try and carry a spare set of wheel/tyres with you, if you blow a tyre off the rim then bash session ruined,
always make sure your rx battery is charged before you leave for a bash,
always double check if you're going to travel to a bash site that you remember to put the tx in the car,
and also double check the tx is in the car before you leave bash spot to go home, especially if you have a 20 mile round trip to go get said tx,
(ask me how i know) :ROFLMAO:,
check your kill switch functions properly before every run/bash,
always check for idiots at the bash spot, the ones that wander across where you're running the car, and the kids that say give us a go mister,
always answer nope to that last one, unless its someone you know really well and trust to run your rc without destroying it,
if they want a go bad enough tell em to go buy one :ROFLMAO:,,
learn to ignore karen/ken when they come over and tell you you're making too much noise,
tell em you can't hear em over the noise of the car and just carry on :D,
never let someone let there dog chase your car, its usually gonna end badly for the dog,
theres afew, i could go on forever tbh :ROFLMAO:

Screw 4wd. Stick with 2wd platforms.
Just for less stuff to break? More reliable? Way lighter I imagine? More fun?

I have a feeling the air filter was never oiled given it's appearance and feel. I guess it wouldn't have shipped oiled would it. Face palm.

I love the baja platform. There more of a challenge to drive. Ive had a mtxl, 5ive T, and currently own a vekta 5. I find myself always grabbing the bajas when its time to bash. I will build a hybrid next.

Thats an extremely biased answer. I wouldn't want a baja even if it was given to me. I still remember way back when the first one I drove I hated it. Even the 30.5 engines were too much for them. Poor handling, crap steering, shite suspension. Didn't have all the aftermarket support we do now. Only thing they had going was the trans was so simple it took a beating. Bent chassis, broken shocks, all normal. Even now you bin 60% of the stock parts in favor of better components for a reliable rig. Screw that.

@Mick Boomer

No Way Football GIF by UEFA

Everybody better start calming down or people are going to start taking 2 week vacations.

I tried to make a funny.
But on a serious note, just take off work the day your taylor 40gt ships so you can open it and hide it before your wife beats you home ,opens it , and finds out about it all at the same time.

Getting yelled at here and now getting yelled at from the wife😔
What should’ve have been the best day in my rc life turned sour today🥺
FML

I tried to make a funny.
But on a serious note, just take off work the day your taylor 40gt ships so you can open it and hide it before your wife beats you home ,opens it , and finds out about it all at the same time.

Getting yelled at here and now getting yelled at from the wife😔
What should’ve have been the best day in my rc life turned sour today🥺
FML
I have had to great successes in this regard. I got a Talion EXB in the house and unboxed and it wasn't until 2 weeks later Mandy noticed there was some suspicious fancy red aluminum braces in 'the black truck' and I was able to explain I got it days before a %15 price increase and she was mollified.

This blatant bright yellow Magnaflow DBXL 2.0 has been in various states of repair in the basement for 2 weeks now and we haven't caught an earful yet.

Since the wife has what I would describe as 'blue fish' syndrome from 'finding Nemo' on account she is a home maker who hits the bong regularly we're already past that 'statute of limitations' which would justify an unhinged dressing down about fiscal responsibility. I am pretty sure she noticed but I guess having two idiot men in the house for so long (three if you count one of the dogs) it was only worth an eye roll and not a yelling at.

All just jokes of course. I have no illusions about our 16 year marriage only surviving because she does that thing I love: tolerate my bull. . . Pucky.
I cannot run it too near the house. A blaring 2 stroke engine within earshot would definitely result in trouble for me and the boy.

Everything fair game here:

What hard lessons did I just learn in the last 2 weeks? Install a kill switch. No they did not put loctite at the factory. Failsafe rx.

I am looking for those other bone simple things I don't know. Like: clean your air filter which I am just getting informed about by the internet.

What are those indispensable but entirely obvious things one might take for granted they are so SOP that no one talks about because everyone *should* know this but very very new people like myself are too stupid to even ask about because we're completely lost.

No answer will be considered condescending or too obvious.
Don't let the wife know how much it cost and 'sell it immediately' would also be considered valid advice.
don't let people have a turn

I have had to great successes in this regard. I got a Talion EXB in the house and unboxed and it wasn't until 2 weeks later Mandy noticed there was some suspicious fancy red aluminum braces in 'the black truck' and I was able to explain I got it days before a %15 price increase and she was mollified.

This blatant bright yellow Magnaflow DBXL 2.0 has been in various states of repair in the basement for 2 weeks now and we haven't caught an earful yet.

Since the wife has what I would describe as 'blue fish' syndrome from 'finding Nemo' on account she is a home maker who hits the bong regularly we're already past that 'statute of limitations' which would justify an unhinged dressing down about fiscal responsibility. I am pretty sure she noticed but I guess having two idiot men in the house for so long (three if you count one of the dogs) it was only worth an eye roll and not a yelling at.

All just jokes of course. I have no illusions about our 16 year marriage only surviving because she does that thing I love: tolerate my bull. . . Pucky.
I cannot run it too near the house. A blaring 2 stroke engine within earshot would definitely result in trouble for me and the boy.
Since were in the happy wife happy life subject now....
I'm about as tactful as a bull dozer, and have numerous expensive hobbies. Rc is actually one of the cheaper ones, as I don't build or buy often. Years ago my wife and I came to an understanding, we have our money, we have our own money. If the bills are paid go buy whatever it is that you want. Don't complain about my stuff and I won't complain about your stuff. I'm a bit worse then she is, but I'd never lie or cover up that I bought something. More expensive things that could out of the joint account we discuss, but rarely do either of us disagree if the funds are available and everything else is taken care of.
The noise thing she just got used to. Between saws, rc cars, trucks, tractors, I don't have much that is quiet.

Since were in the happy wife happy life subject now....
I'm about as tactful as a bull dozer, and have numerous expensive hobbies. Rc is actually one of the cheaper ones, as I don't build or buy often. Years ago my wife and I came to an understanding, we have our money, we have our own money. If the bills are paid go buy whatever it is that you want. Don't complain about my stuff and I won't complain about your stuff. I'm a bit worse then she is, but I'd never lie or cover up that I bought something. More expensive things that could out of the joint account we discuss, but rarely do either of us disagree if the funds are available and everything else is taken care of.
The noise thing she just got used to. Between saws, rc cars, trucks, tractors, I don't have much that is quiet.
Showoff! 😂😂😂
My wife actually wasn’t pissed. She actually said wow. Now that doesn’t look like a toy car part lol.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks