Ignition timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z.hb71

Build Thread Contributor
Soo what ignition timing should i run in the 70cc with 93-98 (depends on if i use/find octane booster that will work and isnt snake oil) octane pump gas? is there a calculator/calculation for this?? i was running 17* before tdc with e85 i think it was fine, wil this work? no idea!! maybe i should ask Athena (people who make my top end on the 70),??

Keep it realy simple get your rig running on pump gas?? when it's all running and you can take it out......then worrie bout octane boost
That's what I'm Gunna do i just need to know what I need to set it @. I don't think 17° will work cuz that's e85 which is equivalent to 108 octane. So I need to find out what timing to use with 93.

Alright so 92 octane (which is what I get at the pumps) isn't enough, I need atleast 96 says Athena. Soooo now what I'm Gunna do is use this stuff by blendzall called gold label. It's been around for awhile and apparently been tested and proved isn't snake oil. It's 2 stroke oil that has octane booster mixed in. So I'm Gunna wait till blendzall gets back to me with how much it will raise the octane rating.

Speaking of timing & ignition ,some engines rely on the counter weight of a fly wheel magneto ,I am curious how your
engine runs with out that?

Keep in mind that the RON for USA is different than elsewhere. What is 91 92 for us is like 97 or so for them. Even in the Islands we have customers who tell me the same thing. Makes no sense though because you would think the RON number would be the same everywhere.

Keep in mind that the RON for USA is different than elsewhere. What is 91 92 for us is like 97 or so for them. Even in the Islands we have customers who tell me the same thing. Makes no sense though because you would think the RON number would be the same everywhere.
Ok but I'm not sure, they didn't specify Ron vs whatever else in the manual. Tho Im 99% sure Athena is out of Italy!

What do you mean? My flywheel has a magnet ?

LOL....I am in the dark about your set up ,the same way your in the dark about the fly wheel ,most of the engine
that I worked on ,has the fly wheel magneto ,I never seen or worked on a set up like yours!....:unsure:

LOL....I am in the dark about your set up ,the same way your in the dark about the fly wheel ,most of the engine
that I worked on ,has the fly wheel magneto ,I never seen or worked on a set up like yours!....:unsure:
Oh wait so your talking about a rotor and stator type thing right? As far as I know I'm the only one with my setup. Which is good and bad! I need to get a new flywheel and grind a key way in it at the proper location. When I had the keyway made j didn't specify were to put it as I didn't know what timing I was trying to run so they did it anywhere which is why my bracket is so weird. I will get a new one, drill it and make the keyway myself with my Dremel and then remake the bracket in a better location so it's not stuck in a corner and sucks to work on lol

Alright so 92 octane (which is what I get at the pumps) isn't enough, I need atleast 96 says Athena. Soooo now what I'm Gunna do is use this stuff by blendzall called gold label. It's been around for awhile and apparently been tested and proved isn't snake oil. It's 2 stroke oil that has octane booster mixed in. So I'm Gunna wait till blendzall gets back to me with how much it will raise the octane rating.
Z what is the compression ratio on the 71? Also they are in Europe correct? They rate octane differently over there, so 92 ,93 U.S. would probably equal 96 over in Europe. My GSXR 750 is 11:1 compression, I have to run 92 to 93 octane . You should be fine running 92/93 pump gas.

Z what is the compression ratio on the 71? Also they are in Europe correct? They rate octane differently over there, so 92 ,93 U.S. would probably equal 96 over in Europe. My GSXR 750 is 11:1 compression, I have to run 92 to 93 octane . You should be fine running 92/93 pump gas.
Running 14:1, Athena says 96 octane and they are in Italy

Not to jinx it but there's a place near by named rock n roll automotive and according to sunoco's website, they have 104 octane 260 gt plus! Which would be nice since there's zero ethanol in it and it will be consistent 104 vs at a pump it's inconsistent sometimes. I'll call and see tomorrow or on Monday.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks