Is this is a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the king motor 2.0 alloy is a good buggy and for £500 your getting somthing new out the box, not someone elses problems a lot of people say don,t bother with a new clone get a 2nd hand hpi baja , but it seems most 2nd hand baja,s have had a hard life, the only two issue,s with the king motor 2.0 seem to be the cheap throttle servo and the pull start, apart from that you get a 2.4 gig hand set and a well hop.d up new buggy,

the king motor 2.0 alloy is a good buggy and for £500 your getting somthing new out the box, not someone elses problems a lot of people say don,t bother with a new clone get a 2nd hand hpi baja , but it seems most 2nd hand baja,s have had a hard life, the only two issue,s with the king motor 2.0 seem to be the cheap throttle servo and the pull start, apart from that you get a 2.4 gig hand set and a well hop.d up new buggy,

Exaclty what more do you want :w00t:

Sorry to hear about your bad experiance, if something seems to good to be true, it usually is. its people like that whom give honest sellers bad names. If you are after a 5b or a 5t then send me a PM. I have just recently built a 5b and am in the process of doing a 5t, I am honest about what it wrong (if anything) and am fair on the prices which I think is fair.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiance, if something seems to good to be true, it usually is. its people like that whom give honest sellers bad names. If you are after a 5b or a 5t then send me a PM. I have just recently built a 5b and am in the process of doing a 5t, I am honest about what it wrong (if anything) and am fair on the prices which I think is fair.

After looking around for a few days, I am now starting to wonder why I don't just put an extra few £100 down and get an SS kit and build it myself :)

I know I had a budget, but ModelSports have them for £750 and with a radio its more like £800+.. But thats got to be better than spending £500-£700 on an unknown.

Jon

After looking around for a few days, I am now starting to wonder why I don't just put an extra few £100 down and get an SS kit and build it myself :)

I know I had a budget, but ModelSports have them for £750 and with a radio its more like £800+.. But thats got to be better than spending £500-£700 on an unknown.

Jon

if you want the hpi then get it but i no when i get another im gooing for the king motor an the extra £250 and get hopups for it
mike

I bought alloy kingmotor and yes... there has been few issues. Both servos, cylinder, rubber parts and broken diff. Also I have broke rear shock but that wasnt exactly quality problem, it was more like desing prob because bajas don't have any suspension limiters. Also gotta say that hpi non ss diff is known to be weak and diff it self didnt seem weak just put together without locktite. Servos did work half A summer so it wasnt good of course but not horrible for rtr elecs. Hpi tyres are also known to wear very fast. Cylinder had big piece cracked from bottom and I am not first km owner to suffer this failure so this and bad diff are flaws that you unlikely meet with baja ss. Baja ss build quality is at your own hands so morelikely you do it better than underpayed chinese. KM wasnt bad it just needs little bolt tightening and few places are going to broke but with that price its great. And rcmodelz... Baja was great but for me rcmodelz newer again. Gotta say you cant beat that feeling when you open box and there is big heavy all alloy orange brand new baja... that really looks stunning.

I bought alloy kingmotor and yes... there has been few issues. Both servos, cylinder, rubber parts and broken diff. Also I have broke rear shock but that wasnt exactly quality problem, it was more like desing prob because bajas don't have any suspension limiters. Also gotta say that hpi non ss diff is known to be weak and diff it self didnt seem weak just put together without locktite. Servos did work half A summer so it wasnt good of course but not horrible for rtr elecs. Hpi tyres are also known to wear very fast. Cylinder had big piece cracked from bottom and I am not first km owner to suffer this failure so this and bad diff are flaws that you unlikely meet with baja ss. Baja ss build quality is at your own hands so morelikely you do it better than underpayed chinese. KM wasnt bad it just needs little bolt tightening and few places are going to broke but with that price its great. And rcmodelz... Baja was great but for me rcmodelz newer again. Gotta say you cant beat that feeling when you open box and there is big heavy all alloy orange brand new baja... that really looks stunning.

I was with you right up until you said "Baja was great but for me rcmodelz newer again".. Do you mean NEVER?? Is that to say that if you had your time again you would NOT buy a KM?

Today I tried to haggle for the original Baja back.. I realised that its not great, but it did have possibilities and I figured that a few quid spent might make it quite nice.. For me, the biggest problem was the fact that it was covered in orange alloy parts, and had orange camo shock covers.. But when you pulled them down, there were purple shocks underneath, which were really battered with what looked like "mole grip marks" around them.. I also noticed that it didn't sit quite right and didn't have much 'bounce'.. I figured that the shocks could either do with a good service or perhaps replacements. For me, this was the single thing which made my heart sink the most..

But not only will he not accept my new price (Which was only £35 less than I paid) he now wants more money, because "he has found out what its worth".. I think the it WILL sell on Ebay as what he offers looks good on paper, but I don't think its worth it... All the photos I saw were great and all the descriptions made it sound something special, but in my opinion, when seen in the flesh it wasn't great.. For £400 it would have been worth a punt.. But when I got to see what my colleague got for £600 recently, it was night and day..

He may sell it for more on Ebay.. But he may not.. But I won't be around to buy it, as if I don't find a 2nd hand one within a week or so, I am going to buy a new SS..

Jon

Last edited:
if i had the cash i would just bite the bullit and get a new ss i would be wicked just opening the box and putting the ss together no problems no damage new engine no scratches ect your own paint design sweet it don't get much better than that don't forget that there not rtr and you will need to get radio and throttle servo battery im sure they come with steering servo yes its abit more money than second hand but its new and will give you hours of wicked fun i use my marder beetle 3 times a week at best worst case it sits for a month not used but puts a smile on my face every time its working well

+1 renbar.................jon go for it a new SS and you wont be dissapointed

and don't skimp on a cheap radio........

you only get what you pay for in this game ......if its cheap then its

usually rubbish:w00t:

my SS is in bits just in case ...........LOL

K....

+1 renbar.................jon go for it a new SS and you wont be dissapointed

and don't skimp on a cheap radio........

you only get what you pay for in this game ......if its cheap then its

usually rubbish:w00t:

my SS is in bits just in case ...........LOL

K....

Its done now.. I have bought a 2nd hand SS.. Apparantly its only been used 3 times and hasn't even finished its 3rd tank and I got it (via Ebay) for £510 which seems a very good deal.

I am obviously taking a chance as I havn't seen it and it hasn't had any upgrades and doens't come with any spares, which is a bit disappointing, but I decided to go for it anyway.

It only got a crappy Acoms radio, but I will change that for something 3 channel.. I think I did fairly well.. But the proof of the pudding will be seeing it in the flesh..

Fingers crossed!

Jon

jon let us all know if and when it goes on ebay then we can all

have a butchers:D:D

K....

So this is the one I originally wrote this post about..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260655018683&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

He has listed it as 'immaculate'.. God help us.. On paper it sounds great.. And it wasn't THAT bad.. But the chassis was completely battered so it clearly has had a hard life and there were too many minor defects to count..

Now that I am looking at it again, I am wondering if I was a little too critical, but I had a friend with me, and now its gone back, he has admitted that he though it looked like 'junk'.. It was listed a few hours ago and he immediately accepted an offer for £550.. It will be interested what the buyer thinks of it.. I would LOVE to have chance to talk to him, just to put my mind at rest as to whether it was a good deal or not.

The highlights for me were

1. Ripped driveshaft covers
2. Pull start jammed against flywheel in the process 'spitting' out bits of plastic
3. Flywheel cover REALLY tatty (although I was given £15 to buy a new one)
4. Suspension sagging
5. The orange alloy spoiler at the top was held on with 1 screw.. ONE.. Why didn't he put a few more in, just to hold it.. One of the holes was filled with white silicon rubber which immediately made me think that the threads were stripped.
6. Pull start attached with 3 different screw.. 4th hole empty
7. £500 spares? In the box there were a few plastic parts (which I assumed they were the original pre-bling bits) and a couple of new HPI sealed items.. Can't see how it was £500
8. Shocks were purple, totally clashing with rest of car.. And 'caps' were ripped to shreds, probably with molegrips.
9. Oil leaking out between exhaust and engine.. May be normal, but I didn't like it.
10. Took about 10 pulls to start.. He claimed that just needed tuning (probably true)
11. Hole in fuel tank (this had now been replaced)
12. Car just didn't look square.. no doubt the bumpers could have been bent back, but why not do this before sale.
13. Aerial snapped off TX.

here is a video that he sent me taken the morning that I picked it up

It was hardly 'immaculate' and I would be gutted if I bought it based on that fact! Even the photos are inconsistent.. In the one he shows (which I believe were taken a while before) it has an orange engine and spur gear cover.. In the video they are no longer there...

But this is the one I just bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170529581108&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The photos arn't great and some of them look like its got a few scratches on the chassis and a chip on the wheel nut.. But if the description is to be believed its done less than 3 tanks of fuel, so how bad can it be... I would say that for £510 I did well...

Looking forwards to your thoughts.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this on the baja-forum, he had a comp to name it.

It does look good on paper with the Hop ups. Shame you didn't like the looks.

Hope the SS turns out ok for you, i'd pull it apart when you get it and give it a good look over.

I've seen this on the baja-forum, he had a comp to name it.

It does look good on paper with the Hop ups. Shame you didn't like the looks.

Hope the SS turns out ok for you, i'd pull it apart when you get it and give it a good look over.

What does "comp to name it" mean? It wasn't the looks I didn't like.. There was nothing wrong with the looks... It looked amazing.. it was the engineering that was in question.. It just stunk of shoddy maintenance.. I mean come on.. It started to 3 seconds and a 'screw' fell out and jammed between the pull starter and fly wheel... I just didn't trust it.. He seemed more interested in 'bling' and how loud it sounded, than how well put together it was.. Or atleast that was my feeling.

Jon

Last edited:
cant see 2K in hop ups and spares in the original one :trout:

and the second one looks ok but as jacko says strip and rebuild to be

sure of things being right:lol::saddam:

i notice local pick up only hmmmmmmmmm

K....

cant see 2K in hop ups and spares in the original one :trout:

and the second one looks ok but as jacko says strip and rebuild to be

sure of things being right:lol::saddam:

i notice local pick up only hmmmmmmmmm

K....

Whats wrong with local pickup only.. They are all like that, as people tend to not want to ship them... What are you thinking? Con???

Jon

Back