Just got my KM Baja... a few questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qckslvr

Fiercely mediocre
Just got my KM Baja, and some questions for the more experienced.

So to start I am waiting for a new rear bulk head as UPS was their usual selves when they delivered the car to me.

First thing I did with the car after taking apart the bulkhead area was install a Dynamite engine kill switch. Simple enough, all went well there. I did my home work here, and went to O'Reilly auto and got a couple spark plugs. I noticed when I removed the coil that the engine already had a NGK CMR7H in it. I figured I could break in the engine while waiting for the rear bulk head.... plus I really wanted to drive it :p

First time starting it took about 30 minutes of pulling, all it would do is sputter. I pulled the plug, it was black, but not wet. Dropped in new plug and it started, but died short after. I then reset the screws on the carb. The low was 2 turns out and the high was set correct at 1.5. Reset them, let the car sit, and in 5 pulls it was running. I did have to trim the throttle up to about 10% open throttle to get it to idle at first. Now it seems to idle fine at 0.

So my bigger issue though was a speed bump in back of my house. I hit it not to fast, and lost steering! The linkage arm popped off the servo! That is when I noticed it took absolutely no force to put the arm back on the ball stud. The socket is shot. Has any one else had this issue?

Next, the front suspension. I know this is not an onroad car, but it is fairly sloppy. As in I can rock the front hubs and get 2+ degrees of caster movement. The rear is pretty solid, no slop. Is this normal as well? I don't plan on going into some serious races, this is more for peace of mind.

Also thinking of installing a silenced DDM Dominator V2 on the buggy :)

Just got my KM Baja, and some questions for the more experienced.

So to start I am waiting for a new rear bulk head as UPS was their usual selves when they delivered the car to me.

First thing I did with the car after taking apart the bulkhead area was install a Dynamite engine kill switch. Simple enough, all went well there. I did my home work here, and went to O'Reilly auto and got a couple spark plugs. I noticed when I removed the coil that the engine already had a NGK CMR7H in it. I figured I could break in the engine while waiting for the rear bulk head.... plus I really wanted to drive it :p

First time starting it took about 30 minutes of pulling, all it would do is sputter. I pulled the plug, it was black, but not wet. Dropped in new plug and it started, but died short after. I then reset the screws on the carb. The low was 2 turns out and the high was set correct at 1.5. Reset them, let the car sit, and in 5 pulls it was running. I did have to trim the throttle up to about 10% open throttle to get it to idle at first. Now it seems to idle fine at 0.

So my bigger issue though was a speed bump in back of my house. I hit it not to fast, and lost steering! The linkage arm popped off the servo! That is when I noticed it took absolutely no force to put the arm back on the ball stud. The socket is shot. Has any one else had this issue?

Next, the front suspension. I know this is not an onroad car, but it is fairly sloppy. As in I can rock the front hubs and get 2+ degrees of caster movement. The rear is pretty solid, no slop. Is this normal as well? I don't plan on going into some serious races, this is more for peace of mind.

Also thinking of installing a silenced DDM Dominator V2 on the buggy :)
The stock plastic parts are Usually sloppy. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I haven't had an issue with the small steering linkage, it shouldn't be that loose , especially when new. I'd ask for a new one .

DO this , I tightened up my whole system this way , takes 10 min, 4-40 nylon screws and locking nuts ( metal or nylon ) drill and tap on the ends then tighten the screw and lock in place. They will be adjustable for a while .

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_224145505.jpg
    IMG_20201022_224145505.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20201022_224016227.jpg
    IMG_20201022_224016227.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20201022_223936770.jpg
    IMG_20201022_223936770.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 28
I'm on the same painful learning curve as you with my Baja. This is what i learned -
Replace arms with RPM or Aluminum, it's just a matter of time before those fails. These parts are brittle.

Get a gyro. this will help to keep it stable. I got the one from KM and it helped quite a bit.

Go thru the car and blue-locktite all the screws prone to vibration, but not the usual removal like the wheels nuts.

Replace bumper with RPM. Aluminum will bend and won't dissipate force.

Get a $5 1" silicone hose from ebay to join the exhaust pipe, then get $1 hose clamp to hold the hose in place.

Tires, get a dedicated street tires, the stock ones are half decent for street and half decent for dirt.

I'm i. the process of replacing the steering wiper with alum, we'll see how it goes.

shocks. The car bottoms out too quickly and gets squirly. Lift the rear and front as much as you can and replace pistons with 3 holes in front and 2 on rear and use 45wt.

I learned that investing on decent tools like MIP or associated will pay off, stripped heads are frustrating and will make you want to throw the rc away.

I hope this helps.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks