Just got the 5T but I found this????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptor50

just opened up the 5T on Sat. morning at 6 like if it was christmas to find out that something leaked in the truck to the bottom of the chassis. Seems like diff oil, since it only appeared at the back of the truck. I read some that diff was dry in some and wondering if thats my case as well. HMMM.. they should make this a kit so I don't have to apart/fix the stuff that shouldhave been done in first place..

diff's don't need oil like that anyway, iwould drill a tiny hole in middle of diff if you can and fill it up with some greese,if you had a gun you could pump it in,you don't need much,diff oils 80percent of the time leak anyway,when you finished with greese put a nice small screw in the hole with a small washer and you have your greese point for future use...

i wouldnt send it back over that.
its nothing to get too worked about.

take it apart and fill the diff with oil.
i have two 5 b and both were almost bone dry.
check to make sure there is oil in them.

IMHO, Unless you absolutely pack the diff. with grease the rotation of the gears will cause it all to be slung to the case walls. Also, using grease will effect the limited slip characteristics of the differential. :no:

ah i don't know about that,it would alright to a certain degree but to a level you wouldnt even notice.

all fg's come standard with greese in diffs and carson models.

maybe nitros are differnt what you would be used to.
actually all my nitros were all greese diffs also.

+1 to that. I have thick grease in both my FG and Mutilator and had never had a problem. It's really thick and sticky like Gorilla Snot !!!

ah i don't know about that,it would alright to a certain degree but to a level you wouldnt even notice.

all fg's come standard with greese in diffs and carson models.

maybe nitros are differnt what you would be used to.
actually all my nitros were all greese diffs also.

He doesn't have an FG he has a Baja 5t!!!

Take a photo, post it on your photo host and send the link to HPI in there email support. After you send it call the service number and tell them you sent a photo and you need service on a defective part.
Let them know immediately so in case something is wrong it will be covered. If you take it apart they may wonder if you damaged it.
Contact the seller and tell them also the problem.

Good luck.

HPI:

Phone: http://www.hpiracing.com/support/#map

Email: http://www.hpiracing.com/emailsupport/

no,no,no.. some crazy miss-info here.. hpi diff should not leak if assembled properly. THIS IS NOT AN FG. it is a common hpi feature to send a rig with NO OIL.. not sure why. adding diffrent wieghts of diff oil will geatly effect your handling and is wise to tune using the diff. they are alum and built well with a functioning design. to build it properly you must simply TIGHTEN THE SCREWS.. no need for power tools here. it is also wise to to go over the hole rig and re-asemble using loc-tite. the reason why they come assembled is couse china's labor rate is about $120 a month. it is easer to sell a pre-assembled rig then a kit(to amatures).. the only benifit to selling in kit form is shipping as you can pack a container with more product

oh ya. you can use grease. but the design of the hpi diff is useless with grease. you want to use a diff oil. im running 30k with good resoults..

so its not the diff then what leaked? I saw a sticker that says quality control passed but it had some chinese characters in it which states that it was done in china or china men. Well, i work with many chinese made fixtures and models etc, and I never buy them. Reason?? yes they are cheap but never ever reliable. Honestly, would u buy a car that $5k but was made in China? Christ sakes they even make fake eggs!! Yes eggs.

Anyways, I bought this from Towerhobbies, would they return this? Once again, this box is big enough to fit my wifey.. thanks..

so its not the diff then what leaked? I saw a sticker that says quality control passed but it had some chinese characters in it which states that it was done in china or china men. Well, i work with many chinese made fixtures and models etc, and I never buy them. Reason?? yes they are cheap but never ever reliable. Honestly, would u buy a car that $5k but was made in China? Christ sakes they even make fake eggs!! Yes eggs.

Anyways, I bought this from Towerhobbies, would they return this? Once again, this box is big enough to fit my wifey.. thanks..

Easy dude! Either go the HPI service route or check the differential. Do not use grease in the diff.:nono:, my SS came stock with #1000 silicone oil. You can check your manual and see what the stock differential oil should be. I have absolutely no experience with FG so I don't know why they use grease. I know it is a PITA to have to fix something that is supposed to be RTR, personally I would check it out myself but I like tinkering with stuff. Also, Tower is a good vendor and should hook you up whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

MAYBE THIS HOBBIE ISNT FOR YOU!! there all made in china. you bought one of the best models out there and you seem to be not so happy between this and stearing servo... ITS THE DIFF!! its not brokein and their is no reason to return anything. or even call hpi.. just take the freakin thing apart. no big deal.
but if its the tire thats leaking you better bring it back.. ITS TOXIC!! thats why they have so many screws on the side.. rado active material..

don't DRILL a hole in your diff case, it ll just let the oil go right back out.

tear it down, fill the diff to the cross pins with diff oil of chosen viscosity (5000 is what i have now in). use a NEW Diff Seal and put it together. the T diffs will have the ALuminum Diff case, once re assembled, and the bolts are locktited and snugged up and the locktite dries, the diff should not leak. I put a TR Diff Saver cases on my RTR in late 06 or early 07. its still going strong with no leaks, but i do need to open it up and swap out for new diff oil this spring.

Also inspect the diff case to make sure there is no cracks or chips that is letting the fluid by the rubber seal. It should not leak. You may also check that they did not pinch the seal when they put it together.

don't DRILL a hole in your diff case, it ll just let the oil go right back out.

tear it down, fill the diff to the cross pins with diff oil of chosen viscosity (5000 is what i have now in). use a NEW Diff Seal and put it together. the T diffs will have the ALuminum Diff case, once re assembled, and the bolts are locktited and snugged up and the locktite dries, the diff should not leak. I put a TR Diff Saver cases on my RTR in late 06 or early 07. its still going strong with no leaks, but i do need to open it up and swap out for new diff oil this spring.

nobody told him to drill a hole around here for putting oil in it,READ OVER again i said to put greese in it.

god dam does anybody even read before commenting!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks