King Motor X2 review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree its toast. Just ordered a Hitec 840wp for steering myself. I have been tremendously lucky with my original KM servos as they are still working however the steering has seen better days and if noise is an indicator it's on its way to the great parts box in the sky soon. What version of the Power HD servos you planning to use Revo?

I was looking at the Power HD1235MG (+500 oz/ in.) but didn't want to get a different 17t spline horn and adapter for its smaller case size, so I ended up with this one: http://www.rovanrc.com/lt-4wd-truck/lt-slt-rs-2050d-50kg-digital-steering-servo/
Stronger, faster, than the KM servo, the same size and splined servo horn 15t. I'll find out if the gears are as tough. I bought it as a test, the folks there say they are as good as Savox, but I have my doubts, as Savox wasn't all that impressive for me in the smaller scales. That is why I went to power hd TG's for racing and bashing in my 1/10 and 1/8 scales in the first place.....I'm willing to try something new and be the guinea pig.

SAvox servos have served me well in the past just not in this format. Their high end heli servos are bang on. That being said I have had the broadest range of success with Hitec variants for just about every application i can think of. This probably led to my choice with the 845. Will keep an eye on this post to see how the upgraded Rovan unit does for you since I will need are replacement for the throttle brake servo this year probably. The Spektrum 9020 looks promising but they are way deep into the either on the pricing and i have never had a Spectrum servo I did not hate with all my heart.

This is funny, note the brand of manufacturer of the Rovan RS2050D servo, "Suspect RC street gear" :eek:Never name a new company Suspect, Suspicious, 2nd guess, 3rd times the charm, Oh well better luck next time, etc......These are all corporate names to avoid, no matter how cheap the domain name is on the internet!o_O

Attachments

• IMG_5043.JPG
    IMG_5043.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 27
Revo, the new hitec 845wp has amazing performance for the money. Finally got to try it out last weekend and the difference is astounding. Fitment was easy enough and it helped to clearance the servo arm farther away from the front center drive output I booted to help retain the center pin if the lock screw failed. I used 2 worn spider gear pillow blocks under each servo tab mounting hole to clearance it from the chassis. Making some single piece standoffs soon. DDM has a decent deal on the 845 right now with the required servo horn included for around 120. I got mine through the local HS for 90.00 and ordered the arm from DDM for 12.00. High recommendations from me so far for whatever that's worth. :)

So how are the x2's holding up ?

I have that servo 2050D, is a beast, rock solid, when it arrived could not believe how heavy was the box. Replaced the throttle servo on the X2, during one of my runs the cylinder head plastic cover got loose and would only touch the throttle linkage at full throttle. So if doing a quick glance, everything looks fine, noob mistake, not to check WOT and verify the servo was moving freely. The servo was over-working whenever running the X2 all out. All of a sudden it started acting up as if it had ABS but at WOT, as if flickering. I thought was radio signal, battery, the kill switch acting up, it had me running around trying to figure that out. Man, we are talking about 2mm clearance of plastic cover would touch the throttle linkage at 100%, that cost $57.00 (a new servo). Cable cutters to chop off that extra piece of plastic, a 10 second fix, and would still have the original servo, it happens.

The X2 is finally running good, its a monster, jumps like a champ, and loud as it can be. Unfortunately since acquiring the KM Baja, its on the shelf and is only run to shake off the dust. The baja to me is more challenging (and reminds me of my first rc car (the RC10 gold pan), prefer the lightness, immediate response of the buggy, so easy to throw around, and although its the same engine, the baja sounds much better. No braggin or whatever, but when you see people driving off the road to pass by the field where I am driving it, and say, "so thats what I was hearing all along". At the other side there is a public park, people drive and slowly cruise by and check out the baja for a few minutes and roll along. Sometimes I stop, and ask them if its too loud, that I can move to another place, and people respond requesting to please continue driving it, and ask me if its ok to watch.

I still think that to really enjoy the X2 or the Losi 5ive, w/e, it needs a bigger engine, I am planning to do a complete tlc teardown, and may leave it on the shelf until it has a OBR, on the meantime the baja keeps me busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had a good spot nearby. So wet out right now anyway. I'd spend twice as long cleaning it as driving it. The Rovan servo replacement has been aces, also replaced my throttle servo with a Savox and all has been well with me. Those blue KM X2 servos did not last for me at all. Both gone in one season....

RC-mud%201_zpsqgy4g0wa.jpg

RC-mud%205_zpsvr17dep8.jpg

RC-mud%207_zpsjl1eu7jm.jpg

My son had not driven it for a while, I told him just go for it.
He had lots of fun...
I followed on the Baja, je je! oh well...
RC-mud%202_zpsyjc6mfyc.jpg

RC-mud%203_zpsctx550fw.jpg

Honestly, both RC had about 8 pounds of mud. The X2 had more because it had lots plastered inside the short course body and all around the cage. I have never seen such heavy mud, had a clay feel.
I am tired right now, spent the last two hours washing all the dirt off, and finally tested, all electronics work.

So yes, the X2 is holding on fine. Its not the fastest 5th scale, but its finally reliable and trouble free. Of course, there is the usual pull starter going bad, leaky carb, but mechanically both are running fine.

Here is the underside of each, blue X2 and 2050 used in the LT 305.

I dare to say both are water resistant, spray down the truck last night after some crazy bashing. Opened them up, not a drop of water, and both working sound good as new.
There is a huge difference in quality; the 2050 is a metal body and the motor is secured by the servo walls, like how the cnc walls curve around the motor. Two things; hit dissipation (as a heatsink) and to be super secured in place. The electronics board and soldering overall very nice design, not a loose board with wires running into the electric motor like other models, including the blue one.

The blue X2 servo is so so in its layout, but so far it has been trouble free.

Attachments

• IMG_20170129_194523.jpg
    IMG_20170129_194523.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20170129_194510.jpg
    IMG_20170129_194510.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 24
Yep, took a while to get there, only wish Dan has some warranty. Certain things he should have replaced, throttle and steering servo, plus damages to the front wheels. All because the damn throttle servo glitch out... but anyway, its a old story.

Back to the subject, those 2050s are a hidden gem.

For throttle I use Hitec, the same one I got on all my 1/8 nitro platforms, and 1/10 crawler.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks