KM Baja KSRC-001 Pre-Run Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
This is a Pre-Review of the KM Baja KSRC-001. My son received a KM Baja and pipe for Christmas and since it was winter we thought we would tear it down and see what items we feel are good and bad points of the model and try to change the bad. Now this KM Baja was purchased from eBay and is a clearance of older stock. Although we compare different points to HPI Baja parts this review is not a comparison and this should strictly be used as a KM Baja review and not to be mixed in any way with the HPI Baja. With that said I’m sure we all know what I’m talking about.
We removed the stock radio gear and the servos. We like our prefered electronics and do not like ANY RTR radio equipment and my son likes his spectrum with the PRO receiver. We/I am very picky with what we like too. I can say that you will not be able to swap out your steering servo with any other type of servo then the KM one, unless you buy an HPI case set and swap out the servo holder with an HPI one. The KM steering servo is rounded on the sides and slightly smaller then HPI’s. They have made a different servo holder especially for there KM servo. Therefore we cannot give you any info on the radio gear that was supplied. We will also be buying a failsafe for all but one of our models before running next summer.
We noticed that the box did not include any oils or any extra parts. Just tools and an extra filter.

We tore the KM buggy down completely from the transmission, shocks, plastic and metal supports, electronics and tires. Although we tore the motor down we did not remove the head or separate the crank case. We did however inspect these items the best we could from the exterior. Man I thought he was in heaven pulling it all apart. Putting it back together that was the struggle, he was about 10% there.:clown:

DSC05052.jpg

We noticed that the shocks in there stock form did not want to work properly. They seemed real stiff and sticky. The adjustment nuts were set to there tightest setting. Here is a video of the stock shock working without the springs.

th_MOV05076.jpg

We opened the shocks to find a couple were low on shock oil. We also found the shock oil to be like 45-55 weight oil. We did change that to 20w non-hobby shock oil all the way around.

DSC05054.jpg
DSC05055.jpg

The shock plunger has two holes. One of the shocks was assembled without the C clip that keeps the shock plunger from bottoming out. We installed one. We noticed that the plunger is set on the shaft so that it cannot pass by and run the full length of the shaft, so the only difference would be the shock plunger could completely bottom out. We noticed on one other shock that the O-ring was not set correctly. We corrected it.

DSC05056.jpg
DSC05057.jpg
DSC05084.jpg

We also noticed that the end cap does not have a bleeder line run through the plastic to bleed the shocks. The seal inside was also not inserted completely into the end cap. We needed to repress the seal and push the cap back down to refit the keeper lid.

DSC05061.jpg
DSC05082.jpg

After disassembling the end cap we found that the seal was created with three rings in a one piece grommet.

DSC05060.jpg

The shaft boots are thicker, stiffer and darker. Not sure stiffer is better? Although they may take more punishment they also may interfere with how the shock moves up and down.

DSC05062.jpg

After rebuilding the shocks and changing out the oil we now have shocks that seem to perform. Here is a comparison video.

th_MOV05077.jpg

The filter looks to be not the best filter on its own. Although it may perform well I would recommend using a Redneck filter over the stock or switching it out to a HPI inner filter and Redneck. The filters are not oiled and it is a must to check that before running. Here you can see HPI’s and KM’s next to each other just to have something to compare too. The rubber o-ring was not lubed which we installed some lubrication too when we reinstalled.

DSC05157.jpg
DSC05158.jpg
DSC05159.jpg
DSC05031.jpg

Here you can see the width difference.
Slightly too small:

DSC05161.jpg

Just right:

DSC05163.jpg

Differences in sizes. HPI on left, KM on right.

DSC05164.jpg

The stock battery seems to be a good match. It’s a 2000NiMh battery that held 2594 after charging.

DSC05154.jpg
DSC05155.jpg

The radio box is slightly larger then the HPI and that makes the tank slightly different as well. The Km does not have an extra hole drilled in the bottom of the chassis and the pin on the bottom of the box has been removed.

DSC05156.jpg
DSC05106.jpg

The front steering had a bit more play then we wanted. We installed a couple of rubber washers to the shafts. O-rings could also be used. Here is a video of the play.

th_MOV05108.jpg

And after we installed the rubber rings.

DSC05109.jpg
th_MOV05110.jpg

The front upper arms are slightly different from HPI’s by changing the upper support cross shaft horizontal instead of vertical. KM on right.

DSC05093.jpg

The front lower arm is different in that the middle and center area is thinner.

DSC05094.jpg
DSC05095.jpg

The rear lower arm is different in the front facing side is thicker and they use a nut on the back side of the shock screw.

DSC05101.jpg
DSC05100.jpg
DSC05102.jpg
DSC05120.jpg

The rear upper arm is the same dimensions.

DSC05103.jpg

The rear shock support has a metal plug installed to reduce the chance of back out.

DSC05119.jpg

The front steering shafts are made of steel not aluminum.

DSC05097.jpg

The drive shafts are slightly different. They lack the plastic end.

DSC05104.jpg

The gas cap has a rubber fitting with a slice in it to vent the tank.

DSC05087.jpg
DSC05105.jpg

We roughed up the brake disks and installed the pen springs in the brake pads. We also removed the spring for the brake rod and installed Tygon fuel line instead.

DSC05117.jpg
DSC05118.jpg

The gear cover was slightly over sized. It stays in place it just could have been tighter.

DSC05124.jpg

Spur gear.

DSC05121.jpg

The pinion gear was installed with two types of lock washers. We removed the set up and reversed the pinion bolt and installed a lock washer using locktight. We noticed the bell is slightly off center.

DSC05112.jpg
DSC05113.jpg
DSC05114.jpg
DSC05115.jpg
DSC05116.jpg

We tore into the differential and found everything to be ok. We checked the differential fluid and all was ok. We did install the infamous missing bearing.

DSC05111.jpg

The KM motor has the clutch part of the crank case. We ended up putting the screen modification on also.

DSC05043.jpg
DSC05044.jpg
DSC05032.jpg
DSC05033.jpg

We also added the red HPI spring to the clutch. We needed to slightly drill out the spring holes larger for it to accept the new thicker spring. Oh, and reversed the shoes.

DSC05034.jpg

We removed the carb and checked through the exhaust and intake holes and found that the ports must not have been smoothed like they should of by the manufacture. The motor was run prior to it being shipped by the manufacture and we found that the piston was scratched slightly during this process probably when the piston smoothed out the ports. I have seen this before on lower priced motors.
We did notice a strange ring like shaping on the inside of the head which I think is from manufacturing.

DSC05015.jpg
DSC05017.jpg
DSC05018.jpg
DSC05021.jpg
DSC05022.jpg
DSC05023.jpg
DSC05025.jpg
DSC05026.jpg
DSC05027.jpg
DSC05028.jpg

The piston top has an interesting smooth flat spot on top with an “I” engraved.

DSC05040.jpg

The pull start already had an alloy pawl installed.

DSC05041.jpg
DSC05042.jpg

Interesting spark plug? Made by TORCH.

DSC05046.jpg
DSC05048.jpg

The stock can is interesting. They did not use a screen and insulation. They installed a piece of metal sheet down the center of the can and drilled three holed in line with the exhaust tube and another three above that.

DSC05098.jpg
DSC05099.jpg

Black rear tire foams. We installed the tape modification.

DSC05045.jpg

First generation type without the ring but second rim design. We ended up making our own rings and epoxy them on.

DSC05053.jpg

I tearing it apart and reassembling we found there to be quite a bit of rust on the nuts used.

DSC05122.jpg

In looks, this looks to be a good inexpensive model. It has its cheap areas and I would not just buy it, put gas in, and go. Take your time, tear it down, and inspect it and your good to go.:)

My son will be supplying me with the info this spring for a test drive review. :lol:

Last edited:
Nice BTB.......if your son needs any parts.... atleast the HPI parts and the aftermarket hopups are a direct fit:)

What did you get the buggy for ??? was it the Ebay special???

$389 plus $50 for the tunnedpipie and then $89 shipping...$530 total.

I paid $550 that for a stock KM..... when I bought mine 8 months ago

Last edited:
Nice BTB.......if your son needs any parts.... atleast the HPI parts and the aftermarket hopups are a direct fit:)

What did you get the buggy for ??? was it the Ebay special???

$389 plus $50 for the tunnedpipie and then $89 shipping...$530 total.

I paid $550 that for a stock KM..... when I bought mine 8 months ago

Yup, but I got a coupon from ebay for money off my purchase immediately so the buggy and pipe ended up a bit less. I think it was more like under $470.00 with everything shipped at the end.:balloon:

nice read b/better.

on the way down the page (took days to load up btw :lol:) i was looking at the carb and taught you would forget to review it,but u never fail to amaze me.

it is an unusual type of carb though,is it a walbro replica i wonder,i havnt ever seeing one of them.

good stuff,looking forward to hearing how it runs.
nice baja for the $$$

what was the idea of reversing the clutch?

i done the same sanding to my discs although one wheel regardless of what i try seems to have better braking power to the other lol

and what make of an engine is this?
good idea with the mesh around it,lot of work too though i would say.
how did you stick that on?

what was the idea of reversing the clutch?

Better clutch engaugement. If you use a higher rpm spring and reverse the clutch it will grab around the same rpm but much better bite.

i done the same sanding to my discs although one wheel regardless of what i try seems to have better braking power to the other lol

If they are cable breaks its a must to have the highest torque servo you can afford. Tighten the weak side also.

and what make of an engine is this?

King Motors.

good idea with the mesh around it,lot of work too though i would say.
how did you stick that on?

If you go anywhere that has stones or pebbles you will take out your rotor in no time. Expensive mod not to do.

DSC01405.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=JRPSZ9100T
http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-7950TG

There are many if you search your favorite servo manufactures. It depends on what your budget is.

I have a couple of these in my MT but I don't think they are enough for my brakes front or rear. I will eventually swap them out as money allows.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-5645MG

cheers btb
the one i use is that hitek in your link,the metal geared ones.
i think i still need more torque though
them jr servos look imensely powerfull....

so any news on the baja?
do any running with it sinse?
i suppose ter weather is too cold eh.

Hi guys! I'm new here.
Great tear down Bigger the Better! Something I noticed while I was doing a search about the baja clones is that the Rovan baja comes stock with suspensions arms that looks just like the ones from HPI, the middle and center area aren't thinner like the ones from KM,Heres a link http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_detail-0db2-23e06e574b50fc3250debcc71859963b.htm I can't understand anything in that site, but you can see the suspension arms in the pictures.
Sorry for my bad english, cya!

I am working on getting a 23cc and 26cc from Rovansports to sample. Then I will possibly be setting up US distribution for the their baja's. I have been told by a fella down in Australia that the 26CC Rovan he got is killer out of the box…says may be better than his HPI SS in some ways.

If all goes well with my resting and plans then there will be good lovin’ on some stuff. My RTR kits will have the 2.4ghz radio over the FM and an option for no radio. The radio is supposed to be OEM'ed by a name well known to all. Once I have it in hand I will open it and the name brand one up and compare. I am also going to spec a set of road wheels as part of the kit. It will/may also have a “Dominator” like pipe and the body will be clear. I am going to evaluate the pipe and if its worth the extra $30 then it will be part…if not then it will be a stock type.

The full on 26CC kit will be $800 or $770 w/out pipe shipped ground to the lower 48.

This is all provided importing and such does not prove to be more trouble than I want to deal with...

Hey thats a great and thorough write-up. I guess it helps to explain what some have been wondering about the KM vs HPI. Thanks for taking the time and doing this, its always cool to see/read a good write-up.

BtB:

I just read through this and noticed the Carb on the KM is identical to the one I have on my Firehammer MT, the clutch is also "one" with the crankcase on the FHMT.

One question, I like the fact the pull start has a metal pawl. Does that pull start work on a CY? The pull start I have on my FHMT doesn't fit a CY at all. It's off a bit.

BtB:

I just read through this and noticed the Carb on the KM is identical to the one I have on my Firehammer MT, the clutch is also "one" with the crankcase on the FHMT.

One question, I like the fact the pull start has a metal pawl. Does that pull start work on a CY? The pull start I have on my FHMT doesn't fit a CY at all. It's off a bit.

I don't know? I never tried it out on any of my other models. I just took it for granted it was the same.:blush:

KM Baja re-post

Hello everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post. I see allot of people asking about the KM Baja's, Well I bought 1 off of eBay for $499 shipped to my door and I have run 1 gallon of gas thru it and this is what I have had to replace so far: 1st the arm on the throttle servo was cracked right out of the box, I used the steering arm from the servo in my T-Maxx to replace it and the guy I bought it from did send me a new 1, then I tried to start it and the pull start broke, I was able to get it working again till I got a replacement for $30, OK I got it running and it actually runs great, the only thing that’s bad about the engine is the kill switch, it does not have the rubber cover over it and it can get stuck in if its dirty when you shut it off, other then that I have no problems with the engine. after running a couple tanks thru it the throttle servo died, I used the steering servo from my T-maxx to get it running again and ordered another servo for $40 and the lower body panels were broken, they were very brittle and would snap if you bent them and I wore out the rear tires so I replaced them, body panels $17 and rear proline bow tie tires $45, then after another tank or 2 the front tires started tearing at the bead, replaced them for $17 then the roll cage broke $24 to replace that, then the axle boots ripped and the differential tore up so I got a whole new alloy 1 for $80 and axle boots for $7 and fixed that and on the last tank of gas I broke a lower rear a-arm the center of it was hollow, I replaced all rear a-arms for $24. lets hope the second gallon isn't so expensive.
buggy $499
pull start $30
servo $40
side panels $17
tires $62
roll cage $24
differential $80
axle boots $7
a-arms $24
my time $priceless
TOTAL $783
For another $100 or so I could have bought an HPI Baja.
What are your 1st gallon repairs??

for my HPI Baja, i have to think back a while now.

first Gallon repairs. a shock shaft or 2, a steering servo (broken gears and the replacemnts hadn't made it off the slow boat from china yet) a spur gear and i think a front hub was about the majority of it for the first gallon. wasnt too bad really, not when you consider i NEVER drive my RCs like they are RCs

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks