KM Blade Bashers Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Identical to how my old one started out ? stayed like that for just a few weeks
I'm going to take the time to go through everything and try to make sure it's built properly.

I dunno how long the engine will last. I'll tear into it as well and see how it looks, smooth the rough stuff, seal it it right and hope it runs for a few good gallons.

I'm ordering a proper air filter from DDM since I'm going to be running it in very sandy and dusty conditions
20210124_123015.jpg

Wow. I mean, wow!

Turtle Racing makes some seriously nice stuff! The finish of the machined surface, the fit is unbelievable, very nice design. Super happy with the product and honestly, after assembling the transmission I'd have probably paid more than they're charging.

The bearings that came in my KM are not soo nice though...
I started spinning the bearings while I had them out of the stock transmission and they have a good amount of rolling resistance. After getting the TR transmission together (only a medium amount of grease) there is much more resistance to the spinning the assembly than I like. Like, I'm actually kinda concerned here.

Maybe the bearings will "free up" with some run time?

Last edited:
I'm ordering a proper air filter from DDM since I'm going to be running it in very sandy and dusty conditions
View attachment 68817

Wow. I mean, wow!

Turtle Racing makes some seriously nice stuff! The finish of the machined surface, the fit is unbelievable, very nice design. Super happy with the product and honestly, after assembling the transmission I'd have probably paid more than they're charging.

The bearings that came in my KM are not soo nice though...
I started spinning the bearings while I had them out of the stock transmission and they have a good amount of rolling resistance. After getting the TR transmission together (only a medium amount of grease) there is much more resistance to the spinning the assembly than I like. Like, I'm actually kinda concerned here.

Maybe the bearings will "free up" with some run time?
The gears and everything needs to wear in, plus with a greased wet up there will be some resistance till its worked up and the grease thins out a bit. I wouldnt worry too much.

The gears and everything needs to wear in, plus with a greased wet up there will be some resistance till its worked up and the grease thins out a bit. I wouldnt worry too much.

When I dry assembled the transmission I looked at the backlash between the gears and found it to be perfect. The backlash being soo spot on was one of the things that impressed me soo much with the TR transmission. The accuracy of the machining is truly first rate.

There is no "running in" of the gears to be done here. All of the resistance is coming from the sluggish bearings. Well, a little is from the grease but not much. I'm careful not to over grease gears.

I'm hoping the bearings will loosen up with time but it's not ideal. I'm going to run it but when it's time for a rebuild I'll replace them with premium bearings.

When I dry assembled the transmission I looked at the backlash between the gears and found it to be perfect. The backlash being soo spot on was one of the things that impressed me soo much with the TR transmission. The accuracy of the machining is truly first rate.

There is no "running in" of the gears to be done here. All of the resistance is coming from the sluggish bearings. Well, a little is from the grease but not much. I'm careful not to over grease gears.

I'm hoping the bearings will loosen up with time but it's not ideal. I'm going to run it but when it's time for a rebuild I'll replace them with premium bearings.
i had my gears/bearings explode in my tr case :oops: and amazingly it kept it all in side....only just....it deformed the lower bit of the case but nothing major?..

I'm really considering replacing the bearings with premium ones. The case is sealed so well I don't see the need for sealed bearings here and the drag is significant.

This is one place where I can see the value of nice expensive bearings. No doubt the engine will put more power to the wheels if the transmission was more free turning in there.

I'm really considering replacing the bearings with premium ones. The case is sealed so well I don't see the need for sealed bearings here and the drag is significant.

This is one place where I can see the value of nice expensive bearings. No doubt the engine will put more power to the wheels if the transmission was more free turning in there.
long as there rubber sealed bearing then they b fine?.....imo....buying "top shelf " bearings is a waste of $€£....?...unless u race hardcore that is? then u may gain 0.06 a lap with pro bearings ??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks