Leaky Carb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting method should be one to two pulls with the choke on (should hear the engine blip like it tried to start), turn the choke off, then it should start and run. Tell us what your starting procedure is if it is different than above.

What is your altitude there in Idaho? You might need to lean the carb a bit. Factory needle settings are generally for sea level. I live and play at 6800 ft. So, I had to lean mine a little for it to run properly.

Edit to add: As temps increase as spring/summer approaches you might get the engine to start without using the choke at all
I sometimes prime the bulb for fuel. I pull with the choke on general one pull but sometimes two. I did get it to start with the foam off the air filter. I forsure know I had too much oil. Then the engine started to bog. Now I need to re tune back to factory. My elevation is 6200 ft. What setting do you suggest for this altitude?

I can't give you an exact setting. I tune by ear and throttle response. It could be as little as 1/16 to 1/8 closed on the the low speed needle from factory setting. Only make a 1/16 turn at a time. You should notice improved idle note and throttle response. When you blip the throttle while holding on to the bumper, there should be no lag. Adjust until the rig takes right off. Running a little rich on the high side is not a bad thing. Just poor performance. Going too lean on the high side and you will be buying engine parts. I adjust the high side after doing a short full throttle run.

I'm not sure if you have an aftermarket exhaust. If you get one in the future, you'll have to make carb adjustments again.

Did as you suggested the motor did indeed fire up. Glad you mentioned to raise the truck off the ground, motor went WOT for a moment then died. I did pull apart the carb and need to replace gaskets. I have a order of gaskets coming from ddm. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. I also ordered some air filter oil. When applying oil do I add a few drops in a sealed bag and move the foam around? Before I used a can of PJ1 but may have sprayed too much on. Went back to oil droplets.
Sweet, yes small amount in a baggie and rub around, it’s not sunscreen. Outerwear filter does exceptionally with no oil necessary....their on sale today BTW....you can also get those carb gaskets and such at mower shops, just bring in the carb or write down the model number....congrats. It’ll start right up...

I put a brand new losi outwear on but that and a combination of too much oil f**Ked things up. I reset the needles and 7 pulls later is fired up. Didn't bog when taking off or WOT. Might lean it out, but now seems to be running good. I will fire it up again tomorrow. As of right now the air filter outerwears seems to not be working for me.

Sweet, yes small amount in a baggie and rub around, it’s not sunscreen. Outerwear filter does exceptionally with no oil necessary....their on sale today BTW....you can also get those carb gaskets and such at mower shops, just bring in the carb or write down the model number....congrats. It’ll start right up...
Thinking you only need two drops in a bag, that might be too much. Maybe one drop with outerwears.

I didn't, should I? Filter was pre oiled but as an amature I oiled it a bit more, thus screwing everything up.
LOL. I started to suspect that you added oil to an oiled filter. Essentially, it is like running with the choke on. I'd wash it and start over. Don't by any special filter cleaner. Dawn dishwashing detergent is probablly the best and cheapest cleaner to use

2 to 3 would be a good start. I never oiled the OEM filter. I currently use a cap full on my filter but, I am using a DT1 attached to a Crazy Stu's intake. I am using Bel-Ray filter oil, it's some thick and tacky stuff.

What does your air filter and outerwear look like? Check this air filter. Does everything look good?
Well I guess I'll answer my own question.? The outerwear is solid on the front where the filter opening is and it was choking the air. Wouldn't start sometimes and sometimes if it did start and he started running, once the outerwear started getting closer to the filter opening it would choke the air then cut off. Make sure you have the correct outterwear. He thought they were pretty much all the same, but they are not.

Fired up the on the 4th pull. Then after a few runs died. I pulled the filter cover and filter off and after many many pulls started again. I then blotted the filter with towel to eliminate more oil. Now seems to running fine, with more fine tuning.

Interesting for what it’s worth I have 5-6 losi’s and Bajas...all have outerwear sand have only added oil to filter maybe a couple times...filters really do the job...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks