Leaky Carb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes primer bulb is filling up. Yup to resetting factory needles. or order factory gaskets? Being the FNG of RC motors.
It was full in his pic he posted...
So what made it have spark?
I pulled the shroud off and checked the connection with KB kill switch and then turned on battery, and placed spark plug on metal and had great spark.

Do as @Seandonato73 says but if you have fuel and spark and she still won't start then there's no compression and that's a serious problem. So make sure you are getting fuel in the cylinder and nothing is blocking your air filter. I had a guy have a problem starting his Redcat Rampage XB and it turned out he had the wrong outerwear prefilter on his air filter. Put the correct one on and he was all good. Good luck.

I will clean the carb today. When I shut the truck off yesterday I noticed the carb is leaking. The cylinder is getting fuel. Needles are still set at factory. But I will reset them to factory.

Don’t mess with needles at this point, it’s new. As long as you have spark it could be flooded and not drip fuel out the plug hole:)
Carb allows air to mix with gas and spark right, remove carb and simply let it set aside allowing air to go straight into engine intake. Raise car up off ground so you don’t have a run away....pull starter as necessary it’ll take just 1 time prob. The fuel and fumes that remain inside the cylinder will burn off with direct air coming in. After all fuel and fumes burns off itlll die, then check out and replace those gaskets. Do not over tighten those gaskets down. You don’t want to crack the gaskets... reinstall carb with new gaskets if damaged and it’ll new again... that’s how to unflood any 1/5 scale:)

Damn! I'm late to the party again. Lots of good suggestions to check. Like @misterleon suggested, try to make free fixes first. @alpine4 In your OP you mentioned that you oiled the filter. What we think is a light coating is sometimes too much. Remove the air filter and try starting. If it starts, then you found the culprit.

As for the residue on the carb, I see it quite often on weedeaters and leafblowers that are working as they should. Obviously, the primer bulb holds fuel. Underneath the white plastic is the metering diapharm and a gasket sealing up a small reservoir. Fuel remains there after you kill the engine and can leech out. Snugging up the four screws on the top of the carb usually solves this.

The engines are the most reliable part of these rigs imo. Its everything around them that breaks or rattles loose. If you're mechanically minded you will know these engines very well within a month. Don't be afraid to dig in and try stuff. You tube is a fantastic teacher. Just don't listen to Z, he builds engines that don't work.?
And you built no engine so go fek yourself ?

Don’t mess with needles at this point, it’s new. As long as you have spark it could be flooded and not drip fuel out the plug hole:)
Carb allows air to mix with gas and spark right, remove carb and simply let it set aside allowing air to go straight into engine intake. Raise car up off ground so you don’t have a run away....pull starter as necessary it’ll take just 1 time prob. The fuel and fumes that remain inside the cylinder will burn off with direct air coming in. After all fuel and fumes burns off itlll die, then check out and replace those gaskets. Do not over tighten those gaskets down. You don’t want to crack the gaskets... reinstall carb with new gaskets if damaged and it’ll new again... that’s how to unflood any 1/5 scale:)
Did as you suggested the motor did indeed fire up. Glad you mentioned to raise the truck off the ground, motor went WOT for a moment then died. I did pull apart the carb and need to replace gaskets. I have a order of gaskets coming from ddm. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. I also ordered some air filter oil. When applying oil do I add a few drops in a sealed bag and move the foam around? Before I used a can of PJ1 but may have sprayed too much on. Went back to oil droplets.

Alright the carb back together with new gaskets and a new inslolater manifold. I also oiled the foam and then took a paper towel to blot up any remaining oil. Finding little oil is key. Truck is running great, almost better than before. I think the motor was really flooded before I fired it up with no carb attached, then put carb back together and fired right up. Time to go mash again!

Well I went to start it today and I won’t turn over. Am I flooding it? Pulled the carb off and fired it up and she ran till fuel was burnt. Put the carb back on, went fire it up again and nothing. Stopped before I flooded it. What am I doing wrong?
I am getting proper spark. battery is at 3.85 per cell. Wouldn't think that would do it but maybe?

Starting method should be one to two pulls with the choke on (should hear the engine blip like it tried to start), turn the choke off, then it should start and run. Tell us what your starting procedure is if it is different than above.

What is your altitude there in Idaho? You might need to lean the carb a bit. Factory needle settings are generally for sea level. I live and play at 6800 ft. So, I had to lean mine a little for it to run properly.

Edit to add: As temps increase as spring/summer approaches you might get the engine to start without using the choke at all

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks