Lexan polish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickDizzle

Isaiah 41:10
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
Anyone know of a tried and true cleaner/polish that can be used on lexan bodies? Looking to add a nice polish and repellant of dirt for my Raminator body.
The black body is dope, just shows every tiny scratch and speck of dust. I know there is Protoform Protoshine, Meguires Plastx cleaner and Meguires #10 Clear Plastic Polish. Just not sure what is safe for lexan and will give me great results without weakening the lexan and such.

Thoughts?

i've used farecla G10 fine compound or autoglym high def compound on lexan,
had no bad effects that could be seen or any problems with cracking or hazing etc,
just used a 3 inch polishing sponge on a mini air polisher, then autoglym carnauba wax to finish it off (y),

Being in the yacht business for about a dozen years. There are PLENTY of non name brand that works better (but usually come in 10 gallon drums (when I bought them). The Mcguires (spelt wrong, I'm sure) I keep at the house, and use a low speed buffer, using the buffers weight for polishing. Mirror Glaze (by said company) seems to work really good. Use water, light spray bottle of it, dry pad, and go over with finishing "Detail Spray" again by same company.

EDIT: for "detail spray", use a hand wipe only (do not bother with any water/dampness) with a lint free cloth.

Being in the yacht business for about a dozen years. There are PLENTY of non name brand that works better (but usually come in 10 gallon drums (when I bought them). The Mcguires (spelt wrong, I'm sure) I keep at the house, and use a low speed buffer, using the buffers weight for polishing. Mirror Glaze (by said company) seems to work really good. Use water, light spray bottle of it, dry pad, and go over with finishing "Detail Spray" again by same company.

EDIT: for "detail spray", use a hand wipe only (do not bother with any water/dampness) with a lint free cloth.
Thanks @BCRstudio . Very familiar with all the Meguiars products for sure. I use a large variety on my semi-show car. For a pre-show treatment, I use Mirror Glaze #26 high tech yellow carnauba wax. Then I top coat with Mirror Glaze #7 show car glaze. After we cruise to a show, I do a final wipe down with Ultimate Quick Detailer. Just a handful of my Meguiars arsenal lol.

I see that they have this:
#10 Clear Plastic Polish
31InKR35krL._AC_SY1000_.jpg
This is specifically for clear plastic to include motorcycle windscreens and such, which almost guarantees as long as the surface is clean and free of contaminants, no scratches and crazy swirl marks.
@spents I am looking into your suggestions as well tomorrow as its my day off.

That particular polish (I have also), do not use a buffer. Do by hand, for best results.

EDIT: That one also comes in headlight restore kit (same exact one). There is a clear glaze, you can use after that. But make sure any and all carnauba wax is removed before hand. As the clear glaze, is a sealer. To prevent further yellowing, light scratches, etc.. And DOES NOT stick well to wax (inc. but not limited to petroleum products) More of a hardener, for the plastic, as a coating.

Good info...body is bone stock with no chemical treatment yet.
What I have found so far is the #17 cleaner and #10 polish...have not seen the glaze. Oh, I did find a spray polish for in between treatments...but that was it.

meguiars-mirror-glaze-17-10-both-products-19.gif

The glaze, is nothing more than a hardener (it looks like water)
And does not come in a large bottle (unless, you buy in bulk, like at a Yacht refinishing store)
At which point, would be about 32oz. But also, about $100.00+ (U.S. dollars)

For the glaze (water) just get the meguires, headlight restore kit. It is a small bottle, but a little goes a long way.
Let it dry thoroughly, then wipe (again by hand, with SOFT lint free cloth).
Hope that helps.
Those restore kits, would be enough to do about a dozen headlights. And yes, that hardener does work.
The kit is about 30.00 but the glaze, is only about 2 ~3oz in that kit. More than enough for what you need.
If you were doing a 110+ foot yacht window, then buy the bulk. (y)

I emailed Meguires and asked their thoughts and here is what they said. Pretty much on point with our thoughts already:

I appreciate you guys thinking of us when it comes to your RC cars. Our products are designed for different surfaces of a vehicle and would not be able to guarantee the outcome of the product on your RC car. Most of our products are designed for painted surfaces and may not bond as well to alternative surfaces.

If you were to try a product, M10 Clear Plastic Polish, M17 Clear Plastic Cleaner, and M18 Clear Plastic Detailer would be your best option for plastics without a coating. Traditional waxes usually leave a residue on non-painted surfaces, however our Hybrid Ceramic Wax has been designed to leave no residue. There is no guarantee how well it will bond to the lexan, but could be a potential option for protection.

Thank you.

Lmao...last question...which kit? Can you post a pic or link of one your referring too. In hitting the interwebs....there appears to be a few different types offered by Meguiars.
I have one here, will take a pic. (with all contents), and or get the part number off it. Nevermind, I will look at part number now (1 sec.)
OOPS, the kit I have here is the turtle wax, brand. But same deal. (in the kit, it is listed as lens (and or poly) sealer wipe.
I can take a picture of it. But the upc code states, 074660002407
Hope that helps (it is same as meguires kit) As long as the kit has a sealer in it (it is nothing more than a hardener, I am not talking about the "clarifying" liquid. But an actual sealer.
Hybrid Ceramic Wax has been designed to leave no residue. There is no guarantee how well it will bond to the lexan, but could be a potential option for protection.

Thank you.
Pretty much what I stated, DO NOT USE THE carnuba wax, certainly not if you plan on using a clarifier, and or sealer/hardener afterwards.
You could use a small amount of it (assuming it has no abrasives), after the hardener dries for at least 24 hours. Lightly coated, and all hand wiped off & on.

EDIT: otherwise, you would be rubbing the hardener off, defeating the point. Personally, I would not bother with a wax. (on clear lexan)

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks