Long travel kit on rally?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Medium gravel kit shocks, wide fg baja wheels. The thing does great on mild jumps and bumps, corners way better than the HPI Baja. but I crave the big air that my friends get with the HPI Baja.

My idea is to buy the long proline MCD inner and outer shock towers, The long shock bodies and shafts and some springs and adjust roll bars acordingly. Then maybe a Race Runner body? Will this work?

I have made my own gearplate that encloses the clutch, nice to have access to a CNC mill. And recently modded a FG DDM Torqe pipe as a side pipe. Its a continual work in progress.

Attachments

• MCDRALLY8.jpg
    MCDRALLY8.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 38
  • MCDRALLY7.jpg
    MCDRALLY7.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 30
Prehn, I have been using my Rally car off road recently and it's great fun...

I have only installed medium travel shocks at the front and kept the short travel ones at the back. With the rally gravel tyres there is a reasonable amount of ground clearance and the car is amazing over the jumps at my local motocross track.

rally5.jpg

rally3.jpg

I have tried the set-up you are proposing - I converted an early Pre Evo Race Runner to a Rally car. There was far more ground clearance but the handling was dissappointing with the extra travel and soft suspension. I recall that the extra suspension travel with the smaller tyres/wheels alters the geometry too much.

Clive

do you need to change the suspension or would the rally tires be enough for mild off road? I am getting a redcat rally and plan on doing some off road with mine on a mellow track chasing bajas around.

are the mcd rims squares like fg?

do you need to change the suspension or would the rally tires be enough for mild off road? I am getting a redcat rally and plan on doing some off road with mine on a mellow track chasing bajas around.

are the mcd rims squares like fg?

The squares are the same as fg etc but the offset is different to a stock fg wheel/rim. I can't guarantee that they will work on the Redcat without modification.

However, the MCD Rally gravel tyres are slightly taller (140mm against 130mm for the on road ones) and even without raising the suspension they provide a reasonable amount of ground clearance for driving off road.

There are a couple of things I would recommend you do - make dirt/mud deflectors for the front tyres (keeps most of the dirt, stones, grass etc away from the engine and electrics) and sideguards for the bodyshell (similar to the carbon fibre ones found on FG Evos etc).

Clive

sounds good. I know what you mean about the side guards. I have a set on my car. semi needs them.

I don't think an undertray would be that hard to come up with. I wouldn't be beating on it. have to get a set of the gravel tires and see. be running on a mellow track just for fun. high speed drifting. oh ya.

I have raced the Rally car on road for over 18 months but it's simply not as enjoyable as bashing it off road.

The only thing I broke using it off road was a plastic shock fork and that was a result of a high speed landing off one of the jumps at the motocross track.

The tyres don't provide the same traction as a conventional off road tyre but that means it's great for drifting especially on very short grass or dirt.

A few more photos of it at the local 1/8th track -

rally1t.jpg

rally4.jpg

Clive

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks