Look to get in 1/5 on-road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iNewton

Hi,

I already own a pretty well built Baja 5B SS, and my club also has on-road racing for 1/5 class.

I live in Canada and getting hands on a FG is complicated, I would like to know if the price difference is worth it between an EVO and Sportline models?

What about 4wd? I know the Evo is Rwd only, my Baja is RWD also, I, m used to driving it but is it harder to control a onroad rwd?

Money is not really an issue, but if only top 2% of drivers can use the benifits of an evo vs sportline I don't want to spend twice the amount if its not worth it.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
the evo has its benifits, however if your just starting out with onroad racing a sportsline is more than enough car for club racing. being mostly plastic suspension its a lot more forgiving, and if you do break something its not quite as costly to repair. as for 2wd vs 4wd, see what your local track runs, they may not have a 4wd class.

there are a couple things you may want to change on the sportsline down the road, the 2 big ones on my list are switching to hydraulic brakes and an adjustable differential. those both make a huge difference in the way the car performs on a track. aside from that, tires is the biggest thing.

The FG models have some really nice body shells. I like both the sportline & EVO models.
The MCD Rally cars are also very nice, I owned one of them, so I know more about them than the FG's when it comes to driving.
On road is a ton of fun, as long as you have others to drive with.
A decked out FG EVO 14 is hard to beat.

fg's are great cars I would love a newer evo and if I could have the choice between a sportsline or a evo then a evo would win depending on budget of course

mines a pre evo comp spec car fully loaded up with hydros carbon and power its great fun I wouldn't change a thing

4wd fg's look good but I think being 4wd takes some of the fun away at least for me it does taming 2wd is part of the appeal with the sportsline you will end up spending a ton of money making it like a evo as most including me have

the evo has the lot out of the box all alloy and carbon with a better diff and layout than the plastic sportsline its all down to your budget mate both great cars and you will have fun with either one which its all about

Thanks for all the replies, I'm trying to find where to buy an Evo in Canada. Not an easy task.

chances are if you find one it'll be a several year old car thats sitting on a shelf that they still want top dollar for.

check out rc-car-online.de, they arent canadian, they are in germany, however ive shipped stuff from them several times with no issues. will likely be your best bet for a new evo. you can also check out fgsupply.com, they are in the states.

Don't underestimate the 4wd onroad Sportline:D Don't forget that 1/8 scale onroad was 2 wheel drive mostly until the 4wd car was introduced and prove superior to the 2wd. The Sportline 4wd car is a entry level car it should not be able to compete against a EVO which is a 1/5 scale race car but I have seen a race between Sportline vs Evo the Sportline kept up with the Evo out performing it in the turns. If FG was to make a race ready Sportline 4wd lookout !! :lol::lol:

Last edited:
4wd vs evo? I read everywhere the evo is faster than the rest with good pilot skill. Surely the 4wd must be easier to drive for most people who lack proper race line and throttle control? I will try my luck with evo and see :)

All hobbies seem to be expensive but in my opinion the purpose of a hobby is to have fun. The more you race the more you tinker on your car the better racer you will become and the more fun you should have doing it. And when it stops being fun it is time to get out of it.

Congrats on your purchase of the EVO. Looks like you are headed in the right direction with the 4 channel radio and killer bee switch.

Look into for the following,
Servos - Hitec or Savox (7.4V compatible, just check your receiver is capable of handling the 7.4V)
RX battery - Killer RC lLipo pack.
FG Setup System or Hudy 1/8 scale off-road setup system with truggy toe in guage.
Assorted tire shores
Spare air filters

So I will be able to compare directly, I have also got me a sportsline 4wd 510 Porsche GT3 RSR, I should receive both my Evo and the Sportsline around July 7th. Guys who sells me the Sportsline includes a crapload of spares and upgrades. The Sportsline is used, but never been run or even painted. Its practicaly brand new in box. Also has a 2 speed tranny not installed.

My plan is the upgrade the sportsline as close as possible to the evo and have two competition ready cars with different wheelbase and one 2wd and a 4wd.

So I will be able to compare directly, I have also got me a sportsline 4wd 510 Porsche GT3 RSR, I should receive both my Evo and the Sportsline around July 7th. Guys who sells me the Sportsline includes a crapload of spares and upgrades. The Sportsline is used, but never been run or even painted. Its practicaly brand new in box. Also has a 2 speed tranny not installed.

My plan is the upgrade the sportsline as close as possible to the evo and have two competition ready cars with different wheelbase and one 2wd and a 4wd.

It would be nice to see and hear your comparison of the two cars. Will you be doing an Evo build thread or better yet an Evo 12 build thread and an 4wd build thread with all competition level upgrades.

It would be nice to see and hear your comparison of the two cars. Will you be doing an Evo build thread or better yet an Evo 12 build thread and an 4wd build thread with all competition level upgrades.

Will probably do a build thread for the evo 12 yes. The Sportsline I will run stock this year and probably upgrade it during winter (im in Montreal Canada, so winter is RC downtime for us here ;-))

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks