Losi 5T Radio Tray Fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bang876

Bought my 5T 2.0 early in the month and on my third outing the radio tray started smoking and all my wires started burning. The culprit seem to be the wires for the front light. I don’t know how it started but all my wires toasted and I’m hoping I can still salvage the servos and receiver. The battery wire also got burned up and I had to cut it off just to stop the burning. I used the recommend Dynamite Reaction 5200mah 2s. Have any of you guys encounter this issue and what’s the best remedy so it doesn’t happen again? I’m just a little annoyed that considering the price the quality didn’t even withstand three runs, and the first two was breaking it in! I’ve tried contact horizon and no response at all. Included my pictures and proof of purchase.
**UPDATE**
Horizon Hobby customer service was amazing! Once I was able to get in touch they send out a new throttle and steering servos, new RX, and even sent out another battery. Pretty much everything was was damage got replaced. Really grateful for them standing by their products! Easily save me $400 in parts!

Attachments

• A15CEB51-A02A-497E-8CEE-98EB032BEE6A.jpeg
    A15CEB51-A02A-497E-8CEE-98EB032BEE6A.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 35
  • A9F6E6D5-513C-4413-8632-D97D367E99EA.jpeg
    A9F6E6D5-513C-4413-8632-D97D367E99EA.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 09D355CB-1360-4A00-BCA1-23B2A4EECB52.jpeg
    09D355CB-1360-4A00-BCA1-23B2A4EECB52.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
that sucks big time dude,
tbh i'd say more likely a bad battery that shorted out, or a bad on off switch that shorted and not the light

Are you running a kill switch?
that sucks big time dude,
tbh i'd say more likely a bad battery that shorted out, or a bad on off switch that shorted and not the light
That’s what I’m leaning more towards bc as I look more into it. It seems the fire started from the battery connection and it spread out to all the wires since they are zipped tied together and link to esc.
Are you running a kill switch?
No

Ok. How long were you running it and did you charge the battery before that run? I'm leaning towards you over discharged battery. This is a big reason you should have a kill switch. They kill the motor when it reaches a certain low voltage. Not 100% saying this was your issue but GET A KILL SWITCH.

I think he means the rx.

I'm so lost...I see the gas tank in your pics. But your saying the esc cought fire. Is it an electric conversion?
Sorry I meant receiver. The radio tray started burning and it culprit maybe the battery or start switch.
Ok. How long were you running it and did you charge the battery before that run? I'm leaning towards you over discharged battery. This is a big reason you should have a kill switch. They kill the motor when it reaches a certain low voltage. Not 100% saying this was your issue but GET A KILL SWITCH.

I think he means the rx.
Yep I fully charged it before going out. I say half a tank at most.

Then a bad battery or connector. That's def a freak accident you had.
Yep that’s what looking.
+1 horizon sucks with email
yeah I’ve notice they totally suck with email response. I’m honestly just going to fix this myself. Going get a new switch from hobbytown and just solder new connectors and wires for the servos and battery. Still going to hit horizon up but I want my car up running ASAP.

To be honest everything electrical gets directed to the reciever and then the reciever sends the power out. Unless the heat started with one wire and spread to the others in the loom id be cautious with fixing and trying again with the same reciever

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks