Losi LMT Roller, motor options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickDizzle

Isaiah 41:10
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
Ok ok...not large scale and not brap ..its an E-word rig I know. But I wanted a grab and go bash rig. So I swooped up a Losi LMT roller on sale to build a nice grab and go basher.
On to my questions...anyone running one and what motor ESC combo you running?
I am looking at grabbing a Castle Mamba Monster X with a Castle 1515 (2200kv) motor. Really a good set up for a 1/8 rig, but can handle 3s-6s. I am not a huge knowledge buff on kv and brushless set ups. Not sure if it will be under powered running 3s lipos. Trying to find a good balance of speed and torque. Any thoughts?
I know everyone always wants pics...so here are a couple...lol!
20220424_132857.jpg

20220424_133034.jpg

I've been debating on getting one of these as they are pretty darn cool
The RTR model I think is good for 4s and they have tons of power
that castle system should work good in it

Run the Castle 2200kv combo on 4S, it will have enough power on 3S, but too slow

Kv is the RPM per volt, Losi is recommending a 3150kv motor on 3S, which is a smaller 1/10 size motor. That Castle combo is 1/8 as you mentioned, and will deliver more power with less heat

So number crunching time......

2200kv on 4S will be roughly 35k rpm
3150kv on 3S will be roughly 37k rpm
The 2200kv on 3S will only be 26k rpm

A bit more rpm on the smaller 3150 motor, but more power and less heat from the 2200kv motor

Thank you @gavsta72 ! I was trying to figure out the math formula for it. I knew there was one.
I am just trying to decide of I should just go the cheaper route and grab the stock 130amp ESC and that Firma Spektrum 3150 on 3s or drop the cash and go w the 1/8th Castle set up on 4s.

Hmm decisions....
I've been debating on getting one of these as they are pretty darn cool
The RTR model I think is good for 4s and they have tons of power
that castle system should work good in it
Watch for Horizon Hobby to have sales! I got the roller for $140 off with their "spring sale". 😎

Thank you @gavsta72 ! I was trying to figure out the math formula for it. I knew there was one.
I am just trying to decide of I should just go the cheaper route and grab the stock 130amp ESC and that Firma Spektrum 3150 on 3s or drop the cash and go w the 1/8th Castle set up on 4s.

Hmm decisions....

Watch for Horizon Hobby to have sales! I got the roller for $140 off with their "spring sale". 😎
No problem

I would highly recommend a true 1/8 scale combo tbh, no worries about heat or power, and If you want to save some money, then go with the Hobbywing Max8 2200kv combo. Personally that's what i would go with anyway, reliable, simple plug n play, and comes with a program card. With the Castle combo you will need to get the CastleLink programmer also, so the Hobbywing is pretty much 100 bucks less

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ss-esc-motor-combo-2200kv-hwa38010400/p713299

I ended up going with what would be considered the stock LMT motor and esc. The Firma 130amp ESC and the Spektrum 3150 motor. I am running the truck on 2s and only freestyle runs. No speed runs. Just tons of jumps and freestyle. For the killer deal I got and after the research I did for my needs of freestyle on 2s, this set up has worked flawlessly. Temps on my motor never even get above 130° with what I am doing and the ESC I have only seen hit 118°

Attach0(2).jpg

20220731_164314.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks