Losi MTXL ..Your opinions count!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voo2doo

In Memoriam
PLUS member
I'm looking into a Losi MT XL and have no clue of what they are like.A few people on here ,especially the older members know I have owned near every large scale thats worth owning but I have never seen one of these trucks in the flesh.
So, have any of you folk have or had one , i'd like a good honest opinion of these as you can't always beleive everything you hear on youtube.
Gracias.
J.

I have MTXL wheels, on my X-Maxx, does that count? !!!

You like it? GET IT!!
I think it's great - got to have a proper motor, not be a milk float of course.

Drawback?
That body - does for MT likeability what the Ssangyong Rodius did for MPV popularity!!
Al.

I have noticed on another forum that getting spares for these things in the UK are a nightmare.Its probably ok in the USA but Horizon is still going well over there.
J

Yeah, check Botajell, but the guy is a little off in his thoughts. Goes into this brushless I hate them forever rants that make no sense.

Other day he posted on YT about two paragraphs on how the brushless movement is taking over the RC world and gas rc is not as famous as before. He was referring to those who had electrics as girlish, and not having the "bal_z" to handle the power of gas engines and so on. I was like dude, what the heck is going on...
What was that for, he went on another rant saying all the money he had spent in RC, and that he will do all he can to keep the rc gas movement alive and on and on...

// It was too much, LOLz

I own the MTXL and it is a blast. Things to get with the truck.

1. A better radio system that allows for precise control of settings like steering balance etc. The steering on it as standard is poop. It has the turning radius of an 18 wheeler until you get a radio where you can set a narrower radius. I got a used Ko-Propo which has turned out to be one of the best investments I ever did in my RC hobby.

2. This https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-DBL4801-Aluminum-Steering/dp/B014Z2ARJW The one in the truck WILL break. I find it laughable that they give you aluminium horns for the dual servoes and brags that its because of all teh power from the servoes (which they have, 60kg or so of it) and then they turn around and connect those fine alu servo horns to this poopy little piece of BS plastic. I bet the designer of this bit have to wear a special helmet indoor.

3. 100.000acu silicone for the front and back diff and 500.000 for the center diff.

I have seen few trucks who will take as crazy abuse as this truck though. Other than these few items and a few smaller peves the truck is fantastic. It is heavy and brutal, yet with a better radio it is surprisingly nimble. It will do crazy airs and put up with practically any terrain and condition you throw at it.

Botajell is a great guy. He has some pet peve against electric cars which is his to enjoy. I don't care because for gas/nitro people his information is high quality and he is always willing to take time out of his day to help anyone who asks. Not just on youtube but via his private email too.
He has had almost all the 5 scale that has been out and he thinks the MTXL is the best bashing 5 scale ever made. I have not tried or owned but a fraction of those and I am also sold hook line and sinker once these issues mentioned have been fixed.

The thing is, the control issue may just come down to personal taste and preference. Botajell runs the truck with the default radio system and have no problems with its kinks. I on the other hand, cannot stand them.

Also I don't see this as a monster truck. Not many RC's that call themselves so really are. The MTXL is a new class. Closer related to a truggy than a monstertruck.

Finally. Prepare for a shock. These trucks are fiddlesticking HUGE!!! Videos do them no justice. I had only seen them on videos and when my own (almost couldnt) get through the door I was gobsmacked. It is enormous. more like 4 scale.

Last edited:
Ha d agood look at some of these on Youtube and have got to get myself one....excellent bit of kit.All thats the problem is there is now no Horizon hobbies in the UK where I am based so all spares will have to come from the USA which is a female dog because we get hammered with extortionate import taxes.
J

Love the Losi MTXL! When its running. Had mine for about a month now. I don't think its ready to go out of the box. They should have a Warning disclaimer that some additional upgrades are necessary before running!

The first necessity is a Kill switch! I choose to go with the Killer RC kill switch. This truck retails for $1200. The last thing you want is for it to be barreling down a road and you lose signal and the truck just keeps on going into people, buildings, cement wall, ect. Its like a $67 insurance policy. Must add before running it in my opinion.

Here is a video I did to help explain about the switch.

Thanks for the advice Wildman and I do agree with you , every RC with a gas powered engine weather it be a glow or petrol should have a killswitch installed.
I have been a mod on here for quite a bit now and owner roughly 14 large scale cars so I know a little bit about killswitches;)
Thanks for posting the vid.
J

I fitted the pipe Losi made together with Bartolone for the DBXL and it does fit, but you have to extend it slightly to get the exhaust all the way out of the body.

If you have a good radio a killswitch is not mandatory. If you keep the radio that came with the truck, it absolutely is. I don't understand why this is not standard in all 1:5 scale vehicles. It should be. If my reciver lose contact to the transmitter it nails the brakes.

If you have a good radio a killswitch is not mandatory. If you keep the radio that came with the truck, it absolutely is. I don't understand why this is not standard in all 1:5 scale vehicles. It should be. If my reciver lose contact to the transmitter it nails the brakes.

I disagree on that one....
Kill switch should be mandatory if you are using a cheap or the most expensive radio.....it shuts the engine off..which translates into...no moving 35+lbs $1000+ rc vehicle running away from you with wot hitting someone or something.
The fail safe on your radio is good but not enough for these 1/5 scale cars. There could be a glitch...or throttle/brake servo could fry on wot....or battery could get disconnected somehow....no brakes then....what do you do? Hope nothing bad happens?
At least with the kill switch if there's a glitch or loss of battery or loss of signal or whatever, the engine shuts off. No runaways. IMO it should be the FIRST upgrade you do to your vehicle...even before you break the engine in. Why chance having a runaway and doing serious damage to someone or something? Accidents can and will happen..have the capability to SHUT YOU ENGINE DOWN.
The Dynamite kill switch is like $30-$40 bucks...Killer Bee/Super bee is around $50-$60. Spend the money for the kill switch.

Here is a good video of a runaway 5th scale rc....no kill switch installed. Luckily no one was hurt. (if you don't wanna sit through the whole thing fast forward to around 4mins)

aaaaand this the explanation of why the failsafe didnt work.

Sorry to hijack your thread voo2doo...back on topic now.

Jetpro, Bartolone and Victory all make pipes specifically for the MTXL.
Link to DDM is below.
http://www.davesmotors.com/Search-Page/?search=mtxl pipe

For that I have a very simple and cheap backup. It is called "a spring and a rubber band". It cost a buck and will pull the arm back manually if power is lost or servos malfunction. Unfortunately me and other bashers here do not have very good experiences with killswitches, regardless of price. All sorts of gremlin issues from the engine stopping at random, refusing to start, refusing to stop etc. So I am just more of a fan of the radio method tbh. But I do recognize that when they work, they can get people out of jam just as good as a proper radio a spring and a rubber band.

Last edited:
Yes Whoduh , I have had a runaway when I first bought a large-scale and it was unbelievably lucky I didn't hit something.I dodged three people,two cars and came to a rest when I hit a tree.It was one of the most scary times I have had with an RC car.I didn't have a clue what I was doing with kill switches and was running an AM radio....recipe for disaster.
J

For that I have a very simple and cheap backup. It is called "a spring and a rubber band". It cost a buck and will pull the arm back manually if power is lost or servos malfunction. Unfortunately me and other bashers here do not have very good experiences with killswitches, regardless of price. All sorts of gremlin issues from the engine stopping at random, refusing to start, refusing to stop etc. So I am just more of a fan of the radio method tbh. But I do recognize that when they work, they can get people out of jam just as good as a proper radio a spring and a rubber band.

I have to see this method. Do you have any pictures?
J

Whoduh! I totally agree. I did see that video before and it was a big contributing factor to me installing my kill switch.

I mean $30-$65 insurance policy. Yes please! Not sure why they don't come standard with all 5th scales? Must have upgrade.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks