MCD Shock Absorber Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim McNasty

Hello there, I'm now to this forum so please be nice!

Im kinda new to the 1/5th scene, Ive had my Race Runner Evo 3 for about 9 months now and i'm utterly and hopelessly hooked!
Ive been slowly teaching myself how to service the beast myself and so far no major disasters.

one issue that is bugging the hell outta me is my shocks keep leaking, Ive replaced the air seals twice now and fully inspected the shocks for damage.
Almost immediately after i re-fill them, oil is present at the top where the rose joint meets the alloy top. After a few driving sessions, the springs and surrounding components are covered in oil.
Its not one or two either, its all four are leaking.
How can i fix this permanently?

I have devised a rather crude solution by making my own would be gaskets out of duct tape. i simply cut a length of duct tape, fold it over on itself, place the alloy washer from the top of the shocks and cut around it leaving about half an inch of space. Stuff that in the top and reassemble.
It does work for a while but obviously I'd like a more permanent fix!

Any help would be great!!

J

Best advice would be to ring Stevo ar Ross mods and ask him. Are you aware that there is a new track round your neck of the woods if you ever fancy racing?

Have a look at team5hite.com for more details, that where all the uk club and national racing info is.

Im currently in the process of getting my driving licence so i can get involved with racing, so yes i do fancy racing :D lol

Thanks for the tip, I'll give him a ring.
I may just end up replacing all 4 shocks but at nearly 60 quid each, its an expense i'd like to avoid if possible!!

Ahhhh, I never though of that lol
Ive tried joining 3 or 4 times now and just got nothing back, i use this name for everything to aid my failing memory, i never thought it might cause offense to the mods.
I shall try again now, thanks Trebor :D

I'll take some snaps of my RR and put them up so you guys can have a gander.
I bought it second hand of the guy in my local model shop, i "think" it was the Evo 3 Sport....so no alloy niceness :(
So Ive been buying bits here and there to beef it up a little!

Thanks for your input guys, i cant tell you how nice it is to have people to talk too about this as none of my friends are into rc :(

J

Ironically, Ive had the name Jim_McNasty on the internet for at least 10 years now as my name is in fact Jim and adding the Mcnasty part seemed rather funny.
Now that pervert has ruined my fun and now I have to change all my forum ID's to avoid being labeled a Saville fancier/supporter or just making light of a horrible event.

Damn you Saville!!!!

Do knock Sir Jimmy, the poor sod isn't around to defend himself. All these so called victims should have come forward at the time if anything had gone on, he would have been man enough to stand up to the charges.
So what if he was sh466ing tarts in a caravan outside the BBC, there is no law against it provided they were over the required age and tossers jumping on the band wagon should have a look at their own lives and see if they can or have done as much good for others as Sir Jimmy did.

Rant over!

Hahaha, I feel your pain, however there is an awful lot of evidence mounting up againt him.
Its horrible and disgusting blah blah blah......I just don't want to hear about it 24/7, what are they gonna do about it now anyway?!
Theres much more important things going on in the world than that.
Im getting anoyed with other forums I post on coz of my name......its not a dig at Saville!!!

My rant over :D

Jim, welcome to the forum.

I have asked one of the mods on the mcdrc forum to sort out your registration, if you don't get anywhere post here or send me a PM and I will chase them up.

Please can you post a photo of your shocks and I'm sure we can come up with a solution that will prevent or reduce the leaks to a minium.... I wouldn't purchase any new shocks, the Elcon ones have been used as alternatives but they are silly money. I have a large selection of new and used spares for the MCD shocks and in most case I will give the used parts away for nothing.

Clive

ah there you go "Jimbo":lol::lol:

what Harry says goes:detective:

i do actually have a spare set of brand new elcon shocks,with balloon springs:w00t:

K....

Give me a PM Trebor and let me know how much your looking to get for the new shocks :D

I'll up some pics a little later but there are already some up on MDCRC if anyone's interested

Thank you guys, i really appreciate it

J

Give me a PM Trebor and let me know how much your looking to get for the new shocks :D

I'll up some pics a little later but there are already some up on MDCRC if anyone's interested

Thank you guys, i really appreciate it

J

Jimbo my new Elcon shocks, i think will be to expensive;)

i know your on a tight budget and needing a couple of tools

if you cannot make them then check out these;)

don't forget LSF has a 5% discount from here

as long as you keep your purchase to £18 you will not pay VAT and no £8

handling fee .....postage is only around £4

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4093/.f

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl?c=885035&sc=12&category=&search=ca18x - Piston Stopper Tool

K....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks