Melted Spur Gear Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csp1971

I know this has been discussed into the ground (over at hpibajaforum and a little bit here), but I need some sort of additional reassurance....

I run a Baja with everything stock (except for an X-Can). Today, I melted a spur gear.

Any reason why this would happen? I am only on my 6th tank through this thing. I run with the gear cover on.

I was running through 2-3 inch tall grass and jumping a few feet in the air (onto grass). Could the taller grass overheat the clutch/pinion to cause the spur to melt? I'm guessing that was it because it was running like a bat out of hell until the last jump.

One more question, should I just replace the plastic spur with the Robinson steel spur gear?

I am going to replace the plastic carrier with the billet clutch bell carrier sometime this winter, the clutch bell with the turtle steel clutch bell, and the turtle billet diff saver. Anything else I should look at getting besides a pinion heatsink? I'm not looking for more speed from this thing, I love the way it runs as is.

Here's some additional info with pics. I decided to put a new spur on, should I get this much movement in the crankshaft?

Normal (or at least I think it is):

baja2.jpg

when I push the pinion out:

baja1.jpg

Bearings are there (I can see the rear bearing). I could NOT get that damn pinion bolt out to save my life. I used a torch to heat it up for a few seconds. No luck. I don't have the extra spur gear any longer that they suggest in the instructions so I guess I'll need to order some parts...dangit. The clutch shoes are perfect and everything there is fine.

fwiw, i toasted spur number 2 and 3 last weekend in the sand pit.

it was quite rough and alot of bouncing while on throatle. so everytime the assend would plant itself in teh soft sand and hook up the spur went.

had 3 total gone for a day of bashing between 3 of us

I'm thinking about those RR steel spur and pinion. How do you think that those will do with a stock 23 and X-Can? People over on HBF seem to really like them.

lol. i ve been thinking about a stock steel RR spur, but i know once i do that instead of a 6.00 spur i ll be replaceing the 23.00 driveshafts.

for the moment im gonna order 3 more stock spurs.

really though, i don't think 3 spur gears in 16 months is bad at all.

I didn't think about that. Maybe I'll stick to the stock spur for a bit longer. I'll be running less in the winter. 3 in 16 months is nothing. That's a little more than 1 dollar per month! :)

Well an update: I bought a couple extra spur gears and a new heavy duty 18t pinion. Took off the old pinion and put on the new. The slop that was there is now gone. I wonder if that other was never gripping the clutch bell all the way? I guess I'll never know. Anyway, slop gone, and going out for probably my last run of the year. Expecting my new son any day now so my time is running out! Sad about the limited Baja time, but excited about the new baby (the only thing in the world that smells better than a new baja!, I know, that's a bold statement). :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks