More probs! :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

Hi guys

bought a new large alloy engine mount for my FG monster as my old one the bolt had snapped inside the hole (as you can see in pic)

the new one came, fitted it (or tried to!) but when i went to fix the brace plate the hole in the engine mount is about 5mm off, i know it don't sound alot, but ive moved my engine as far back as possible due to the mesh with the diff gear so cant move it back no more, ive also made the hole bigger in the brace plate but its still off by about 2-3mm

As you can see in pics the hole is clearly not center as it should be, i contacted the seller & sent pics but replied by saying hes compared it to an original FG mount he has & the hole is in same place (which is not true), so i quickly googled a few images which ive posted below, the hole should 100% be in the center..

the seller did say i can return it which im going to, but i need a large mount asap! i don't have a tap & dye set or i would have just tried to fix my old one :(

Anyone that knows about the engine brace on FG's know that theres VERY little room for error when fitting it, 2-3mm is all it takes to completely knock the gear mesh out, as it is with this engine mount, i cant even get the bolt to go in properly, if i tried to screw the bolt in, it would end up going in on a n angle probably stripping the thread! :(

new mount on the left & my old mount on right with snapped bolt inside! doh:
mount.jpg

& heres a pic off the net clearly showing hole in middle even on the original FG mount:
z-fg06486.jpg

Now im thinking should i ask for a refund or replacement?

If i get a refund should i buy a tap & dye set instead? what i don't wanna do is buy & tap & dye set to try fix my old one only to bodge it up more as ive never used one before & i don't wanna be left in the same position if i do bodge it up, which will mean im going to have to spend more money on a new mount! :( ?

That new mount def looks like a machining error, bolt whole is completely of centre, as for the broken one you may cause some damage to the mount getting it out, if you have a steady hand you maybe safe, ideally you need a left hand drill bit so as you drill into the bolt it may start to wind out, if that doesn't work gettin a whole in the bolt and get a set of easy outs, there a bit like a left Hand drill bit but with a bigger pitch so digs in to the hole and you should be able to extract it that way?

Hi,

If you want to send me the old mount I can have a go at getting out if you like as I have tap and die sets.
But I may have to drill it out to next size up and re-tap ... can't remember if it 4mm at the moment, so will have to go up to 5mm.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to try...

Dave

Hi,

If you want to send me the old mount I can have a go at getting out if you like as I have tap and die sets.
But I may have to drill it out to next size up and re-tap ... can't remember if it 4mm at the moment, so will have to go up to 5mm.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to try...

Dave

i was going to suggest the same, to me :p or maybe a stainless helicoil

to get back to the original size thread as i have sets from 3mm to 16mm

K....

i was going to suggest the same, to me :p or maybe a stainless helicoil

to get back to the original size thread as i have sets from 3mm to 16mm

K....

I wouldnt let you near it Keith. For a start you don't have the gear for it......what would you do hold it in a pair of mole grips and drill it out with your wobbly B&M Bargains drill, you would end up with an M10 into the bearing housing :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Only joking of course :lol::lol:

Can't see the photos - 'company policy' settings are fathing with my laptop.
Jumping to conclusions, but is it the correct mount? Not a 4WD mount?
Just with you saying the hole's out of line.
Al.

The 4wd mount is completely different how it braces. Just a bad batch maybe.

where was the part manufactured...china?
I recently tried some Chinese front hubs for the marder. they fit well, and seem well machined. except the brakes don't fit. mounting face was wrong dimension, amended after attacking it with a file however the mounting holes are 1-2mm offset such that the standard FG caliper needed to be spaced off the mount and a spacer was needed between inside brake pad and the actuator lobe.
ultimately went with FG plastics until I win some second hand FG or similar known brand alloys.

JP

I wouldnt let you near it Keith. For a start you don't have the gear for it......what would you do hold it in a pair of mole grips and drill it out with your wobbly B&M Bargains drill, you would end up with an M10 into the bearing housing :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Only joking of course :lol::lol:

HA HA Andy you must have seen me set up then :lol::lol::lol:

K....

easiest way to remove the screw is use a dremel and a small metal cutting disc to grind a slot in the top of the busted bit..it'll cut a tad into the alloy but no biggie, then once a quality small screwdriver fits snugly heat the alloy with a plumbers torch and said screw will come out...also helps to to wack the top of the screwdriver before undoing to give it a shock

Hey guys :)

Cheers for help, as jpblue says, its defo a machinong error as the hole is a few mm off, a friend on another forum is sorting it for me tho, guess hes gunna drill out old bolt then tap n die next size up, the seller of the new mount has agreed to give me a refund so its all good, and thanks for the offer to sort it for me guys, much appreciated :)

Hey man if u want I can send u mine cause I am building an e conversion so I don't need it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks