Motul 510 or 710?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperera

Has anyone used MOTUL 510 or 710 in their gasser?

I am considering buying one of these but not sure which one. Bike shop tells me the 510 is a blend of synthetic and mineral and the 710 is fully synthetic.

Both are with out ester.

Any advise or recomendations?

i'd go with the full synthetic. i run castrol full synthetic for 2 stroke motors and it's worked great for the past couple of years.

Just make sure you keep the 25:1 ratio and you'll be fine.

Chris

Yes stick with the 25:1 ratio. You can't go wrong with that. The boat guys use 16:1 but i always used 25:1 in my cars without any issues.

Chris

Thanks thats what I will do.

Have you seen the FG DVD that comes with the kits?

It says to use 125ml to 5l of fuel and they reckon thats a 25:1 ratio.

Strange they made such a basic mistake.

Oh well.

200ml per 5l is correct for 25:1.

5000ml of fuel / 25 ratio = 200ml of oil
5000ml of fuel / 32 ratio = 156ml of oil
5000ml of fuel / 40 ratio = 125ml of oil

All 2 stroke applications will differ. If you have run at 40:1 just switch to 25:1. You will be ok from 25:1 TO 30:1 In my opinion.

I run all mine at 25:1.:cool2:

Agree. I think most of our engine will handle 40:1 but this may cause a little excess wear/heat. It may give you slightly more power, and I mean slightly but in the interest of long service life and keeping it cool stick to 25:1 :)

I believe its because of the oil they recomend.

Been doing a bit of digging on this and another forum advises they the panolin oil you can use a 40:1 mix. this is the brand of oil FG recomend but I haven't seen any here in Australia.

Allot of people seem to run 25:1 in these things and they seem to run for a long time so thats what I will stick to I think.

I'm certain there's been a post on the subject somewhere, but has anybody established just what can be gained, by leaning off the oil in the mixture?

It's a given that adding oil certainly permits additional lubrication, thus longevity. But just what is being lost?

Personally, I'm new to 'large scale petrol', but not to nitro. I'm using Castrol fully synthetic 2-stroke oil, as it appeared the best available when I popped into Halfords.
I was told 32:1 by the previous owner, who mentioned the FG 40:1, but best steering clear of that, to save the engine. 32:1 is what I've maintained, but I haven't run it that much. Perhaps 1 gallon so far.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks