My Alloy Beast - FG Baja RWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did my first strip down with a mate of the best. if I thought the stock version was easy to pull apart this elcon beast is a walk in the park! had it apart in no time, love the one peice front and rear ends, cant go wrong!

get some pics up shortly.

Had a run on sat at local bash spot, didnt see a large rock half submerged in the ground, hit it at full WOT and cartweel it pretty bad. only pulled a bolt out of front hub, got another one in there, don't know how these bolt re-thread back into the plastic hub but it did :D

ok uploaded some pics of my rebuild. didnt do it for any reason in particular, just to see how it all comes together and give it a quick clean in the process.

Rebuild1Small.jpg

Rebuild2Small.jpg

Rebuild3Small.jpg

Rebuild4Small.jpg

had a strange problem with the best over the long weekend. early on into my first tank while running on sand the FG stopped moving, kept revving but seemed to be getting no drive to the rear tires.

upon closer inspection the clutch bell spun, which in turn spun the pinion and the spur but thats where it ended.

so I turned it off and ran the slash for about twenty, thought I would try the beast again and then ran a trouble free tank back in the sand. ???

can clutch shoes overheat? its got me stumped. after this weekend ill be pulling the diff out and sending it away to get rebuilt so that should address any diff related problems.

Sounds like you spun out the grubs on the layshaft gear. I make sure to grind the grub flat and use red locktight on the layshaft gear. Its a pain when that one goes loose.

Had a good run with the beast on sat at carrum, didnt end up breaking anything which is always nice.

Had a wicked series of cartwheels early on though, going up the big sandhill, on way down hit a bump and threw it into a carrtwheel at full WOT. Cartwheeled all the way down the hill and kept going for a while, reckon there was at least ten rolls in it LOL. Also managed a head on with greg but the customer front bumper did its job.

Removed the diff yesterday, which turned into a bit of a mission thanks to some rounded allen key bolts but the diffs now on its way to CFR to be rebuilt.

Now I have two FG's out of action :(

WOOHOO finally received my new fuataba R603FS receiver.

only bought one, so going to try it out in the beast first and if happy will get another one for the 4WD.

had the 3PKS for so long now can finally give it a try!

woohoo, got my diff today, looking brand new.

ive removed the elcon diff brake disc off it as it never worked anyway. looks like im going to have to run without brakes until i can afford a pair of front discs for the beast.

also in the process of organising a kill switch for the best, going to do the 4wd with a kill switch at a later date.

DiffSmall.jpg

spent some time working on the best last night. worked for about 3 hours and felt that I got absolutley no where

had some play in the layshaft for a while and thought I would address this before I fit the new diff and get everything back on the chassis.

trying to get the old gear off the layshaft was a mission but got there in the end. tried to get it back on but couldnt, had to remove half the mounting off the engine and then a bearing got stuf on layshaft, so i cracked the sh*ts and went to bed.

going to have another crack tonight, i hate this bloody layshaft!

spent another 3 hours on the beast last night, decided to take the clutch bell off while I had the engine out and much to my surprise one of the clutch shoes was down to nothing! I haven't even done 8 tanks in it yet! Got those shoes off craig and I think they are CY ones, had a brand new pair of zen shoes that I put in.

filled the diff with air tool oil, installed it back onto the elcon engine carrier and got the engin and diff back onto the chassis. just need to finish off the rear suspension, fuel lines and throttle linkages and its all done! also installed the futaba receiver into the beast so ill finally be able to try out the 3PKS!

WornClutchShoesSmall.jpg

spent more time on the beast last night. its all fully back together now, rebuilt diff, new clutch shoes and now with the futaba rx and tx ready to go! hope its no raining tommorow, really itching to try it out.

no wimping out here mate :lol:

took it out on sat, usual spot was very wet but I had a run anyway. rebuilt diff is working awesome and the Futaba feels worlds better than the spekky, awesome range!

lasted about twenty mins before I tore a foam out of the rear tyre, didnt have my spare on me so had to call it a day :(

ok so the crowd wanted more pics, so i got more pics.

decided to document how easy it is to do a clutch/carrier change on an all elcon FG Baja.

First remove both LH rims.

Clutch1Small.jpg

Next remove side plate (4 screws)

Clutch2Small.jpg

Next remove 3 bolts shown below that hold clutch bell and pinion gear in place. there is no need to remove pinion or spur gear to do this. I jammed a screw driver in there to hold the gear carrier in place, 3 bolts removed.

Clutch3Small.jpg

Next photo shows gear carrier and clutch bell removed, once the 3 bolts above are removed this carrier, bell and gear will come out in one peice. EASY! Next is to remove the clutch shoes, just remove the two bolts shown below.

Clutch4Small.jpg

When clutch shoes are removed i use two long bolts (don't know the bolt specs sorry) tighten these in by hand until both hit the motor, then just nip on bolt at a time tighter until the carrier pops off the tapered end of the crankshaft. there are special tools to do this but two of the right bolts does the job every time.

Clutch5Small.jpg

thats as far as I got before I realised I need a sunken bolt for the new clutch carrier.

So will contunue the ah tutorial (i guess) when I get my hand on the write bolts.

stay tuned :D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks