My Baja rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope I got tools to do that....lol

Its not broken but very badly bruised and I'm struggling to move it at all..
In future I need to check there is no cracks in my chisels as when I hit it it split and the hammer changed direction into my left hand:(

Ouch!! Sometimes a break heals quicker than a bad bruise. Hope it doesn't affect your work bud.

Its eased alot but still very sore...luckily I'm only building a small house so most of the heavy work can be done by my mate who labours for me..

It is certainly effecting my R/C running...not been near it ....

lmao... it cant go anywhere even if I wanted it too. still not had chance to refit the layshaft gear...

sooner this hand is better the sooner I get to break it again....:lol::lol::lol:

ROFLMAO knowing me it could be either...but preferably not my hand..

You don't notice how much you take it for granted until you cant use it correctly..

I have been struggling to pick up nails and screws:(..but it is getting better and the bruising and swelling has gone down so hopefully by the weekend it will be good enough for a blast with the baja...if I can repair it beforehand.

ROFLMAO knowing me it could be either...but preferably not my hand..

You don't notice how much you take it for granted until you cant use it correctly..

I have been struggling to pick up nails and screws:(..but it is getting better and the bruising and swelling has gone down so hopefully by the weekend it will be good enough for a blast with the baja...if I can repair it beforehand.

Ive got the weekend off so hopefully will get out for an hr Sat afternoon. My mate & his missus are coming round on Sat nite & we usually end up pissed as farts so Sunday will probably be a right off :rolleyes:

Ive got the weekend off so hopefully will get out for an hr Sat afternoon. My mate & his missus are coming round on Sat nite & we usually end up pissed as farts so Sunday will probably be a right off :rolleyes:

Did you get a chance to run it at the weekend???

Well its time for drastic action on my baja..3 times now I have refitted my layshaft gear and it has come lose within minutes of taking it out for a blast.

new grub screws have been fitted with blue loctite and left for a few days to cure.

My layshaft is looking rather ruff and chewed up so I think thats my problem
time to fire up the lathe and make a new one as I'm skint again just now...

thats a better option than what I was about to do earlier....weld the gear to the shaft...lol at least it wouldnt have come loose....:w00t:

I had the car out for a blast yesterday afternoon and the gear stayed on this time....I ground the layshaft flat again and 2 new grub screws with plenty of blue loctite...I then left it for about 10 days before getting back to rebuilding it...

seems to have worked for now...but I did melt the hose coupling on the exhaust:mad: (luckily I found a spare)

I still haven't got a full tank through this car yet without anything breaking...

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Well I have decided to strip the car down again and do another rebuild on it....getting fed up with not getting a good run out of it...

I have got myself an alloy diff and a set of ball drive shafts as my normal dog bones have some serious wear to them and the cups
also got myself another alloy hub so I can have an identical pair up front instead of 2 completely different hubs..

it should be worth while stripping and cleaning it...the grass is wrapped everywhere so I want all of that removed...

I don't really see many parts needing replaced this time as I know all was good and if its ever broken it has been repaired correctly..lol (no wood screws)

Parts I know I will have to order are
new silicone coupling for exhaust
couple of plastic rod ends..
new cable brake cables

and I'm sure I have got a few other bits ready and waiting to be fitted

Pics Will follow on as I get it stripped down..

got my hands on a large pot and boiled up my baja rear wheel with a knackered square and peeled the tyre clean off it...grabbed the spare wheel with ripped tyre and boiled that too....looking good and I now have a good tyre mounted on a good wheel...

Wayhey 4 baja wheels and tyres...........:w00t::w00t::w00t:

stripped and fitted new alloy hub so I now have a pair with the same geometry
also fitted elcon front upper plate and shock tower...looks good..

pulled off the brake cables and found both to be very sticky...so decided to chop up a mountain bike cable and make it fit instead of spending £20+ on new cables..5 mins on the lathe and they now fit the calipers correctly..
got to make a new block for the other end of the cables to pull against.

stripped and cleaned out the brake discs and pads too.. its amazing where the grass gets jammed into...

rear end is getting a few mods too..got an alloy diff to fit along with ball drive drive shafts...

still got to order up a new coupling for the exhaust and all should be good....

Been at the car again today and got the front adjusted as I would like..

heat shrunk the new cable brakes for that little bit more support and they fit nicely...still got to make the brake block for the other end..
IMAG0676.jpg

happy with the front shock tower..looks alot better than the original plastic front towers..cheap bling ...:lol::lol: and the brake cables are now alot more protected hiding behind the bumper and under the tower...
IMAG0677.jpg

Well that's the rear end stripped out ready for the new diff and ball drives..:w00t::w00t::w00t:

the old diff is chewed to hell 3 of the 4 diff gear screws have come loose and fallen out..

the new diff is an alloy one so its been packed with grease and blue loctite has been put all over..:rolleyes:

Its amazing the amount of grass that gets stuck under the engine even though it was cleaned out straight after the run.(its a good handfull )

I'm waiting on some alloy arriving so I can make a few small bits and get my brakes finished and working properly.

also I'm not happy with the front suspension as it now feels like it is binding :mad:
I will get that stripped out and checked again

I had a few hours in the workshop today and got the rear end stripped out and rebuilt

SANY0574.jpg

almost back together....with new alloy diff and mounts also running ball drives now..

SANY0577.jpg

Its back together now and looking good..all thats required to do now is make up a new block for the brake cables..

SANY0578.jpg

It is almost 100% alloy now..Only the servo saver and the rear half of the roll cage is plastic.Oh and the front bumper....:lol:

cheers Andy

its all down to trawling ebay and picking off the bargains...

ball drives
alloy diff
alloy diff mounts
elcon shock tower and upper plate

lucky if they all cost £50 together
No way I was paying much more for them...

Almost got enough bits to put another together too..
I only need front bulkheads/gear plate and rear arms..
so there might be a second car to annoy me in the near future

cheers Andy

its all down to trawling ebay and picking off the bargains...

ball drives
alloy diff
alloy diff mounts
elcon shock tower and upper plate

lucky if they all cost £50 together
No way I was paying much more for them...

Almost got enough bits to put another together too..
I only need front bulkheads/gear plate and rear arms..
so there might be a second car to annoy me in the near future

Sounds like a plan! I wouldnt mind turning 1 of mine into a MT - love the look of them so I might do some ebaying in the new yr :D

thats what I have been thinking too...I like the look of the MT's

sorted out my workshop and now got a R/C toolbox all tidy

SANY0582.jpg

Hopefully I will have a few more ebay bargains coming my way and save me few quid for the new project..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks