My Fifth-scale backyard track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

20190704_154142.jpg
For the past few months, I've been working on my fifth-scale rc backyard track. The photograph shows a section of it. It is more or less an oval with an infield section.

It's a grass and dirt track that I use to practice fast oval-runs and technical cornering. I have no rc friends to race with here in the US state of Georgia, but driving hard on this track as I explore better racing lines is challenging enough and exciting enough as a solo act. It's a lot of fun if you have no one else to run with. Building your own track is also a fulfilling exercise in itself.

I used a weedwhacker to outline the track, and a lawnmower set at its lowest to get the grassy parts as low as possible. Knowing that in time the outline will soon be overgrown with grass, I will be using a spray bottle with white vinegar and go over the entire track outline. The vinegar kills the grass.

PEACE!

View attachment 52168
For the past few months, I've been working on my fifth-scale rc backyard track. The photograph shows a section of it. It is more or less an oval with an infield section.

It's a grass and dirt track that I use to practice fast oval-runs and technical cornering. I have no rc friends to race with here in the US state of Georgia, but driving hard on this track as I explore better racing lines is challenging enough and exciting enough as a solo act. It's a lot of fun if you have no one else to run with. Building your own track is also a fulfilling exercise in itself.

I used a weedwhacker to outline the track, and a lawnmower set at its lowest to get the grassy parts as low as possible. Knowing that in time the outline will soon be overgrown with grass, I will be using a spray bottle with white vinegar and go over the entire track outline. The vinegar kills the grass.

PEACE!
Nice!

Nice work bro. I feel your pain. Wish I had a track like that. Need a lil more dirt.

I lost friends when i switched to 5th scale gas RCs and sold off my electric 10th scale RCs. I didnt know it was that serious that i would lose friends over switching from electric to gas. LOL!!! Either way i feel your pain. Needless to say thats not gonna stop the kid. Ive always enjoyed the hobby and will continue to regardless.

Keep up the good work!!!

Nice work bro. I feel your pain. Wish I had a track like that. Need a lil more dirt.

I lost friends when i switched to 5th scale gas RCs and sold off my electric 10th scale RCs. I didnt know it was that serious that i would lose friends over switching from electric to gas. LOL!!! Either way i feel your pain. Needless to say thats not gonna stop the kid. Ive always enjoyed the hobby and will continue to regardless.

Keep up the good work!!!
Thank you, Bro.

Thats awesome ! I wish i had a wife that would let me convert my backyard into a 1/5 track ! Not going to happen ,?
What can I say, 'Polar'? My wife thinks it's less stressful for her that my obsession is over the rc hobby and not 'outside' women. Lol. Like that, whatever I do with my 'toys' is quite okay with her. Guess, in that respect, I'm a lucky SOB. ??

Just don't ley her know about that Bobcat rental!......:p
Lol. No Bobcat in the mix. My track tools are a lawn mower, a weedwhacker, a trusted spade, and tons of physical work in the sun. At age 67 and a writer, I use the constant track prep as exercise. It's a total win-win for me.

A Bobcat would have been apt had I opted for a dirt track with jumps. My backyard track however is flat. I'm not into jumps. I'm actually an on-road man who has to settle for off-road; and the next best option for an on-roader with no on-road track is to buy a rally car like what I have and build a grass and dirt flat track. PEACE!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks