New car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boo Hoo!

We got the money out for the car today and ordered a new set of tyres for it then got it insured.Just before we went down to get it I done a quick reg check on the plate and guess what????? YIP....it came up as a right-off!!!:cursing::cursing::cursing:
The first thing I asked the woman who was selling it was "Has it been crashed,stolen or written off" and she said no.
Good jod I checked or I could have been driving around in a death trap now.
Oh,well,plenty more fish(Beemers) in the sea.
J.

yea my bro, just got a cat,c golf gti on a 06 plate, it had been stolen and used on false plates, a snip at £5600, but it is on the insurance write off list, not bad tho,, its a ten grand car.

James, what category of write off is it?
PERHAPS it was one of those you see on the Disco Channel - category whatever, ahich means YOU CAN REPAIR IT and it is safe to drive?

Just a thought?
Al.
Yes mate,it was a CAT D,but I wouldnt have my missus driving round in a write off thats had £11000.00 worth of work done to it.Plus,it was also the money they wanted for it.
I'm meeting her tomorrow for my deposit back and I'll offer her 2K for it.
J.

Cat D is minor stuff usually glass, panel damage, hood, interior etc. Anything structural would be a Cat C or above. Its a good bargaining tool though mate.

maybe so but when you come to sell it you will have this trouble all over again theres hundreds of those bmws look for a mint one walk away unless you not botherd about it or going to keep it for years its not a bad car as long as its been fixed 100% but its alway going to have that its a cat d thing atatched to it and some if not most will turn around and walk away

If its a £30k car and cat d then you will be in for trouble trying to sell it on but a £3k car shouldnt be too bad. Times are hard and people are always on the look out for a bargain & if that means buying a cat d bmw that has been repaired to a high standard then £3k is worth a punt rather than £5-6k for a straight 1. It is all about the history and quality of the repairs. You will find most that have been done at a reputable centre will have photographic evidence of the damage and at stages through the repair work. Obviously if the panel gaps are all over the place then its a shoddy repair & walk away. Also if this 1 has had £11k of repairs, the damage must have been done when it was almost new so it has probably been running as a cat d for the last 10yrs. It wouldnt put me off........JMO :clown:

A car will not fail an MOT for poorly fitted body panels, orange peel & mismatched paint jobs, dodgy interior trims, broken soft top mechs etc. So again mate it would depend on the quality of the repairs. There should be an insurance report in the history if there is nothing to hide!! Having said that, if the repairs are good, the last 5yrs history is the most important as it gives you an idea of the cars condition now rather than when it was new. By this I mean you will know whether timing belts have been done, service intervals etc. If in doubt get it checked out by a garage / AA / RAC etc.
Cat d's can be a bargain if you buy right. The other way to do it is buy 1 and repair it yourself then you know what you are dealing with & it will be even more of a bargain!! I would buy the right Cat d :badair:

That's some scary poop huh...

I've always gone over every car i have bought with a fine tooth comb.....

Especially after my brother bought a flat tray ute that had new chassis rails stuck on with pop rivets ( i'm not joking )...

Needless to say it went VERY bad in an accident.....he ended up with a broken back,,both legs broken,,right arm broken,,nose broken & fractured skull.....

All that from a 60 kmh impact.......

When he bought it ..the ute looked mint..

You can't be too careful.......after all.......what is your life worth???

True words Ross.I have decided not to go with the BM's now as the ones we looked at are shite.
The car in the vid looked good but as said, once in an impact it was a death trap.
So,I'm going to see another one of my favourites tonight....Focus ST170.
I've had one before and traded it in for a Mitsubishi L200,worst thing I have ever done.After about a week I wanted the ST back!
The one I had was in Magnum grey three door but I really wanted a five door(kids,easy to get in) in Imperial blue and guess what came up?
Thats just a catalogue picture because the ad in fleebay has the blokes phone number on it and I don't want to paste that over the net.
J.

Last edited:
Good to see you finally coming to your senses and giving the hairdressers' car a miss..:p

You would never have lived down the pointing and obscene shouts.

:lol::lol::lol: Yeah,your right Barce, I just got back from a seven hour journey!
But it was well worth it!:clap::clap::clap:Jane drove down and drove the ST back,she was made up.I drove for the last two mile and ,Jeeze,that car is planted!
Its absolutely immaculate:eek:mg: All the bills to go with it,service history,the works. I'll put a few pics up tomorrow.
J.

voo that's some nice footage there got me thinking to , i was planing to get myself a car that had bean in a small accident side impact,
You can get them here pretty darn cheap , i was thinking of fixing it up at my mates body shop but after watching that video got me thinking again i think i will just go the safe way and pay that little more extra and buy a car with all the history then i will be sure to have a safe car.
Glad you got yourself sorted i will just have to look a bit harder, take my time.
Looking forward to seeing what you bought.

To save a few bob mate it could cost you your life! I'm not saying all bashed cars are unsalvageable but I'd go with the original ones.
J.

True words Ross.I have decided not to go with the BM's now as the ones we looked at are shite.
The car in the vid looked good but as said, once in an impact it was a death trap.
So,I'm going to see another one of my favourites tonight....Focus ST170.
I've had one before and traded it in for a Mitsubishi L200,worst thing I have ever done.After about a week I wanted the ST back!
The one I had was in Magnum grey three door but I really wanted a five door(kids,easy to get in) in Imperial blue and guess what came up?
Thats just a catalogue picture because the ad in fleebay has the blokes phone number on it and I don't want to paste that over the net.
J.

hmmmmmmmm james my ST is performance blue :detective:

James, for cripes sake, WE KNOW KEITH BY NOW.
It will be polished, after polished, engine bay all chromed, COVERED in his 10-car man cave with laser security ... and covered with a dust cover, in a dehumidifed storage bag, ON A SHELF, and in a glass cage ... :laugh::laugh::eek:mg::cursing::eek:mg::laugh::laugh:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks