New carbon bits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monotheist

Received my 2.5mm sheet of carbon from Ebay the other day so I knocked this piece up today before I go off on holidays for a few days.

As others have told me the dust is nasty stuff but other than that it is quite easy to work with. This was made from a dremal using only a cut-off wheel and sanding drum. If the other few pieces come out as intended then it is a cheap upgrade as the carbon sheet was only about $40US.

IMG_1592.jpg

Did some more work today and is now pretty much finished. Im quite happy with the way these pieces turned out seeing this is my first time working with carbon fiber. Didn't bother weighing it as the stock plastic pieces it replaced were already pretty light so don't think it made any difference but structurally it is much stiffer and in my opinion looks much better than all that plastic. Still have a bit less than half a sheet to play with so might make a front shock tower next.

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

BTW the the sheet was purchased from graphite-girl on Ebay.

wow factor to the max >>>>>>>>>>

wholly Mollllyyyy.
That looks like some good cnc work there mate.

It will ad a very special touch to the truck for SURE.

I will have to make one for the baja as well.

This is a nice xmas gift to self.
Congrats Mate...

wholly Mollllyyyy.
That looks like some good cnc work there mate.

It will ad a very special touch to the truck for SURE.

I will have to make one for the baja as well.

This is a nice xmas gift to self.
Congrats Mate...

he used a freaking Dremel and sander !!
absolutely brilliant work , it looks cleaner then i can do on a mill for christ sake ..lol ..

Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yap !!! He is the man .
How long did it take you mate and what was in that empty glass to keep you going on such a tedious project ??
Can you get those sheets anytime ??
I have some grinding to do in the new year !!!!

Happy new year to all the Aussi guys keep up the good development on MCD.

We wish to have a following like you guys in Canada but that might change .

Regards

Looks like a very nice job to me!!!
I once read somewhere to run a bead of glue along the edges of the CF to prevent splittin and such...tryin to 'member where i read that....
and wouldnt it be nice to be playin in alll that nice warm weather!!!

Thanks guys but I have no intention of making any more of these as although they came out alright there is far to much blood sweat and tears to go through the process over again :laugh:

It was 42 degrees C in the garage when I knocked out the brake brace! Luckily the good wife took pity on me and returned from the shop with a supply of fine German ale to help keep me cool. Got to use my 1 liter beer mug so after few of those lets just say I was in no mood to continue any longer...

My intention of this post was not to show-off but rather hopefully show people what can be done with minimal tools and a bit of effort. As we all know the after market scene for MCD's is virtually non existent and what is around is unreasonably priced in my opinion. With any luck one day carbon manufacturers such as OFF or Vertigo will jump on board and offer these products to the masses.

Just waiting on Chickenlips to make up some alloy transmission braces and i will be set HINT HINT...lol.

you said vertigo :blink: :scared: :lol:

Yeah and I feel all dirty now. Better go rinse my mouth out with some soap hey :clown:

I had the Vertigo front shock tower on my HPI Baja and was very happy with it. Outfrontframes also make some killer products as well but at the end of the day, personal issues aside I think both make some very nice after market products for 1/5 scalers.

yep I agree - he is an utter tool (or should I say asshat :clown:) but his products are decent. I had a VP front tower but ended up getting a full ramtech front end complete so the VP one sits around now, but I have his axle extenders and clutch bell carrier

Heres a few more pic's of it all finished. Decided to make a new radio box lid so that I could mount my battery on top rather than the front shock tower which was its former location. The two connectors you see protruding are for the battery and engine kill switch.

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks