New HPI 5SC LED setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigfla

Well I decided to light up my HPI 5SC finally. I used all KillerRC components including their 6 LED light mounts. I drilled those onto my rear bumper but even with the guide sticker I was off slightly. In any case I got them on but highly recommend drilling a small pilot hole first. It may help you keep a straighter hole than mine. I had to buy a Rovan front bumper with pods to replace my 5SC stock bumper. Mounting was very simple and installing the LED's into the pods was also straightforward. KillerRC sets fit perfectly into the pod as long as they are centered correctly using the guide hole to line up with the relief in the pod face and the LED housing. I could have fit everything into my stock radio box but I went ahead for simplicity and ordered the extended box lid as well. its much easier to fish your bare wires into whatever hole you use to enter the box before you install your futaba connectors. In the future I have ordered a new box and will probably drill and grommet new entry holes and reinstall my Killer Bee LED and buzzer. One thing about the extended box is the lack of plug for charging the battery pack. If you go this route it might be helpful while installing to fish a new charging wire outside the box.

Also went 4 Channel Futaba on both trucks. I installed new LED pods on the Loose rear bumper that fit very nicely and no drilling or glue needed. This truck has an older KillerRC Kontroller v2 so i am missing a couple of flasher modes.

Always wanted lights, even purchased some years ago. Never installed them though. Electrics is my least favorite part of rc, or in anything, I hate it. Had some bad experiences with getting shocked, perhaps thats why?‍♂️?‍♂️

Always wanted lights, even purchased some years ago. Never installed them though. Electrics is my least favorite part of rc, or in anything, I hate it. Had some bad experiences with getting shocked, perhaps thats why?‍♂️?‍♂️
I used to be that way. Years ago I had a breaker that refused to trip. Damn near burned down a house. I'm much more comfortable now. I also have to play with power on the daily. It's no big deal in the end

Back on topic...I've always liked the idea of lights on rc's I've just never found it practical. I personally would never be out at night with a 2 stroke 1/5 lights or not.

I installed a Killer RC Lipo in the Baja today along with my new battery box from eBay. I cleaned up my wiring a bit but kinda kicked myself when it occurred to me that I could have rigged a nice quick disconnect for my lights by using a couple of flush fit Futaba charging plugs on the extended battery box lid. There is plenty of room on the front of the lid to mount 2 flush fit plugs. You can use a splitter outside the box to wire 4 headlights. When you need to remove the box just unplug the lights and lift the box. I could probably do the same thing in the rear of the box for tail lights. One thing you need to do for extra clearance is file down the little nubs inside the box that would normally frame the receiver. It’s the same mod you would make if you were using the standard battery lid. I am using them in my Losi but realized they would work in the HPI just as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks