new pipe - rusty!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

hi guys, ive used my pipe about 3 times then i swapped it over while i test a different pipe, its been sat on shelf for about 2 months, now that i have a new tuned engine i decided to fit this pie again, but i noticed the outside of it has rust as its a raw finnish, whats best way to treat it, i hope its not damaged!? it just looks like dust but its defo rust in certian places, any ideas best way to treat/protecT? if i decide to keep this pipe i will probably paint it black with heat resistant paint.

Yea you should be coating it after every run with wd-40 or something similar. Post a pic of the pipe so we can see how bad it is, it most likely will need to be wire wheeled. I did happen across a video for something called evapo-rust and it's purpose is exactly for your situation... moving forward if you choose to keep it raw you must coat it every run.

Here's mine that's about a year old, no rust and I coat every run..
20230805_221005.jpg

I live in North Queensland Australia, extremely humid climate, every bolt on my MCD has gone rusty, all drive shaft & Axel's to, ,,
You should be able to sand your pipe with a random orbital sander, 120 ,150,180 girt will work, lighter grit if not rusty, if it's bad, start with 120 grit, then use 180, I just painted my 35 tune pipe from Taylor rc

hi guys,

heres cpl of pics, pipe was stored in my room in my house so always room temp, when i run my finger over the rusted areas its smooth and rust rubs off kind of so its not really deep?

Going forward im not going to keep it raw, i made another post regarding spraying/painting it black etc with high temp paint so hopuflly this will resolve the issue!20231231_123346.jpg20231231_123352.jpg

Cheers!

I would give it a good sand with 180 grit, use a small random orbital sander, where the little plate is welded on, see if you can dribble a little rust converter under it

IMO any type of oil should work. In the past I have used various "gun oil" like Break Free CLP only because I used to get some from work. Then I started to use some home made gun oil my old boss swears by. I made a gallon of that stuff. After 15 years or so, I think I used less than a Red Bull can of that stuff.

Customers of ours who run boats in salt water use silicone spray. Had a pipe sent back in for me to change and it looked like new still. He told me after he is done running he makes sure it is dry and than wipes it down with silicone spray. Does this every time out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks