New to me Grizzly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rody

Hi everyone. I just picked up a new (to me) Grizzly, that I suspect has a broken differential, from what was described to me. I was looking around and saw that an alloy diff case was recommended, along with a steel pinion, and alloy motor mounts. Does anyone know where I may be able to pick any of these things up?

I've seen that Hobby People carries stuff for the XTM, and that Tower has stuff for the Firehammer, but most of that is the stock stuff, and I know DDM and Largescalerc has stuff for the FG, but I'm not sure what FG stuff fits yet. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm looking forward to getting the Grizzly up and running.

I would definitely go with the FG8484 (use LSF code at DDM for extra 5% off):

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.2163/.f

Here's the steel pinion:

http://innovativehobby.com/firehammer19toothsteelpiniongearbycat5mfg.aspx

As for the alloy motor mount, I would send an e-mail to powerslideracing and make sure it'll fit the XTM Grizzly/Firehammer MT. Even though these guys are in Australia, you get your shipment quick:

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=57_3

Last edited:
CSP, thanks for the links. I just ordered the pinion, and dif case. I'll have to find out about the motor mount. Thanks again.

Yay, I just got the truck in the mail today. It looks in decent shape, although the diff gear looks like it's starting to wear. I haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet. It took me about half an hour to clean all the packing peanuts from all the crevices. It looks like it's going to be a fun truck.

Yay, I just got the truck in the mail today. It looks in decent shape, although the diff gear looks like it's starting to wear. I haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet. It took me about half an hour to clean all the packing peanuts from all the crevices. It looks like it's going to be a fun truck.

I think you'll enjoy it. Parts are cheap to replace and it's a pretty quick rc.

Post a pic sometime!

Python Motorsports has the SS sleeve for the diff that is a wise investment.
I have a grizzy and put many Firehammer parts on it.

FG diff like the link above will work but $$ . I have the aftermarket Firehammer in mine with Python SS sleeve.
Good luck with the shocks they are not very good. I think I am going Elcon next with my shocks.
I am running FG gears without a problem.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Firehammer 001.jpg
    Firehammer 001.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 25
I just got the FG case in the mail yesterday. I'm waiting for the diff gear, and the layshaft gear, before I tear it apart and install. I may have to get a set of new inner diff gears, depending on what they look like when I pull it apart. Pity about the Python sleeve, I would have added that, but I can't find it either. It looked pretty sturdy.

Sprint, nice looking truck. What the scoop on the shocks? Why aren't they good? Shafts bend easily? Leaky? Speaking of shocks, what kind and weight oil do you use. Can I use silicon oil, or do I need to use petroleum based like on my Baja? I'm mostly going to be bashing on dirt, with an occasional run on the street, so I'll probably want my suspension relatively soft.

The shocks on the Firehammer/Grizzly are leaky as hell. I've rebuilt mine several times only to end up with the same leaky shocks as before.

I'm using silicone diff fluid in mine.....3k I believe.

Short of buying some different shocks, is there anything that can be done to fix the shocks?

Are the Elcon shocks a good replacement? Which ones are the ones to get?

I think the stock shocks are pretty much crap all around. I had tried to fit up some LST shocks but to no avail.

I believe Slawhammer is using FG shocks, but I'm not sure how much better those are, they would have to be a bit better.

As for Elcon shocks, I'm not sure. They make awesome stuff though.

CSP..I am still using FG shocks...They are better than the firehammer by far..
you need stiffer coil springs...I did try the cross shocks all alloy...The main problem I see with shocks are..the rc unit is very heavy for these small shocks...the shocks take a pounding from use....In my opinion ..you need stronger springs to assist in dampning effect.....For my self by using stronger springs..I have had very little oil leak from the shocks......Just my opinion ....Slawhammer

Slawhammer, if you're using stiffer springs, how does your truck handle in the dirt? Isn't it a little too stiff? What weight fluid are you using? Has anyone tried using shock limiters? I have them on my Baja, and have had no problems with my shocks leaking.

OK, I got a couple of parts, and I was able to install them, and give the truck a short test run. Wow! This thing is quick. It's much faster than my Baja, probably because of the bigger engine. It seems like it's going to be a fun truck. I had a big grin while I was running it for that short time.

I still have a few things I need to do. When I tore it apart to install the diffs, I noticed the mesh was off, which is probably why the gear was wearing. The guy who had it before me probably never adjusted it. No matter, because I got new gears anyway along with the FG diff.

I'm also going to install some new electronics that I have, and it needs a new rx battery. I'm on the lookout for some alloy motor mounts, so if anyone knows where I can get them, please post. Then I'll have to sticker and trim the body that came with it. But it's almost done and ready to play with.

Hey Rody. It's a great truck. I really like my Firehammer MT.

As for the alloy motor mounts, there are a couple of options:

Ordering from Hobbythek in Germany. It has a lot of parts for Carson/Comanche/Grizzly/FHMT options. The shipping runs about 40 bucks though (i'm not sure where you are located, I'm guessing the U.S.).

http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/ls...ile.carson_tuning_alu.hinterachse.2wd_or,.htm

Powerslideracing in Australia is a great place to order too:

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_3&products_id=1027

The conversion would be about 55 usd (shipping would probably be around 15).

I would email that part and find out if it for sure fits the FHMT or the Grizzly. The mounts on the Firehammer vs the Firehammer MT are different.

OK, so I've added a few things, and adjusted everything, now I have an issue and a half. My first issue is that the motor seems to be dieing out on me at low rpms, when I brake after the engine's run a bit.

The half issue I have, which may relate to the problem I'm having above is there is a lot of white smoke coming from the engine, when I'm running it. When I run my Baja, I don't get anywhere near that amount of smoke. Any idea's? Thanks to everyone for their help.

You may be a bit rich. Check your spark and if its black move your L screw in a 1/16th. Move it little by little until dialed in. Turn your idle screw in just a tad until its idling too high then you can back out the idle screw. If the idle screw is not set correctly you will cut the motor out when you brake.;)

Thanks BTB. I think it was my needle settings that were off. I pulled my plug, and it was all wet. I cleared the engine of gas. Then went back to stock settings. Then I checked my plug to see if there was a spark coming from it. I then regapped it, installed. And it fired up. After I warmed the engine a bit, I leaned the low speed a bit, just until the idle sounded a bit better. It seemed to run better after that. I'll still have to adjust the high speed later, when I can find a place to open it up. Thanks again for the tip.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks