New to me Grizzly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be watching the plug, and my gear mesh, until my alloy motor mounts come in.

I just got back from playing with the Grizzly, and my Baja 5b. What a great day! After working on them for a while, and rainy days, I hadn't really got to play with my rc's much. Well today was a nice, clear day, so I went to my usual bashing spot, and had a great time. The Grizz seems much faster than my Baja, although I love my Baja for different reasons. I'm guessing it's because of the larger motor, but it's so fast it's almost scary. It looks like I'll have to try the 5K/7K diff oil in the shocks, because it's a bit too bouncy for me as it is.

I destroyed the body that came with the Grizz (I don't think it was a stock one), so I'll have to pick up a new one. Are the Firehammer bodies fairly durable? The one I got seemed like it cracked with each hit, and while thicker than the lexan bodies I'm used to, it seemed more brittle. But I don't want to spend 70 bucks on a body, and then have it die on me the first time the truck rolls.

So, currently I have a Jetpro pipe, alloy diff cage, Outerwears pullstart cover, a rear cover to protect the diff, and a hitec steering servo. Coming in the mail (hopefully soon), are alloy motor mounts, and a remote kill switch. The truck is fast enough, so I really don't need any speed goodies, so I'm looking for durability upgrades. I was looking at the Duratrax aluminum rear hubs, and steering knuckles. Are these any good? The stock plastic steering knuckles seem pretty flimsy. I was also thinking of picking up the Outerwears crankcase cover. I destroyed the flywheel in my Baja, and got a cover for it, which helped. Do rocks find there way in the Grizzly crankcase frequently? I mainly run on dirt with lots of little pebbles. Any other upgrade suggestions? I really like this truck, and want to keep it running for a long time, so any hints and tips are appreciated. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I'll be watching the plug, and my gear mesh, until my alloy motor mounts come in.

I just got back from playing with the Grizzly, and my Baja 5b. What a great day! After working on them for a while, and rainy days, I hadn't really got to play with my rc's much. Well today was a nice, clear day, so I went to my usual bashing spot, and had a great time. The Grizz seems much faster than my Baja, although I love my Baja for different reasons. I'm guessing it's because of the larger motor, but it's so fast it's almost scary. It looks like I'll have to try the 5K/7K diff oil in the shocks, because it's a bit too bouncy for me as it is.

I destroyed the body that came with the Grizz (I don't think it was a stock one), so I'll have to pick up a new one. Are the Firehammer bodies fairly durable? The one I got seemed like it cracked with each hit, and while thicker than the lexan bodies I'm used to, it seemed more brittle. But I don't want to spend 70 bucks on a body, and then have it die on me the first time the truck rolls.

So, currently I have a Jetpro pipe, alloy diff cage, Outerwears pullstart cover, a rear cover to protect the diff, and a hitec steering servo. Coming in the mail (hopefully soon), are alloy motor mounts, and a remote kill switch. The truck is fast enough, so I really don't need any speed goodies, so I'm looking for durability upgrades. I was looking at the Duratrax aluminum rear hubs, and steering knuckles. Are these any good? The stock plastic steering knuckles seem pretty flimsy. I was also thinking of picking up the Outerwears crankcase cover. I destroyed the flywheel in my Baja, and got a cover for it, which helped. Do rocks find there way in the Grizzly crankcase frequently? I mainly run on dirt with lots of little pebbles. Any other upgrade suggestions? I really like this truck, and want to keep it running for a long time, so any hints and tips are appreciated. Thanks again.

Hey Rody-

These trucks really rip. I love running mine. The aluminum parts are good I think (I have them on mine and like them). The only parts I had a problem with were the front steering knuckles. Those plastic pieces were the only parts I would break, BUT the plastic is cheap which is a plus.

I would get a crankcase cover (or do your own mod, check out slawhammer's thread, he has one he did listed in there). I've had loads of grass and other crap get under there just like in the Baja. As for other upgrades, not really. I think you've covered it. Alloy motor mounts, but if you aren't having a problem, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just order up some spares.

The diff fluid works better in the shocks. I hate the bounciness and the diff fluid 5k and 7k helps keep it less bouncy.

the firehammer truck body is kinda short and looks funny to me. I bought one then gave it away after a couple times out. Just didn't look right and was a bit thin

Actually the guy who I bought the Grizzly from said that this was an FG body. It looks funny too me. It's too long out the back end. Plus like I said, it was too brittle for me. I'll try the Firehammer one. Not much in the aftermarket for it.

Ya true enough. I got mine used and he said the body busted up first roll lol. To be fair the nutech buggy feels about the same type of plastic but it's too new out to be on his truck so not mentioned ;)

Finally got a chance to take the Grizzly out to the dirt yesterday. The weather was nice and my brother in law and I took our trucks to a nearby dirt field. At first I was kind of pissed off, because my normally easy to start Grizzly wouldn't start. So I messed around with my Baja 5b instead. But my brother in law wanted to see the Grizzly run, so I tried everything I could think of to get it started. I was just about to give up, when he wanted to see if he could start it up...of course it started on the third pull, and we were off! It ran well, and it even took a couple of nasty hits. Of course my cheapo body cracked during a rollover, but the truck itself was unscathed. My brother in law was impressed. He stripped a spur on his Savage, so I let him run the Grizzly, and he was very impressed. I ran it through a few puddles with no incident, and at the end of the day there were no breakages (except the stripped spur on the Savage). All in all, a very fun day of running!

Finally got a chance to take the Grizzly out to the dirt yesterday. The weather was nice and my brother in law and I took our trucks to a nearby dirt field. At first I was kind of pissed off, because my normally easy to start Grizzly wouldn't start. So I messed around with my Baja 5b instead. But my brother in law wanted to see the Grizzly run, so I tried everything I could think of to get it started. I was just about to give up, when he wanted to see if he could start it up...of course it started on the third pull, and we were off! It ran well, and it even took a couple of nasty hits. Of course my cheapo body cracked during a rollover, but the truck itself was unscathed. My brother in law was impressed. He stripped a spur on his Savage, so I let him run the Grizzly, and he was very impressed. I ran it through a few puddles with no incident, and at the end of the day there were no breakages (except the stripped spur on the Savage). All in all, a very fun day of running!

Sounds like a great day running. I can't wait to get out and run!

Hi all. I just wanted to let you know that I found a place to get Grizzly/Firehammer/Bigfoot parts. I ordered a body from them, and just got it today. It took a couple of weeks, because they got it direct from China, but their customer service is good. I asked them how long it would take, and they actually answered my questions. They're not the cheapest, but they'll get you the stuff you need. Here's the link.

http://www.jhchobby.com/home.html

I'm glad I finally found a source for parts.

Glad you got your parts. I ordered from that place (at the time it was tqrcracing.com). Had a horrible time getting my parts and my orders from them. That was about 3 years ago, so maybe they are better now.

Some of the stuff is priced pretty well, but check the prices for hobbypro!!! Chassis plate=$191.06!!! Zenoah 26cc $600.00!!!! Wheel bearings 55 bux a pair!

:lol: I'm glad I am converting the Mutilator over to FG! :lol:

Although Marder parts are getting hard to find!

Thanks for the link, I found a Carson Traveler body for $75 bux shipped!!

Well, I took the Grizzly out bashing with a few Baja buddies. I wasn't able to put my alloy motor mounts on, and the engine must have moved, because I stripped my spur gear in about 5 minutes. I was having all kinds of things breaking on the Baja too, but luckily, I had the parts to fix them, so I was able to continue bashing it. It was a fun day, I was just disappointed I didn't get to run the Grizzly as much. Anyone know where I can get a 46T spur gear? I think the Firehammer one is 48T.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks