New to1/5 Scale..Slawhammer's Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slawhammer

New to1/5 Scale..Slawhammer's Project..FIREHAMMER

Ok..I am some what new to this 1/5 scale...There's a little bit about me in the introduction to this forum...And about a thread I have in RCU forum..
Here goes..My son's got me a firehammer from e-bay...It sure was a big box
that arrived at my door...It was used..and very abused by orig owner..
damage body,broken screws ect..I was looking it over pretty good..
found damaged rear diff shell..wheels would not turn..froze bearings..
I got a hold of owner via e-mail wanted to know more about the engine..
he said it was a CY29CC..alloy fan cover,chrome starter plate,alloy head..
Well seeing how I am new and know very little about this firehammer I started a thread in RCU..I did not know about Large Scale Forum..Here is a picture of the rear diff shell...I will add more to this project..Roger
EDIT: Here is a picture of when I just got the firehammer

Attachments

• IMGP1091.jpg
    IMGP1091.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMGP1086.jpg
    IMGP1086.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
more up grades

Ok..I am some what new to this 1/5 scale...There's a little bit about me in the introduction to this forum...And about a thread I have in RCU forum..
Here goes..My son's got me a firehammer from e-bay...It sure was a big box
that arrived at my door...It was used..and very abused by orig owner..
damage body,broken screws ect..I was looking it over pretty good..
found damaged rear diff shell..wheels would not turn..froze bearings..
I got a hold of owner via e-mail wanted to know more about the engine..
he said it was a CY29CC..alloy fan cover,chrome starter plate,alloy head..
Well seeing how I am new and know very little about this firehammer I started a thread in RCU..I did not know about Large Scale Forum..Here is a picture of the rear diff shell...I will add more to this project..Roger
EDIT: Here is a picture of when I just got the firehammer
Ok I only got too run the firehammer for almost 1 tank of fuel..
seems there some thing not quite right..Found broken clutch spring & shoes..had to order new parts...They have arrived(parts) so now installed clutch along with up grade alloy engine mounts and alloy intake..you can see from the enclosed picture...More up grades to come...Roger

Attachments

• IMGP1130.jpg
    IMGP1130.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 174
If you what a clutch that last for ever and engagement point is adjustable, then go for the ELCON 4 shoes clutch. It is expensive but worth it. On the long rune it is cheaper.

Clutch

If you what a clutch that last for ever and engagement point is adjustable, then go for the ELCON 4 shoes clutch. It is expensive but worth it. On the long rune it is cheaper.
Shiny: Thanks for your reply..Well to tell ya I went with just stock
clutch & shoes with red spring for now..I have other up grades I want to do..
I did replace all bearings ..except the engine..Replaced the rear diff shell for now with alum shell..I may want to go locker diff at a later point..
I still have up grades to do ..in the next couple days...I did replace all fuel lines
..Added a electronic kill switch for 3rd channel use on TX..Enclosed picture of kill switch....I made a pig tail harness tapping into engine kill switch..using push/pull connectors ..to take apart if need to remove engine..bringing the pig tail wire harness up thru the spark plug rubber grommet ..along side the spark plug wire out the top of engine..Enclosed picture of this also..little blurry onthe picture..Many more up grades to come..Thanks for any input any one has..Roger

Attachments

• IMGP1094.jpg
    IMGP1094.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMGP1126.jpg
    IMGP1126.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 135
Well if the truck came with broken parts and issues not mentioned in the auction I'd let the seller know ASAP! If any item I buy off of e-Bay is not as described or better, bring it up with the seller. To many people on there selling CRAP! You can always leave appropriate feedback and seek a partial refund if you paid through PayPal, if the seller refuses to work with you. I just sold mine recently (Buggy) Nothing wrong with it but I was'nt using it since I got my 5B. that thing should be a wheelie monster w/ the 29cc in it. I would upgrade to alloy engine mounts on it since the stock ones are'nt the greatest. And STAY OFF the gas when jumping these, the blow the rear diff pretty easy and strip spur gears as well.
Other than that these are fun trucks/buggies!

crap from e-bay

Well if the truck came with broken parts and issues not mentioned in the auction I'd let the seller know ASAP! If any item I buy off of e-Bay is not as described or better, bring it up with the seller. To many people on there selling CRAP! You can always leave appropriate feedback and seek a partial refund if you paid through PayPal, if the seller refuses to work with you. I just sold mine recently (Buggy) Nothing wrong with it but I was'nt using it since I got my 5B. that thing should be a wheelie monster w/ the 29cc in it. I would upgrade to alloy engine mounts on it since the stock ones are'nt the greatest. And STAY OFF the gas when jumping these, the blow the rear diff pretty easy and strip spur gears as well.
Other than that these are fun trucks/buggies!

Imadman:Thanks for your reply..I did get it taken care of and got compensated for the problems..Ok now if you look at picture of the clutch shoe installation you will notice at bottom ..blue alloy engine mount..also in upper right you will see a reddish or purple alloy intake also added..As to jumping I don't jump ..unless by can't be avoided going over a dirt pile..I have not had this long to do much with as of yet..just too many things to fix..I have some pictures of up grades to come..Oh The old walbro 668 carb was leaking and had low end bog problems....I got a new walbro 813 carb alloy vol stack and K&N style air filter..Plus Outerwares precovers ready to go...Waiting on post today yet..Got new drive cups and dog bones comming..Old ones are split on the cups..bones are twisted and bent pin..
with still parts coming should be here on monday..So you could say my firehammer is better than new....Now I don't think I have showed orig pictures of ths firehammer before I started..So enclosed are a couple pictures...As to wheelies..not yet..Maybe after I get the new carb adjusted..
More to come..Thanks for any help or replys..Roger

Attachments

• IMGP1081 (565 x 422).jpg
    IMGP1081 (565 x 422).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMGP1082.jpg
    IMGP1082.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 210
  • IMGP1080.jpg
    IMGP1080.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMGP1079.jpg
    IMGP1079.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Forgotten Pictures

Ok a couple of pictures I could not find earlier..one is the diff shell dented
before I had to cut shell off the diff...there one is Bling..alloy intake I installed
Thanks for any input on my project..AKA Slawhammer

Attachments

• dented diff shell (112 x 150).jpg
    dented diff shell (112 x 150).jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 106
  • alloy intake (600 x 800).jpg
    alloy intake (600 x 800).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 103
For the diff you may want to follow some of the posts on using a Fg alloy diff cage a elcon stainless diff cover and use some silly putty inside to stiffen the diff to get close to a locked diff. The plastic cage will crack and take out the gears along with other items.
The stock filter or a FG filter with a redneck would be the best and you can even wrap that with a outerwears. I think the KN filters are good with on roads but with dusty conditions I cant recommend them.
Does the MT have a pipe yet?

For the diff you may want to follow some of the posts on using a Fg alloy diff cage a elcon stainless diff cover and use some silly putty inside to stiffen the diff to get close to a locked diff. The plastic cage will crack and take out the gears along with other items.
The stock filter or a FG filter with a redneck would be the best and you can even wrap that with a outerwears. I think the KN filters are good with on roads but with dusty conditions I cant recommend them.

I second that for the Diff & filter.
You can upgrade the dog bones to ELCON ball drive system. It is the best.
:)

Yes there is a DDM pipe

Bigger The Better:.....
Well There is a alloy rear diff..just like what tower sells for 59 bucks light blue in color...At the moment I went with alum diff shell..repacked the gears..
new bearings in the diff mounts..Now there is also some thing I want to replace
is those mounts..I hate plastic for bearings..I have spun the outside of a bearing before..melted the plastic housing...At present time I will use the K&N style filter..I have a nice 400Yd mower grass area to use..Nut will keep that filter in mind for if get chance to play in dirt..I agree with you there..
It can with DDM toeque pipe...I think you can see it a couple posts backs...
Thanks for your reply to my project..I welcome all suggestions...
AKA Slawhammer/Roger

Dog Bones

I second that for the Diff & filter.
You can upgrade the dog bones to ELCON ball drive system. It is the best.
:)
Shiney:: now you tell me..I got stock drive cups and new dog bones
coming should be here this Tue...But thanks for thr heads up on the elcon
I will keep that in mind for next time when have to change out...
Thanks for your reply..any and all replys welcome..AKA Slawhammer:2guns::2guns:

I want to thank some members here also for ther great help from another forum
Foxy42,Hellya,Csp1971..the list goes on..But these people really stick in my mind at the
moment...They have really help me with this project along with many others..My mind is
a little foggy on names..has to do with the meds I am taking...I can not thank all the wonderful people who have helps me..I just love you guys..Every body makes this old man proud to have a 1/5 scale to rebuild and play with....So thaanks for all reply
and the help..AKA Slawhammer/Roger

Shiney:: now you tell me..I got stock drive cups and new dog bones
coming should be here this Tue...But thanks for thr heads up on the elcon
I will keep that in mind for next time when have to change out...
Thanks for your reply..any and all replys welcome..AKA Slawhammer:2guns::2guns:

Sorry. I now how disappointing it is to replace a part and then found there is a much better one you should have got.
This is a like to the Ball Drive System:
http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,showdetail,1046,e,1218975358-2319,carson.carson_aluteile.carson_tuning_antrieb,carson_306007,,Tshowrub--carson.carson_aluteile.carson_tuning_antrieb,.htm

Thes are gode too:
http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,showdetail,1046,e,1218975220-1206,elcon.elcon_fg_monster,elc_18526,,Tshowrub--elcon.elcon_fg_monster,.htm

More Up Grades

Shiney: Thanks for info..Well the up grades for my firehammer goes on..Form a member
Hella..I purchased from him a alloy gear plate and alloy carrier with 48 th gear..Now have installed..Still more to come..I have a spectrum DX3 radio syatem..I also use with my nitro
truck...Pictures ..every body loves pictures...Thanks for all replys..you guys Rock..
AKA Slawhammer
EDIT: Added picture of gears installed..you can see the gear lube
i have a picture in tips on the lube..:2guns::2guns:

Attachments

• gear plate.jpg
    gear plate.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 102
  • FH48 gear.jpg
    FH48 gear.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 85
  • gears lubed.jpg
    gears lubed.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
better picture

newer picture of kill switch pig tail..
AkA Slawhammer

Attachments

• Pig Tail 2.jpg
    Pig Tail 2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 78
Looks like your good with doing things. I must say your switch instillation is a clean job. Like it was done in the factory.

Pig tail

Looks like your good with doing things. I must say your switch instillation is a clean job. Like it was done in the factory.

Yes I try to do the best I can ..to look if were factory..on most things I do
Those are push/pull connectors..to take apart if need to remove the engine
Thanks for your reply..All replys welcome..Any suggestions please feel free
to answer...Love to hear from people..AKA Slawhammer

Just a thought.
Apply some anti corrosion grass on the terminal same as auto electricians use. You can find it in any hard wear store. It will make sure the terminals dos not corrode and assure electrical continuity.

Die electrical grease

Just a thought.
Apply some anti corrosion grass on the terminal same as auto electricians use. You can find it in any hard wear store. It will make sure the terminals dos not corrode and assure electrical continuity.
Shiny: I have applied dieelectrical grease..Maybe the same your talking about
But thanks for you tip...
Ok have the walbro 813 carb/ No choke and K&N style airfiler installed...My firemammer came with walbro 668 carb It was leaking and when I did get to run
the firehammer was low end bogging...The new carb has a axcellarator pump
built in to help for low end bog for a smoother transition from low to high..
I have yet to fire this up..Maybe get to that later today...Enclosed pictrue
of carb installation..All new fuel lines...Thanks for your reply..and all replys
are welcome along with suggestions...AKA Slawhammer:hammer:

Attachments

• 813 carb & filter.jpg
    813 carb & filter.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 46
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks