New UK based potential 1/5 TC club racer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodles

Hi,

New UK based member, keen to get into 1/5 On road RC cars.

I've been out of the RC game a very long time (20 years), but used to race 1/10 Electric Buggy at Club level in my late teens. I've recently become totally obsessed with these 1/5 Scale cars !

Im relunctant to even consider splashing out £3k on the latest top end competition model, and so Im looking to dip my toes with something more entry level like an FG Sportsline 2WD. My question really, is this false economy, I know its 90% about having fun than being competitive but am I just never going to be able to keep up with the pack at club events in a Sportsline or should I be looking at other models ? . Are they upgradeadeable to full EVO competion spec ?

Alternatively, is picking up an older generation used Sportsline model and upgrading it with the leftover budget a smarter move ?

Cheers

Fg would be a solid move imo. @Striikar is our resident fg nut, so he can fill in the gaps. Most pro level on roads are quite expensive as they have all the "upgrades" out the gate. Once your set up it should just be tuning and normal maintenance type stuff.

As far as racing you'll have to find out what classes they offer and the required car specs to be able to race in them.
Stock,modified,2-4wd,engine size etc.

If you want to have fun and dip your feet into 1/5 scale, start with a Sportsline 2wd and run their stock class,if they have one.
Your wallet will thank you.

If you want to race pro, you can start at the top with the 2020.2 Evo, It's going to expensive!.

You can upgrade the sportsline to a point but it'll never be on the Evo's level.
Sportsline is more casual and the Evo is for racing.

If you're already thinking about upgrading then it doesn't make sense to start with a Sportsline.
Unless they have a modified class for it. Then your limited to inclass upgrades only.

By buying a Evo,you save money in upgrades from the start and will have a higher level of car to begin with.

The other choice is to buy an older evo.
Getting a earlier Evo will get you a better platform to race or bash.
It might not be the latest and greatest but you'll have better experience and starting point and you'll definitely save money in not having pay upgrade costs.

The good thing with FG's are alot of the car parts are interchangeable between the years.

They may have class for older cars also,if you still want to race.

I definitely understand this current economic situation and that's something you'll have seriously consider.
I think you'll have to figure out which type of car you want to start with and budget.
I would look for a used car now for best bang for the buck.
Either Evo or sportline.

I'm just trying to help you make the best decision for you, at this time.

If you have more questions or need help, just lmk.?

I'm currently building a Evo/comp from the ground up in our build thread post.

Many thanks all. Advice taken onboard, cheers. Im most likely going to keep my eye out for a used EVO chassis or other more race orientated starting base. I can respect the racing in stock classess, but I love to tinker and fancy one of the more modded classes.

Im based near oxfordshire, but have family not far from the Mendip track which is part of the BRCA 1/5 circuit calendar

@Striikar Loving the build thread pics.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks