Newbie DBXL K&N owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so I am looking at the Barta
Welcome,

# 1 upgrade should be kill switch

Air intake = I like the triple dome with red neck outer (not impressed with outer wears, they help) but good cleaning and oil after use is by far best practice.

Rock crawling with 1/5 scale gas be a challange for sure (clutch engagement rpm) IMO
Parts
I like DDM, as mentioned above, great service, parts solection, prompt shipping
they HAVE NOT LET ME DOWN YET

DDM site looks great, I plan to purchase from there - thank you. I'm looking at the Bartolone Silenced Pipe so far. But the DDM pipe is so much cheaper. my neighbors will like me more though if the silenced is that much quite but still the same performance. I didn't find a triple dome only for the 5ive. Do you have a link to it by chance? Thanks. Yeah, not really rock crawling, I have a empty lot close by and it has some rocks and small bushes. More like rugged off road I guess.
@scallopking It looks like the guys have you sorted out. Good luck and have fun.
thanks!!
Just wait till the losi rock rey is out for a bit for 1/6 scale rock/trail rig....I wouldn't bother with a gas truck they don't have near enough gear for it or reverse.... not to mention no drag brakes or the like.
Something I forgot to mention, yours is new so losi may have updated by now.... the shocks suck! Even after heavier springs and tons of wasted oil, i bit it and went to 5ive t front shocks all around. Greatly improved the "jumpability" of the dbxl and a lot less nose dives coming off a jump. Not something I would worry about right away. I just broke a front sway bar mount the other day, fixing it made me think of how much I couldn't stand the stock shocks. Here's the how to link.
https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/how-to-5ive-t-shocks-on-dbxl.21690/

yeah, the shocks seem mushy and not a lot spring back. Is that what you meant? I notice you can tighten the springs down ( I think) is this correct, would it help? thanks for the link - added to my DBXL to do list. ouch, that hurt a little bit I bet. how hard was it to change out? my problem is that if I break something one day that it will take while to fix it for me.

Last edited:
I didn't find the shock swap terrible, but I was a mechanic for most my life. Ddm offers some stiffer springs fir the stock shocks.... but like i said when the stickers crap then I'd worry about it.
The dome triple will fit just fine it eint stick out any further than the stocker does.

I spray wd silicone spray on my stuff works good . But here in new Jersey 4 or 5 record year of rain fall they muddy pigs waiting for snow to get them cleaned up

Altenatively. Instead of a killswitch you can get a piece of rubber band and or a spring.

https://ibb.co/KwpTZqX

What this does is that if all electric systems fail, no radio, no killswitch no nada nothing. The engine vibration is enough to pull the servo back to neutral and slightly into break territory of the servo. I don't know a single person who use killswitches due to the amount of potential gremlin issues that they have been known to cause. From engines refusing to start or refuse to stop or start and stop contantly or some other irritatant. A rubber band is a lot cheaper and always work regardless. Use a spring if you want to be fancy about it. Killswitch is a religion at this point.

that is nice, saw the pics!
Altenatively. Instead of a killswitch you can get a piece of rubber band and or a spring.

https://ibb.co/KwpTZqX

What this does is that if all electric systems fail, no radio, no killswitch no nada nothing. The engine vibration is enough to pull the servo back to neutral and slightly into break territory of the servo. I don't know a single person who use killswitches due to the amount of potential gremlin issues that they have been known to cause. From engines refusing to start or refuse to stop or start and stop contantly or some other irritatant. A rubber band is a lot cheaper and always work regardless. Use a spring if you want to be fancy about it. Killswitch is a religion at this point.

this is most excellent - thank you.
Dt1 filter+ v stack+outwears on my losi 5b.. .so it will fit ur dbxl dude (y)

evssv. so what does the v stack do aside from more air flow I think? And can i ask, what parts I need to match up? I looked at DDM and there's a few different ones. Thank you very much. And if I had this do I need to upgrade anything else? I am doing the pipe upgrade so far.

Last edited:
Mind you. I mostly run mine at a closed place. If you plan to run it in parks or places where there are plenty of other people. Do both. Killswtich+rubber band. If mine fails. At worst it get a rearranged front end. The run away scenario in a place with people, especially people who are unware of how heavy these things are, can turn real grim. Just be aware of engine issues after you install the kill switch and always unplug that first. Before you do anything else with the engine. In case of issues, I mean.

that is nice, saw the pics!

this is most excellent - thank you.

evssv. so what does the v stack do aside from more air flow I think? And can i ask, what parts I need to match up? I looked at DDM and there's a few different ones. Thank you very much. And if I had this do I need to upgrade anything else? I am doing the pipe upgrade so far.
http://www.davesmotors.com/ddm-velocity-stack-3-4-height.html (y)
nv stacks improve air flow..and this being shorter adds in low end ....(y)....no other upgrades needed...obv the dt1 filter and cover...(y)

Mind you. I mostly run mine at a closed place. If you plan to run it in parks or places where there are plenty of other people. Do both. Killswtich+rubber band. If mine fails. At worst it get a rearranged front end. The run away scenario in a place with people, especially people who are unware of how heavy these things are, can turn real grim. Just be aware of engine issues after you install the kill switch and always unplug that first. Before you do anything else with the engine. In case of issues, I mean.

wow didn't even consider a run away DBXL. That would hurt. I have a couple large empty lots around me and will just run it there. People run their ATVs through them so there's a soft dirt track already in. But should it run away there or even just flip and I am not close to kill it or turn it over I imagine the kill switch is good there too. Yeah so got to figure out the kill switch addition. thank you!

Great job on your car looks awesome

I just installed kill switch on my 5 t 2.0, its working fine, now not as worried about losing control of car,
I think that its the best money I have spent, Safety
wasn't to hard to install, took me little over 1 hour total, and I removed the motor to make it easier to route wires and deal with coil plugs.
its working as it should
low voltage
no radio signal
and able to shut motor off from transmitter
Did install the buzzer and remote LED
although I did order extension cable today to relocate to my battery box

wow didn't even consider a run away DBXL. That would hurt. I have a couple large empty lots around me and will just run it there. People run their ATVs through them so there's a soft dirt track already in. But should it run away there or even just flip and I am not close to kill it or turn it over I imagine the kill switch is good there too. Yeah so got to figure out the kill switch addition. thank you!
i love this vid....sooooo funny:ROFLMAO:

yes seen that vid also,
there is another out there were a guy and his daughter are in a shopping mall parking lot, all looks fine, he and his daughter are having a good time then it just takes off into a concert light pole, destroys front of car, broken chassie, broken lower arms, bet it cost him a hell of a lot more than the 70 - 80 bucks for supper bee kill switch.
I just think is cheap insurance
and with so many sue happy peeps these days, It shows due dilegence on our part at the very least
JUST my point of few

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks