noob alert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hewy78

Hi guys , hopefully getting my first fg monster truck from courrier tomorrow, was hoping someone could help me out as to what mix to run , the guy I'm getting it off says he's been running it on 40:1 , is this the recommended ratio , also any helpfull tips to prolong life and look after it would be greatly appreciated, 1 last thing how long do average battery pack in the truck last . Thanks guys. :w00t:

Hi there.

WELCOME TO LSF !!

Fuel mixture ..... it's like that how long's a piece of string question.
MOST default to 25:1, with 32:1 a safe high ratio.

I've an FG CD which actually states 40:1, but for safety, for very little loss - won't see ANYTHING - and peace of mind, stick with 25-32:1.

Get photos up as soon as ....

In the UserCP section, you can enter details, such as LOCATION - this will help you and others with answers to questions, etc.

Al.

Thanks bud , pardon my ignorance but what's a fg cd , does factory state 40:1 and does 30:1 mean u have less petrol more oil. ?? Will get pics up ,still not here yet. :mad:

Thanks bud , pardon my ignorance but what's a fg cd , does factory state 40:1 and does 30:1 mean u have less petrol more oil. ?? Will get pics up ,still not here yet. :mad:

Simply mean FG Modellsport CD-ROM.
As these engines rely on their lubrication from the fuel, and are quite high revving, nearly everyone defaults to the 25:1.
I don't run that often and have had no problems so far with 32:1 - just that 'what if ..... having a little higher ratio does give a slight edge' ..
TBH I doubt if it would even be noticeable.

Still waiting for the photos ...... :D:rolleyes:

Al.

I always use 180ml to 200ml of Castrol A747 with 5ltr of shell V power and I've never has the slightest issue with any of my engines and that over 10 years of racing.

Hi there.

WELCOME TO LSF !!

Fuel mixture ..... it's like that how long's a piece of string question.
MOST default to 25:1, with 32:1 a safe high ratio.

I've an FG CD which actually states 40:1, but for safety, for very little loss - won't see ANYTHING - and peace of mind, stick with 25-32:1.

Get photos

Seems a big jump between 40:1 and 25:1. , I'm a bit baffled by it all to be honest ... :(

Truck turned up today so will get pics up , will prob go 25:1. Seems safer as more oil , or am I wrong , its all a bit baffling.

Will do , thanks for clearing that up .. hopefully get it running on sun , one of back wheels seems little loose ( rear n/s ) although wheel nut is tight .. will keep an eye on it ,

If it's loose, check that the wheel square is nice and tight.
Check also that it's on the correct way around.
On one side, there's an 'inner ring', which gently touches the bearing inner.
The other way around and it will grind against the inner and outer parts of the bearing - not good.
Wobbly may also mean that the bearings fecked!
Wobbly may also mean that the wheel's not been properly aligned onto the wheel square and has been tightened against the correct mould shape - better check there's no damage to the inside of the wheel.
Al.

Took wheel off and back on , all tight now , easy fix. : ). , is it best to empty tank after running , and how long is it safe to leave petrol , oil mixed in mixing bottle for before it goes off , have to remember to shake it before putting in the tank ...

Last edited:
Took wheel off and back on , all tight now , easy fix. : ). , is it best to empty tank after running , and how long is it safe to leave petrol , oil mixed in mixing bottle for before it goes off , have to remember to shake it before putting in the tank ...

The plastic mixing bottles expand over time so you don't get an accurate fuel / oil ratio. Its best to use a measuring jug and just use the mixing bottle for tipping the measured amounts into to take to the field or for storage.

Ive used 6mth old fuel / oil mix before now after working away for a while and it was not quite as responsive as brand new fuel but still ok. As you say just give it a good shake up.

Cool , is it ok to leave fuel in the car for a week or two or would it be best to empty tank everytime , ....also how do i attach pics I've taken with my phone. : )

Everyone will say 'empty every time'.
Others will say, 'why was there any left in it anyway?' !!

Not kosher, but I leave fuel in for at least a few weeks, but 'jiggle' the rigs before I try to start - the thing is most believe the oil may separate out a little from the petrol.
Same for 'stored mixed fuel' - always give it a good mix before using it.

Al.

Battery died and failsafe kicked in , at least I hope that's why it stopped. : ) will invest in another bottle for storage and mixing jug .. what size battery u use in truck bud ?

Everyone will say 'empty every time'.
Others will say, 'why was there any left in it anyway?' !!

Not kosher, but I leave fuel in for at least a few weeks, but 'jiggle' the rigs before I try to start - the thing is most believe the oil may separate out a little from the petrol.
Same for 'stored mixed fuel' - always give it a good mix before using it.

Al.

Im same as you Al. Not come to any harm yet ;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks