oddie 23cc head and piston that was on ebay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renbar

was thinking of getting this 2 bolt 23cc oddified head and piston for the spare 23cc zenoah ive got knocking about,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oddified-FG-Piston-and-Head-Ian-Oddie-modified-23cc-/200831137500

but somebody got in before i could bid,,,im a bit gutted but having looked at it closer the piston don't look like ians work just looks like a stock piston and then the fact its just the head i cant see the date marked on the top in pics so don't know how old it is,,,,plus once built it wont be a full oddie engine as he ports the bottom end as well so it would just be a 23cc engine with a oddie head so i think i'll wait and send my spare of to ian next year and get him to do his stuff plus i have allready got 2 cracking oddie lumps including ians own engine from 2006 thats stll going like a champ

what you thoughts on it did i do the right thing holding off and losing out or not the more i think about it i think sending the spare to ian is better :cool:

Oddified head & piston

was thinking of getting this 2 bolt 23cc oddified head and piston for the spare 23cc zenoah ive got knocking about,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oddified-FG-Piston-and-Head-Ian-Oddie-modified-23cc-/200831137500

but somebody got in before i could bid,,,im a bit gutted but having looked at it closer the piston don't look like ians work just looks like a stock piston and then the fact its just the head i cant see the date marked on the top in pics so don't know how old it is,,,,plus once built it wont be a full oddie engine as he ports the bottom end as well so it would just be a 23cc engine with a oddie head so i think i'll wait and send my spare of to ian next year and get him to do his stuff plus i have allready got 2 cracking oddie lumps including ians own engine from 2006 thats stll going like a champ

what you thoughts on it did i do the right thing holding off and losing out or not the more i think about it i think sending the spare to ian is better :cool:

Mate I watched it to the end but I chickened out at the last min , don't know why ? I just thought I could do better maybe

so im not the only one thing with it was not the best pics and no idea what the platings like plus the not being a ported bottem end to match put me off

Oddie head

so im not the only one thing with it was not the best pics and no idea what the platings like plus the not being a ported bottem end to match put me off

Yea mate couldn't see enough and it was just an idea of putting an engine into my spider for a beetle project but I hesitated thinking dam it I need an oddie full engine signed and dated , I thought of your beetle and that's what made me wait lol ;)

nice one mate,,,,trust me i waited ages for the bugs engine spent a good 3 months emailing ian oddie about specs prices before i parted with any cash best money ive ever spent on the bug mate,,,,got to try it this week again since removing the red race kit but i think its still going to be a handfull plus i can still hook the ecu up and shove it on map 12 if i need more grunt which i cant see lol

Bug

nice one mate,,,,trust me i waited ages for the bugs engine spent a good 3 months emailing ian oddie about specs prices before i parted with any cash best money ive ever spent on the bug mate,,,,got to try it this week again since removing the red race kit but i think its still going to be a handfull plus i can still hook the ecu up and shove it on map 12 if i need more grunt which i cant see lol

Hehe I wish I could go bashing with you but I would be probably put to shame , have been emailing oddified but il keep trying , I'm busting for my own engine from him , I would be in the market if I saw a something on eBay , there was a 2006 one went last week I was watching , I'm constantly watching lol but I keep thinking save your cash and wait for the man himself and it will be bugs engine 2012 on it and I will feel a lot happier getting it direct from oddified

I would say you will have some fun this week , I'm planning to get out myself this week I hope the weather ain't too bad :)

theres a red top oddie engine and ecu on ebay at the mo for @£250 been on there ages so 1 bid should get it maybe worth a punt

due to me not getting to head and piston in the link i thought id strip and check the spare 23cc zenoah that came in the on road car,,,and to my suprise its better than i thought after getting all the dirt/dust off the outside of it and checking the piston bore bearings ect its like a new engine even no real carbon build up on the top of the piston no play in any bearings no marks on bore or scratches the rings like new even the coil looks brand new so im leaving it be and have replaced the head gasket re fitted all the bits i robbed from it to use in the on roads oddie engine

so if the worst happens to the 23cc oddie lump i know ive got a real good replacement and once fitted with the red race kit and ecu im sure it will be a cracker while getting the oddie repaired if it ever dies lol oh and touch wood it don't

Oddie engine

theres a red top oddie engine and ecu on ebay at the mo for @£250 been on there ages so 1 bid should get it maybe worth a punt

due to me not getting to head and piston in the link i thought id strip and check the spare 23cc zenoah that came in the on road car,,,and to my suprise its better than i thought after getting all the dirt/dust off the outside of it and checking the piston bore bearings ect its like a new engine even no real carbon build up on the top of the piston no play in any bearings no marks on bore or scratches the rings like new even the coil looks brand new so im leaving it be and have replaced the head gasket re fitted all the bits i robbed from it to use in the on roads oddie engine

so if the worst happens to the 23cc oddie lump i know ive got a real good replacement and once fitted with the red race kit and ecu im sure it will be a cracker while getting the oddie repaired if it ever dies lol oh and touch wood it don't

Don't worry il Definately touch wood for you but I think you will be fine with that motor it's a beast and well looked after ! Il take a look on eBay here at the oddified engine sounds nice with the red top ! My Missis is paying for my oddie engine but I know what she's like she will say " if you buy that you will never be sure when it will break " your bloody waiting to get it from oddified if I'm paying boyo lol so il talk to her about it , ya know what women are like hehe But sounds good mate !
Cheers
Rob

Oddie on ebay

Hi mate
The oddified 4 bolt red top with ecu looks really good
Can you tell me from your experience mate , the red top is from 2008 it looks real clean and the oddified writing on it looks fresh as if it was just done
Do I trust it ? Would a buggy used for 4 years have a clean red head like that looking as new ? I would have thought it would have chipped pair by use or at least look a little worn , maybe in just paranoid mate
Thanks
Rob

Rose "eBay user "

Hi mate just seen the other two oddies this guy has for sale both arnt pictured with oddie writing on em and the red top does ! All three engines are from that seller rose you were dubious of , I'm very carefull usually and after what happend you I will be emailing him for some info
God knows they could be signed but has he switched heads or bottom ends and just using heads on the othe two or sonething ? I don't know , it better to go with instinct sometimes as I would say people try to pass off oddie engines because of the name and value of them but you would get the odd dishonest person but the red top looks spot on and ecu as a bonus
Sorry for doin your head in mate
Just I like to be sure sometimes
I hate getting ripped off
Rob

its a big gamble secondhand engines mate ive been shafted before with a tuned zenoah that was junk but on another note the 23cc engine that turned out to be ian oddies own engine from 2006 was a great buy and still going strong i give £140 posted for that and to me its priceless and cant be replaced cause ian built it for himself so its not a customer engine

the red top does look good but thats the outside inside may be another story but then again if its a racers engine it would have been looked after and may have been serviced by ian after every season

maybe worth getting the numbers from the seller and try contacting ian direct tell him the engine numbers marked on the head he will tell you if its been serviced by him since building it in 2008 and how much power it had then as well most red tops are @6.6hp

I like it

its a big gamble secondhand engines mate ive been shafted before with a tuned zenoah that was junk but on another note the 23cc engine that turned out to be ian oddies own engine from 2006 was a great buy and still going strong i give £140 posted for that and to me its priceless and cant be replaced cause ian built it for himself so its not a customer engine

the red top does look good but thats the outside inside may be another story but then again if its a racers engine it would have been looked after and may have been serviced by ian after every season

maybe worth getting the numbers from the seller and try contacting ian direct tell him the engine numbers marked on the head he will tell you if its been serviced by him since building it in 2008 and how much power it had then as well most red tops are @6.6hp

Happy days mate ! Nice info !
Il do just that il get the numbers and email him and try to find out some facts
Would be great to come across a gem like you found , you just never know do ya ! Nice info mate thankyou !
Rob

you need to send him the date markings and the gr4 then he will know exactly what engines had done to it and when i had another look after you last post it looks good not sure if the ecu is a mk1 or mk2 ecu but even for @£250 its going to wake up your car real good

now then now then Robert:D you have heard "pig in a poke"

you may be lucky if you get a reply from this guy,but he may not want

to sell to someone delving to deep:rolleyes: and you already know

about renbars dealings with him

K....

im sure it was tidaz who had problems with that seller keith ive not had any dealings with that seller

dealing with ian oddie however was great once you get through to him as hes allways busy or racing the advice and service i got was 100% spot on and i got more than i was expecting a few extras that cost me nothing and a big fat smile from ear to ear which i still get everytime the bug gets used yes keith it gets used mate and real dirty

im sure it was tidaz who had problems with that seller keith ive not had any dealings with that seller

dealing with ian oddie however was great once you get through to him as hes allways busy or racing the advice and service i got was 100% spot on and i got more than i was expecting a few extras that cost me nothing and a big fat smile from ear to ear which i still get everytime the bug gets used yes keith it gets used mate and real dirty

ahh yes Barry,i was thinking it was you:eek:

my thoughts would be like you,and buy straight from ian oddie;)

and then no worries eh

K....

its all down to budget at the end of the day mate when i brought the 23cc on ebay it was more than i wanted to pay at £140 but it had been on there for months at £200 odd as soon as i see it get reduced i snapped it up

but the new one for the bug was a once in a lifetime chance for me to have the best i could afford without going over the price of a bzm which was the plan for the bug but after speaking to ian and getting prices it was done deal and even with engine clutch ecu leads fan covers for both engines was still way under the price of the bzm but mines reliable and a direct fit for a fg built for me by a world champion what more do you want lol

Oddified

Emailed him and no reply yet but there's time yet at least one day left on the first one , I think he may be dubious of all my questions I asked for the numbers on all three engines and he gives no details off engine size when I zoomed the pic of one of them you can faintly see an oddified signature but looks like it may have been scribbled over or maybe I'm wrong and just can't see it right . Wouldn't mind a bit of luck on one but I did look at the links to the pics someone posted that had probs with him and it was a little suspicious , think it was rear arms and then de - anodised arms were for sale for £70 after he didn't receive em . I hope they are legit tho !
I suppose buying from oddie himself is the only way to be sure to get a nice engine you know where it came from but a bargain would be nice too
Well see if he mails back I told him I wanted to check the serial numbers with oddie so he might be scared off if there's something not right

its just the date and the 3 digits engraved into the head you need mate the redtop has these in the listing im sure it was 6/8/08 gr4 but check the listing and send oddie a message about it and its history even with that,,,its not going to prove its still a good engine buying new is the only way to get 100%

but then a new red top 26cc is @£460 odd and the mk2 ecu is @£170

bet your mrs is shiting kittens thanks to me and the vid of my bug bet she bloody hates me lol

Oddie engines

its just the date and the 3 digits engraved into the head you need mate the redtop has these in the listing im sure it was 6/8/08 gr4 but check the listing and send oddie a message about it and its history even with that,,,its not going to prove its still a good engine buying new is the only way to get 100%

but then a new red top 26cc is @£460 odd and the mk2 ecu is @£170

bet your mrs is shiting kittens thanks to me and the vid of my bug bet she bloody hates me lol

Hahaha lmao I promised her something she really wanted so I might get off with spending a few £££ before Xmas I'm torn between what I want & can get lol like a big child :) :) I'm gonna try the bargain of the month on hobbytheck the smartech monster truck and il get back to let everyone know what they are like , smartech just done a beetle on the site but its a on road and I would rather buy a fg beetle for the extra cash but I'm torn because I really fancy a 5t Probly the km one , the first oddie engine is up in an hour no bids yet at £110 he hasn't emailed back yet so no info but il send oddie an email about the red top , I might have a punt on this one in an hour but I'm thinking nobody might bid and he will relisted it or I could do something with him if it doesn't sell , maybe worth a punt for my spider / beetle project il see ! I'm a nervous bidder lol and usually within last few seconds so if anyone's bidding on these engines let me know so we don't bid against eachother & drive up the prices un necessarily lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks