Oh dear ... When does it become an obsession?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B7BC927A-CD73-4340-9FA4-899A770B7FE9.jpeg
I just picked this up. An Atomik ARC 58” boat. I bought it from a friend who bought it new 10 years ago. I don’t think many were sold in the U.S. It has only been on the water 2 times in its life. I can’t find one for sale anywhere online. YouTube has some video’s on it but that’s about it. Anybody know anything about it?
A856A136-0C6D-424C-9C59-0221EF4B3889.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 61288
I just picked this up. An Atomik ARC 58” boat. I bought it from a friend who bought it new 10 years ago. I don’t think many were sold in the U.S. It has only been on the water 2 times in its life. I can’t find one for sale anywhere online. YouTube has some video’s on it but that’s about it. Anybody know anything about it?
View attachment 61290

Looks great. Looks like it would be easy to upgrade to a larger motor and ESC. That has potential to go a lot faster . I have a Zelos Twin 36 also.

Last edited:
Have tried tightening a drill on the shaft an turn it with the drill an work it back an forth? Maybe a burr where the
set screws were!
I clamped a small set of vise grips on the prop shaft and tapped on it with a small hammer. I didn’t hit it crazy hard as I didn’t want to break anything.
I’ll give the drill thing a try tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited:
I didnt know that you was talking about a flex drive ,that is a different story ,you may have to replace the whole stuffing
tube if the cable had twisted an broke loose inside ,possible if it was installed backwards!....:unsure:

I didnt know that you was talking about a flex drive ,that is a different story ,you may have to replace the whole stuffing
tube if the cable had twisted an broke loose inside ,possible if it was installed backwards!....:unsure:
The shaft turns freely. I completely remove all 8 set screws in the coupler. With the set screws out, I can turn the shaft while holding the coupler still, but the shaft will not pull out. I’m thinking there is a bearing on the end of the shaft that is pressed into the strut.

The shaft turns freely. I completely remove all 8 set screws in the coupler. With the set screws out, I can turn the shaft while holding the coupler still, but the shaft will not pull out. I’m thinking there is a bearing on the end of the shaft that is pressed into the strut.

Have you tried taking the strut part off where it goes into the mount?

That makes sense. My Zelos twin isn’t like that. If the couple on it comes loose and you hit reverse, bye bye prop shaft.

LOl....I dabbled in RC boats in the early 90's ,my boats werent high end ,but I beefed them up by changing under the hull prop
& shaft set up to a drive dog & strut ,also made my own adjustable trim tabs!

LOL...reminds me when I let my daughter run my boat ,she hit reverse in full throttle .I didnt zero out reverse because it was a
mechanical speed control ,which at the time I ran because I added more battery cells ,a whopping 14.4 volt.

When she hit reverse it the boat became a submarine an took a deep dive .lucky I had styrofoam in the hull ,it popped
right back up out of the water!....LOL

Make sure that there is a block of styro foam in the hull or sponsons!

Make sure when you put that back together you space the drive dog a 1/4" away from the strut. If the previous owner ran it like that I'm surprised they didn't destroy the flex shaft. Guess I was confused ,thought you said you couldn't get the flex shaft out of the coupler. Are you able to pull the flex out of the strut so you can grease it?

LOl....I dabbled in RC boats in the early 90's ,my boats werent high end ,but I beefed them up by changing under the hull prop
& shaft set up to a drive dog & strut ,also made my own adjustable trim tabs!

LOL...reminds me when I let my daughter run my boat ,she hit reverse in full throttle .I didnt zero out reverse because it was a
mechanical speed control ,which at the time I ran because I added more battery cells ,a whopping 14.4 volt.

When she hit reverse it the boat became a submarine an took a deep dive .lucky I had styrofoam in the hull ,it popped
right back up out of the water!....LOL

Make sure that there is a block of styro foam in the hull or sponsons!
There is foam in the front of the front of the boat.
Make sure when you put that back together you space the drive dog a 1/4" away from the strut. If the previous owner ran it like that I'm surprised they didn't destroy the flex shaft. Guess I was confused ,thought you said you couldn't get the flex shaft out of the coupler. Are you able to pull the flex out of the strut so you can grease it?
A 1/4"? That seems like a lot. I'll check into that. And yes, I was able to grease the flex shaft. I will be doing a maiden voyage tomorrow if the winds die down here.

Last edited:
There is foam in the front of the front of the boat.

A 1/4"? That seems like a lot. I'll check into that. And yes, I was able to grease the flex shaft. I will be doing a maiden voyage tomorrow if the winds die down here.

Your flex is a 1/4" thick. Rule of thumb is you space the drivedog the thickness of the flex away from the strut so that as it compresses it won't bind against the strut which will cause all kinds of problems.

Your flex is a 1/4" thick. Rule of thumb is you space the drivedog the thickness of the flex away from the strut so that as it compresses it won't bind against the strut which will cause all kinds of problems.
I can’t get the flex shaft out of the strut, which means I can’t adjust the shaft in or out. I’m going to make a few runs tomorrow at lower speeds and try to pull the shaft after that. I really appreciate all the comments.
It just dawned on me, the drive dog set screw rides on a flat spot on the shaft that is about a 1/4” long. This boat is total different from the Zelos Twin. I’m also finding that it’s very rare it seems.
One more question, is the flex shaft a generic size? If not, is there somewhere I can have one made ?

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks