Ok, so I'm now all in with this RC stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone is saying it wont run issue free on 93. And let's also remember that the addition of oil will effect the burn rate of the fuel a bit. Ie lower the octane rating. I don't have a chart for this or know how much oil equals to what octane numbers. And there are a few other factors to think about. Most mfg want to cover their arse with an engine. More octane doesn't really hurt anything. So it's fair to give a range a bit higher then may be absolutely needed. Timing does play a big role in how much or little octane can be run. Another thing to think about is most of us engine guys know 4 strokes pretty well. You can get away with lower octane and higher compression with modern engines because of the controls system. With knock sensors the engine can adjust timing accordingly. We don't have that on 2 strokes (pertaining strictly to 1/5 rc) so that leads to more octane is better then possibly running on the verge of not enough. So really I don't think were arguing a point of what's enough or not, just stating what is common practice vs mfg recommendations. Same thing with oil ratio. 25 to 1 is stupid imo. 32 to 1 would be more then enough, but the mfg recommends 25 to 1 based off covering their arse. I find it's been nice to have an open, nice, and informational discussion about it.

I don't think anyone is saying it wont run issue free on 93. And let's also remember that the addition of oil will effect the burn rate of the fuel a bit. Ie lower the octane rating. I don't have a chart for this or know how much oil equals to what octane numbers. And there are a few other factors to think about. Most mfg want to cover their arse with an engine. More octane doesn't really hurt anything. So it's fair to give a range a bit higher then may be absolutely needed. Timing does play a big role in how much or little octane can be run. Another thing to think about is most of us engine guys know 4 strokes pretty well. You can get away with lower octane and higher compression with modern engines because of the controls system. With knock sensors the engine can adjust timing accordingly. We don't have that on 2 strokes (pertaining strictly to 1/5 rc) so that leads to more octane is better then possibly running on the verge of not enough. So really I don't think were arguing a point of what's enough or not, just stating what is common practice vs mfg recommendations. Same thing with oil ratio. 25 to 1 is stupid imo. 32 to 1 would be more then enough, but the mfg recommends 25 to 1 based off covering their arse. I find it's been nice to have an open, nice, and informational discussion about it.
The reason they recommend 95-100 may actually be for the reason you just said. I didn't even think about accounting for the oil being added. I bet 93 would run it fine, but since we're adding oil we're reducing the octane rating. Hmmm.

I have 10g of the stuff. Won't be going back anytime soon? I'm just about done building the L5t and my Vekta shat a carrier bearing on its maiden c12 voyage. No results yet.
Cool I just picked up a rcmax 46 and I see that's the recommendation so t thought about getting some to try. The local speed shop has it in stock and it's no more expensive then anything else for these things?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks