oops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heraclitus7

unfortunately i tightened or should i say overtightened the bolt attaching the muffler assembly to the cylinder head...stripped thread .i order locktite rethreading solution .hopefully it will work..before tightening the bolts didnt feel like they were very secure ..the washers were not flush against the plate ..oh well..

thank you for your advice
do you know the what size tapping set
just ordered a bag of bolts for km001..maybe ill go to hardware store and size up.

i have g320 and according to the manual its an m5. so get the bolt out and measure the length sure it will be m5 x 40
then the tap should be one size bigger so m6 or m5.5 if there is a 5.5
just to be clear diameter m5 = 5mm but realy just measure diameter and length and get the next diameter up! but check tap size first and buy bolt according to that (y) and buy same length

i have g320 and according to the manual its an m5. so get the bolt out and measure the length sure it will be m5 x 40
just to be clear diameter m5 = 5mm but realy just measure diameter and length and get the next diameter up! but check tap size first and buy bolt according to that (y) and buy same length
thanks again for your expertise and advise it surely is appreciated..

They should have put helicoils / inserts in them from the factory. With all the exhaust retention issues, and lack of space to with some headers it doesn't take much to gut the threads out. ?

They should have put helicoils / inserts in them from the factory. With all the exhaust retention issues, and lack of space to with some headers it doesn't take much to gut the threads out. ?

Um no .
If they did that you would be buying a new head instead of a a heli-coil kit and a little time . For those that don't know always start your screws counter clockwise till you feel the screw /bolt drop into the threads then turn the screw clockwise. It's very easy to cross thread a screw/bolt if you're not careful . Also remember you're not working on a real car Inch-lbs not foot-lbs . It's way to easy to over torque screws /bolts on these things .

Sorry to repeat something that most of us know but it still needs to be mentioned every once and a while .

I believe you mistook my post. Most inserts and all forms of helicoils I know of are made of stainless steel. Which provides a much stronger thread than aluminum ever could. Especially on the exhaust side of the head. This is normal in most higher end automotive heads. Ergo would be nice if they would do it from the get go.
I apologize if I offended anyone.

Nut/stud/bolt job(y)...or re-thread(y)....or new head(y).....
yeah i like options
rhanks for the info first time seeing this
Um no .
If they did that you would be buying a new head instead of a a heli-coil kit and a little time . For those that don't know always start your screws counter clockwise till you feel the screw /bolt drop into the threads then turn the screw clockwise. It's very easy to cross thread a screw/bolt if you're not careful . Also remember you're not working on a real car Inch-lbs not foot-lbs . It's way to easy to over torque screws /bolts on these things .

Sorry to repeat something that most of us know but it still needs to be mentioned every once and a while .
its good and appreciated even with the risk of redundancy ,,thanks
OP this is what you want to do right here . Good luck . Pretty easy to do.
i already ordered tap set hopefully it will work out.if not ill try the coil. if thats a bust 33.00 bucks for a new head .
yeah i like options

rhanks for the info first time seeing this

its good and appreciated even with the risk of redundancy ,,thanks

i already ordered tap set hopefully it will work out.if not ill try the coil. if thats a bust 33.00 bucks for a new head .
now im being redundant ..

Last edited:
I believe you mistook my post. Most inserts and all forms of helicoils I know of are made of stainless steel. Which provides a much stronger thread than aluminum ever could. Especially on the exhaust side of the head. This is normal in most higher end automotive heads. Ergo would be nice if they would do it from the get go.
I apologize if I offended anyone.
No misunderstanding .I know they are usually made from SS. I use Helicoils daily. If a helicoil gets torn out the only way to fix it is to possibly drill the hole bigger and put a larger insert in or an aluminum slug welded in then drilled and tapped. Most people don't have those kinds of resources . I'm a Manufacturing Eng. Tech. by trade . Once a helicoil threaded hole is screwed we scrap the metalwork.

No misunderstanding .I know they are usually made from SS. I use Helicoils daily. If a helicoil gets torn out the only way to fix it is to possibly drill the hole bigger and put a larger insert in or an aluminum slug welded in then drilled and tapped. Most people don't have those kinds of resources . I'm a Manufacturing Eng. Tech. by trade . Once a helicoil threaded hole is screwed we scrap the metalwork.

Yep I understand. before I went to work for the township I worked as a heavy duty diesel mechanic. We had the good fortune of having a machine shop in the back of the building. Learned a lot about machine work from those guys. I really miss the Bridgeport and the lath... but I'm home every night and the wife and kids like tha.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks